At Boston Celtics March 1st, 1:00 PM

Discussion in 'March 2009' started by Dlev59, Feb 26, 2009.

1. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I don't know how on earth he managed to make his numbers look so good. He made that three pointer to ice the game, but I can't ignore how often Pierce abused him and made him look like a rookie out there...

2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Does the end of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th not signify quarters?

Did BOS not make their initial run of the game immediately after Max checked into the game for Dyess and Davis started hammering him for boards? DET had kept them off the glass up until that point.

Max also committed and 1 fouls on Pierce that he converted. I don't see any of that as Herrman's fault.

3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

How many of those times did the "no help out defense" duo of Sheed and Dyess contribute to that abuse. Why did Pierce never manage to abuse Prince when we played a decent defensive unit? (Stuckey, Rip, Tay, JMAX, Sheed)

Tay is just one guy. It takes a team to stop a superstar scorer. Thankfully, Curry put in a "team" for maybe 8 minutes of the game. (Why not the whole game - we have the players for it.)

4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

As mentioned, Rip basically kept Allen out of the game. Darn good all around game for Rip. And he was even lucky enough to avoid being in the game much with Herrmann, and so had a great plus minus for the game.

5. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

So true. This gang of four has embarrassed the organization and this team, in my mind, has not changed its arrogant ways. Combine this with a coach who over-coaches and sticks his finger to the wind noticeable points for some very big moves this summer.

6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Herrmann's quote was hilarious.

He's been hanging out with MC too much.

7. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

There was more to it IIRC; something about to get championship we must play good LOL.

Oh and Sheed's explanation for the turn-around;

And i find it hysterical the way Tay talks about things; like it's an out of body experience and he's watching himself/the team play;
    or
    Pistons look like old selves again | detnews.com | The Detroit News

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The way Tay speaks is a manner of deflecting specificity to any of his comments.

9. yes-sir

yes-sir First Round Draft Pick

DEEEETROIT BAAASKETBALL!!

Was following the game on my phone last night, just waiting for the page to refresh again so i could see if we were winning! And we pulled it out, great win. I like the addition of Will Bynum, contributed brilliantly in this game, getting to the bucket frequently. Still need to find minutes for Affalo though...

Man, i just wish i could see a Pistons game for reeeal!! Not on the internet!

Also, 2Tough4You, you made me chuckle with the high fiving a hot chick :laugh:

10. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I caught the 3rd and 4th quarters but seeing this team attack the basket and draw fouls was a refreshing change to previous seasons. I was generally unimpressed with Stuck and I absolutely hates the plays where he brought up the ball and Rip came up to him inside of half court and got a virtual hand off. What is that? Thought his defense was unfocused and he made bad decisions guarding Rondo. This generally forces the big to rotate on rondo and left Davis wide open. Maybe that was the gameplan. Who would expect him to hit what 10 20 footers?

Rip was great but neither him nor Tay can handle the ball underpressure all that well.
    I kinda liked watching Rasheed with the ball in the high post and wished they worked that more and got better off the ball movement.

11. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I didn't give it that much thought, but that's a good point. Although, with Tay's way of speaking and his love for obviously, i'm not sure if he does intentionally either.

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Good advice.

13. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I had stuff to do all day yesterday, so I taped the game. It took a lot of will power to not check out the score all day. I finally watched it at 10pm and it was a treat. I really liked the ball movement and the extra passes.

People keep ripping on Prince, but did anybody else on the team do a better job on Pierce? Tay did some great hustle plays too. Picking up the ball from the floor, doing a crossover among 3 Boston players to pass the ball to Max was a great move. I was really concerned when Davis grabbed his ankle in a similar play in the 4th. Luckily he was ok.

I have to say my absolute favorite stretch of the game was when Bynum harrassed Marbury and stole the ball twice in a row. It was priceless. I thought it wasn't gonna get any better than that, but we got the win! :greenapple:

As good as this felt, Prof is right. This team won't go far in the playoffs as it is constructed sans AI. I am really curious to see how AI coming off the bench will work. While there is a possibility that AI will turn our second unit into the most explosive, most productive second unit in the league, I am worried about the defensive liability of playing AI and Herrmann together. I'm really concerned about Curry's new fascination with "playing Prince & Herrmann together".

But, I hope that these two games were the spark we were looking for all season long, AI explodes off the bench, and we finish the season on a tear and grab 4th seed and make some noise in the playoffs (read: 7th consecutive ECF).

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah, how can a guy be so into SB and now be so into BB? Prince at the SG qualifies as big ball, right? This guy was guarding Duncan in the Finals a couple years ago.

15. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Medium ball?

16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

WH 16 min -10 yet 4 for 5 and 11 pt
    Bynum 12 min -5 yet ~4 or 5 and 9 pt
    ???

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's either that they played bad defense or that it is a small sample and 1) their teammates had a bad stretch on offense or defense or 2) the other team happened to have an above average stretch through luck alone.

You'll never know which it was, but the longer that pattern holds up, the less likely that it was pure luck.

It's like playing great poker and losing. Maybe you did everything you could and got unlucky... or maybe you have a hole in your game that you need to look for.

18. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

In this case I think both players were the only ones for Det. that were scoring. And serveral were scoring for Celt.
    I.E. our offense stopped.

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

So far this year, that has been our downfall.

That's what happens when we get rid of an offensive guru like Flip!

20. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

It feels like I didn't watch the same game as some people. I thought Hermann was excellent. The only time the team played poorly when he was in was at the end of the first when Boston went on a 9-0, and you can't blame him for any of those points.

I think if Hermann gets the PT he needs, he'll be our best guy off the bench due to his scoring and size mismatches he creates at the 2 and 3.

While JMax played well, his defense is still a liability, and I don't ever see that changing. Big Baby had a field day against him. As a situational player, he's fine.

As far as the rest of the team, I guess there's still hope. But Joe needs to get a real center (calling DMC) and a replacement PF next summer.