Articles worth mentioning

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Jun 22, 2009.

1. G-man

G-man Starter

Lebron Effect .... Cleveland is Happy

LeBron James more likely to stay a Cav if salary cap continues to drop Brian Windhorst - Cleveland Plain Dealer

"The memo was jarring and if it comes true, it could change everything many expect to happen next year. The reduction was not totally unexpected but to see the projected numbers was sobering. It may not be an exaggeration either, this past season NBA revenues increased 2.5 percent and the salary cap still fell $1 million, just the second drop in the 25-year history of the cap. Revenue is expected to fall next season.
    But that situation is also the good news. Perhaps . . . very good news.

In trying to boil it down and make it as easy as possible to understand, if the cap drops as predicted, then James' financial incentive to remain with the Cavs will increase exponentially."

LeBron James more likely to stay a Cav if salary cap continues to drop - cleveland.com
  2. G-man

G-man Starter

3. G-man

G-man Starter

Bosh Tagged & Bagged?

Might this keep Bosh in town? Frank Zicarelli - Toronto Sun

"One of the first to reach out to Hedo Turkoglu was Chris Bosh. The two had a brief phone conversation, but the moment left an impression with the newest Raptor. "When I heard his voice, I was nervous,'' Turkoglu said. "Then I was happy to hear him welcome me."

Turkoglu's presence will be welcome because he is that offensively gifted. And it may even persuade Bosh to stick around beyond this season. "

Might this keep Bosh in town? | Basketball | Sports | Toronto Sun
  4. G-man

G-man Starter

Millsaps bumpy Ride...

The latest in the Millsap adventures Jazz won't mind a taxing year
    Sean Deveney - The Baseline, Sporting News

"Now, it may be that Utah is trying to bluff teams out of making a big offer for Millsap, in hopes that maybe he'll be forced to accept the one-year qualifying offer this year (just over $1 million), allowing the Jazz to give him a big contract next year. But the Jazz are listening to trade offers for Boozer. There was talk of a deal that would send Boozer to Chicago (which the Bulls denied Thursday to Yahoo! Sports), and another deal that would have sent Boozer to Detroit. Certainly, if there's a chance the Jazz will trade Boozer, they will need to keep Millsap in the fold."

SportingNews.com - The Baseline_
  5. G-man

G-man Starter

The song remains the same...

Source: Wife Will Sway Grant Hill to Sign With Knicks
    Tim Povtak - The Fan House

"Tamia's singing career swings things in Knicks' favor."

"Not many free agents in any sport elect to play in New York City because of "family reasons.'' According to a source, it looks like Grant Hill will. Hill, the 36-year-old small forward, is leaning toward accepting an offer from the Knicks instead of the Boston Celtics or Phoenix Suns on Thursday, and a major reason is his wife Tamia, a national recording artist who would benefit greatly from him playing in New York City."

Source: Wife Will Sway Grant Hill to Sign With Knicks | NBC New York

Hmmm..seems like the same story we heard when Grant left us at midnight to sign with Orlando. The Devos family spent a lot of time wooing Tamia about Orlando being the best place for her singing career.
    Goes around comes around..
  6. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Re: The song remains the same...

Someone has to explain this to me. Tamia has a wonderful singing voice whereever see lives. Maybe because of the Multiple Sclerosis she doesn't want to travel. I understood Orlando and Phoenix because I thought the cold weather was not good for her MS. She is very talented. I have two of her CD. I just don't understand. Who would want to live in New York?
  7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

First Mrs. Turkolu and now Mrs. Hill....

Do we know if Milsap or Bass are married or if there is any decent FA out there who's wife wants to move to Detroit? :)
  8. G-man

G-man Starter

9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Re: Tamia's impact on Hill's leaving Detroit

Thanks G-man this is an excellent list of everything Detroit.

I need share this with some of my EMU alumni chums as we had a discussion a couple of weeks ago about the most famous EMU athletes .

The anecdotes about the sports couples are priceless as are the all body parts team.....led by none other than Chris Pusey :MusicBigGrin:
  10. G-man

G-man Starter

Negotiating the Deal...

Weekly Countdown: The art of negotiating, free-agent notes, more Ian Thomson - Inside the NBA - CNNSI

"Before a GM sits down at the negotiating table, he needs to understand what the player's agent is going to say. That understanding is crucial to negotiation.

"I got this from [Bob] Whitsitt," Warkentien said of his former boss when Whitsitt was GM of the SuperSonics and later president of the Trail Blazers. `"What are they thinking at the other guy's breakfast table? You sit there and spend all day thinking about why you're right, why your position is just."

The experts at Harvard crystallized that point of view. Instead of fine-tuning your own argument, predict the reasoning of your opponent. "And then find all of the commonalities," Warkentien said. Because if you can find points of agreement, then you have a chance of pulling the opponent to your side of the table."

Nuggets GM Mark Warkentien learns art of negotiating at Harvard - Ian Thomsen - SI.com
  11. G-man

G-man Starter

We don't want no stinkin Boozer..

