At Atlanta January 12th, 7:30PM

Discussion in 'January 2007' started by Dlev59, Jan 10, 2007.

1. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Flip Saunders on Violet Palmer: [Rasheed] wasn't talking to the officials, he was talking to Josh Smith. But, you know, those bit... young officials, they do those things.
  2. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We would have won this game if Atlanta would not have had their best shooting night of the season. These were not all open J's. JJ going 12-12 before missing? Childress draining everything? Even their bigs were hitting those tough mid-rangers.

That is why I'm not overly worried about the outcome.

Also, combine that with the fact that the 3 guys that played point guard for us tonight (WB, Flip, and Delf) went 5 for 23. You can't win with that.

Major complaints:
    JMax should never sit the bench that long again. And Flip's perverted small-ball lineup killed us for a good 3 minutes toward the end before he was forced to reinsert DD. That was the period when the Hawks got 5 offensive rebounds in a row! And nice way to prove you belong in the starting lineup Nazr. Show some pride. And where was Dyess? 7 points for our entire bench? More techs for Rip and Sheed...

OK, now for the positives:

Dale Davis is good enough to be our starting center.
    Sheed limited his 3's and went to work inside, played hard, rebounded.
    Rip was aggressive.
    Tay continued to hit his 3's.
    Delfino was extremely active on defense and pumped up the team with his passing. Also proved that he can do a better job at the point than our #3 PG.
  4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Another loss. But at least some change in the wind to talk about, and some changes from this game.

First, Dale Davis started and put up a double double. Rumor is that he or McDyess will be traded, along with Flip Murray, to Toronto for Mo Pete. (Got this from Terry Forster interview on FSDetroit.) One thing did not happen, no free path to the basket while Dale Davis was in. Unfortunately, Atlanta, mostly Joe Johnson, was hitting all their outside shots. I was kind of ticked that Saunders waited until the 2nd half to make an adjustment on Johnson. Tay was not getting it done, and they just kept letting Tay guard him by himself anyway. Delfino helped a lot in the 2nd half, along with a simple change, double Johnson. It sure helped.

Another thing of significance happened. Delfino, and Tay some, played the point in this one. Both Blalock and Murray played a bit less point-no Blalock in the 2nd half by the way. How did it go? Ok for the most part-but I will have to study it some more. Certainly, they did have a pretty good stretch there, including when Delfino hit Davis for two straight dunks while handling up top.

Rip was on. Probably exhausted by the end of the game, where we went with Murray to try to make that last needed crucial bucket. Not a bad attempt by he got blocked at the basket. Tay was on fire again from the 3 point line. Sheed was doing a whole lot of work in the post, missing some and scoring some. Can't complain about this game as far as that goes.

Dyess was invisible. Mohammed, despite reports to the contrary, got to play in this one, and contributed nothing in his one bried stint in the game, late 1st quarter.

Surprisingly, JMAX did not play in the first half after starting the last two. He did play in the 2nd though, one stint in the 3rd quarter, a quarter we actually won. JMAX hit another seemingly effortless turn and gun from the lane. Man, does he get up there high to shoot those. (In reviewing last game, I noted JMAX shot the ball like maybe 3 feet above the defender-way overkill-and he missed the shot.)

Nice to see Dale Davis can hit his free throws, and he hit a short jumper Blalcck set him up with. Blalock also hit one shot in the lane tonight.

Flip Murray was not seen any defense really. Nothing of note anyway. He did give us some points, including some scores in crunch time. Supposedly, MoPete is a better defender, although in the few years I followed Toronto I never saw him as all that great at D. Micro, if you are out there, your opinion on that is welcome as I have not seen many Toronto games of late.

Yes, it is sad to know that the only thing that really kept us close is all those triples by Tay. Yes, I love to see Tay, my favorite Piston, do well. But I would like it a lot more if we paired up some competent guards with some competent post up players and actually used a post up game as our primary offense. Rip Hamilton again is a great scorer. But Rips scoring does not translate enough into getting the ball into the hands of Maxiell when he is in the game.

Small ball worked for a bit for us, with Delfino in with 3 guards and Sheed. However, all the sudden, it bit us bad, from about 4 minutes until 2 minutes to go in the game. We could not clear a rebound. Dale Davis came in for the last 2 minutes-sitting Delfino, and this changed. We really did have a chance to win this thing if we made just one more shot-the one that got blocked on Murray. There apparently is no realy need to go small at the end of the game anymoer. Dale Davis is a very solid player.

Lastly, I will try to repeat what was said about Webber coming here by Forster. Webber really does not want to come here due to old bad feelings from you know what. However, he also wants a ring, and he wants to start. These things he can get here. So we are not a lock. Still in the running. GO PISTONS!!!!!

5. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Detroit News CyberSurvey results
    Webber homecoming
    [​IMG]
    Should the Pistons pursue Chris Webber now that he is a free agent?

[​IMG]
    Yes[​IMG] [FONT=helvetica,arial]63.82%
    [/FONT]No[​IMG] [FONT=helvetica,arial]36.18%
    [/FONT]
    Fair post Lee.
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

This is not directed at lee, just the source of some of the comments in his recap.

Terry Foster is a moron.
    He is so far out of the loop and is notorious for making up outrageous statements or taking contrary positions to gain attention.

David Aldridge is one of the most reliable sources of NBA insider info. He broke the Larry Brown to Cleveland story two summers ago. He routinely scoops everyone. Everyone can listen to him say that Webber to Detroit is practically a done deal. Of course David Aldridge has actually talked to Chris Webber. I wonder if Foster has done the same?

I just want people to be aware when they listen to this guy that a lot of the stuff he says is strictly hot air. Don't think that his platform validates his opinion. He plain mis-reports stuff.

Now on to Mo Pete. I think he is an excellent perimeter defender. Certainly in Rip's class and I think highly of Rip at the arc. His jumpshooting is streaky, but when he is on, he is capable of putting up 18~20 points from the bench. He's also a serviceable backup starter. Certainly much moreso than Flip Murray. He also has range and never shys away from an open 3 at the sideline arc.

Good recap lee. Motown is recapping this one as well. I'm anxious to read his take.
  7. linwood

linwood All-Star

Thanks for the Leecap, bias and all. Actually, I really enjoy reading them, so keep 'em coming, please.
  8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

:confused: Some random thoughts
    Pistons lose 14th game of the year in game 34, last year they did not lose game 14 until their 69th game.:mad2:

In 2003-2006, 93 points would be a Piston victory. Now we need 100 to win...:mad:

No sports announcer has called the Pistons the best in the east for a week now. We have let the Cavs hold on to that spot for longer than I anticipated. We could have put some distance between us and the da bulls and that ain't even happening either despite their 3 game losing streak

Flip Murray was 7-19 vs the Cats and 3-12 vs the Hawks. Obviously he needs to either be passing and only shooting on a sure thing. He should never be in ther in crunch time....but neither should Blaylock so its a lose-lose situation there.

Appreciate the defense and 7 assists by Delfino, but 1-7 shooting means that he should have taken it to the rim, and his only bucket tonight was the only one that he took to the rim!! He and Davis looked good out there together hooking up on a couple of feed and dunks, to bad Flip Sr didn't recognize it in the end.

What did the brahma do that he could not come in until 6 mins left in the 3rd qtr? After all he scored 14 pts, had 3 brds and 3 blocks vs the Hawks the last time out?? Flip did you watch that tape?

Whatever happen to Dice? He and Nazr have become MIA/useless ever since the 2007 ball dropped in Times Square

Appreciate the four three balls Tay, but what happen to your defense on Joe Johnson and Adam Morrison the last two games?? and why didn't you go to the FT line tonight?:noidea:

Good start by Davis 12 pts , 10 brds and 3 blks. Better showing than both NAz and Max. He should start until we hear from CWebb.

Sheed tried his best, but got no help when Nazr or Dice was in there and even Tay was to busy chasing JJ and getting there a second to late.

Thanks for the 32 pts Rip, but you got to have composure near the end of the game. You are up to 8 techs already. We need you playing in the post season buddy..

CB I hope you have been taking notes and will restore order. Your offseason bargaining value just went up.