Sources: Boozer at heart of 3-team talks
    Marc Stein / Chad Ford - ESPN

"The Detroit Pistons, meanwhile, continue to be widely mentioned as a trade suitor for Boozer, but sources with knowledge of Detroit's thinking insisted again Friday that the Pistons will not join the trade bidding for the Team USA power forward because they think Tayshaun Prince and newly signed Charlie Villanueva will complement each other better than Boozer and Villanueva would."

Chicago Bulls prefer Jerryd Bayless of the Portland Trail Blazers in in 3-way trade talks including Utah Jazz - ESPN
  12. G-man

G-man Starter

Waiter - check please....

The Perils of overwhelming salary fatigue
    Bethelem Shoals - The Baseline - Sporting News

"As an "NBA expert" and ardent fan, this state of things makes me both sad and enraged. I resent all the time it takes me to understand a deal like Marion-to-Dallas; I'm annoyed that the airwaves are populated with folks who simply don't care that they don't know, or won't take the time to do the necessary research. I also think casual fans are left with two options: blather along as if things weren't an impenetrable mess, or refrain from all fantasy and dream scenario. These are important parts not only of covering a sport, but enjoying it. That they've ended up sapping energy that could be better used elsewhere is enough to make me want to crusade for a CBA anyone can make sense of."

SportingNews.com - The Baseline

13. G-man

G-man Starter

Celtic Kooks or the rich get richer

Technically speaking, Boston's dysfunctional with or without 'Sheed Ken Berger - Sportsline / CBS Sports

"I think it's a good fit, for Wallace and for the Celtics. Do I think it's good for the NBA that, with the exception of Toronto, the only teams making moves to improve themselves this summer are title contenders? Not at all. Wallace to Boston, Shaq to Cleveland, Richard Jefferson to San Antonio, and Ron Artest to the Lakers -- all these moves merely ensure that the chasm between the haves and the have-nots is growing exponentially."

Technically speaking, Boston's dysfunctional with or without 'Sheed - NBA - CBSSports.com Basketball
  14. G-man

G-man Starter

Cubans deep pockets

Mavs choose to reload, not rebuild Scott Howard Cooper CNNSI

"Cuban will spend to an extreme, just not foolishly. He'll hold back for a 10th-seeded team and go to work on a recovery plan, but give him a real shot at 50-something victories and a playoff run and just try prying away the checkbook. In this case, the big finish showed Cuban and Co. what could be. That's the only explanation for the spending spree."

Mark Cuban, Mavericks choose to reload, not rebuild - Scott Howard-Cooper - SI.com
  15. G-man

G-man Starter

Odom's in a box..

Lamar Odom: Rebel Without a Cause
    Sporting News - The Forum Blog

"The Lakers and Odom are still far apart in the negotiations although from the Lakers standpoint there really isn’t anything to negotiate. Either Lamar takes the $7 million the Lakers are offering or he doesn’t. No team was willing to pay him $10 million as we see now."

Sporting News - Your expert source for MLB Baseball, NFL Football, NBA Basketball, NHL Hockey, NCAA Football, NCAA Basketball and Fantasy Sports scores, blogs, and articles
  16. Star Jones

Star Jones First Round Draft Pick

Okay.

1. Most of the top notch producers and labels are either in New York or Los Angeles. Most of the top notch recording studios are either in New York or Los Angeles. She would have a better working situation in New York than she would anywhere else, including Boston.

Even if she couldn't resume a professional recording career, there are more clubs and venues where she could work and be with her family than anywhere else.

2. I would love, love, love to live in New York City. I absolutely adore the city.

It doesn't matter anymore since he's staying, but that was pretty cool that he was willing to make a potential sacrifice in his career considering how many she made in hers for him.
  17. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I should not have written that. I love New York just like anyone else, but they are better places to live and Arizona is one of them. I have a friend with MS and she suffers during the cold winters with her joints.

We were driving in Manhattan today running errands and I think my blood pressure must have risen 50 points or so due to the lack of movement in traffic. There should be a study conducted on the effects of heavy traffic on one's health.
  18. G-man

G-man Starter

19. G-man

G-man Starter

Iverson's ego own worst enemy

Steve Aschburner - Inside the NBA - Sports Illustrated

"At 34, Iverson still is quick enough, slippery enough and crafty enough to change games.

What he doesn't have, though, is the attitude for it. Or the personality, the ego, the inclination or the confidence. Iverson always has been the league's most self-contained offensive player, a dynamic, irrepressible and (pound for pound) generally durable scorer who asks as much of his own team's attack as he forces upon the other team's defense."

Allen Iverson's ego may mean career seen out in irrelevance - Steve Aschburner - SI.com
  20. G-man

G-man Starter

Smush Gushing

Vegas: Is Smush Parker Back?
    Alex Raskin - Hoopsworld

"Rumors surrounded Parker's descent but he may be proving his critics wrong by displaying the perfect summer league attitude. He knows that forcing shots, isolation plays and frustration fouls are a one-way ticket back to Guangdong.

"As a point guard you have to pick up your personnel in practice," he said. "Whether it's two days, three days, you just have to get a feel for your team. Everything else is a wing. You wing it out there. You can't plan certain things out there. As I said, you just have to play your game."

Parker has grown from a player that may have struggled with instruction to someone who doesn't need any. The Raptors haven't given him any specifics on how to make the team—he already knows what to do."

HOOPSWORLD