Flip Sr?? WTF kind of coaching are you doing? Do you really want to go back to the Gophers that bad? Keep up this clueless coaching and you will be on your way back there fast...:swear2:

Joe D. I hope your negotiations skills are in top order. Do you have any damaging pictures on CWebb that will force him to sign here? Of course he will be not be enough, Mopete, Bonzi or anybody other than Flip Jr is needed to get this bench going. According to this picture there is a family named Sprewell that is starving that will take food stamps to play for you.

ShamSports.com: NBA Family Portraits
  9. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Re: Webber---I don't believe anything any of those writers or the radioheads at either sports station say. If and when it happens, then I figure Dumars did what he wanted and it was the right thing, until then-----not a one of them know anymore than we do.
    One thing I hate more than anything else is dipstick writers proclaiming their awesome insight and wisdom in figuring out what is going to happen with personnel moves---like it's their advice that made it happen---and Dumars listens to every bit of it.
    Hey dudes, I got some beachfront property in Branson I can sell ya!

btw, someone wanna set Flip Saunders down on the bench for "basketball reasons"?
  10. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

GREAT JOB, MR CT...me, Im too frustrated to post anything..all I know is this....Chauncey billups was 5th in MVP voting las year and Ben Wallace was DPOY. We had neither tonight and without them, we ARE theDetroit Pistons of Teal Gone By!
  11. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

flip murray sucks.

delfino would have threw that dunk down. everyone ripping on delfino's shooting but watch how he bounces back next game.
  12. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Micro, we are indeed playing at a very low level. I noticed this back at the New Jersey game and pointed it out. We have been plain bad. It has been hard for me to watch.

The zone is broken. We can't sustain any momentum. As soon is we get a run, the zone leaves a wide open look. The zone is suppose to be strategic, not continual. Teams our regularly getting 100 points on our zone.

The coach is so predictable on offense too. The Rip show didn't work (of course it wouldn't) and so he goes to a steady diet of Sheed down low. We all want to see Sheed down low but with a sudden reversal and without any flow, the results were again predictable. This topsy-turvy situation indicates that we really have no offensive system. The offense is not better than with Larry. Larry had a system.

On the positive, it was good to see Davis down on the block. Let's keep him. Why are we not working Maxiel? He is our only bench player who can score game in and game out. He should get touches all the time.

Man, do we need a back-up point guard. I don't blame the coach on that one.

Joe, get to work.
  13. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Anybody think we need to stand pat?
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Since they are playing it on Sportscenter, it was fairly easy to figure out how Johnson was getting his shots. (responsible defender)

#1- (Tay) step back jumper
    #2- (Flip) dribbled to the seam in the zone and took J
    #3- (Rip) curled off screen and took J
    #4- (Flip) cross court pass to arc. zone was slow to recover.
    #5- (Rip) pick and pop.
    #6- (Tay) screen and defender was forced under.
    #7- (Sheed) JJ went cross court baseline without ball to the arc. Sheed tried, but couldn't get out there in time. We were in zone.
    #8- (Tay) pump fake and drive.
    #9- (JMax) another baseline stroll to the arc when we were in zone
    #10- (Tay) just drove right past him and made shot while getting fouled by Davis.

It was one of those performances that we are used to seeing Rip have. He was using his teammates well to get open. He was moving without the ball. And he was releasing very quickly. The few times we overplayed him, he just drove right by us. He was exploiting the zone quit a bit.

The only play that the effort looked weak was #4.
  15. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Nobody respects our defense anymore... I don't think Ben is the factor he used to be either.
  16. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Untill we get a backup PG... Delfino should be it. 7 dimes to 1 TO in only 20 minutes make the 1 for 7 shooting easy to forget.

Dale was solid. Showcase game? I hope not. It's Nazr or Dice that need to be shipped.
  17. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

just compare the minutes played...
    RIP - 43
    Sheed- 40
    Tay- 45
    And the Pistons still lost.
    With the Hawks, Johnson played 36, 2 others 30, CHildress 38. Why is Flip always returning to his old bad habits (play the starters as much as possible and hope they get it done) insted of trying to bring some new energy off the bench? Why did JMax play only 5 mins? 7 and 8 for Nazr and McDyess? I don't get it, can they be that bad?
  18. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

It's called panicking
  19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

He might not be, but we simply do not play defense.
  20. barbara SanAntone

barbara SanAntone First Round Draft Pick

LA Dre, that is so funny:pound: How do you guys find this stuff?:)