Are You Comfortable With Nazr Mohammed As Our Starting Center?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Aug 6, 2007.

1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    He would be a MAJOR upgrade over Nazr.
  2. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Without question. Camby was the best defensive center in the NBA last year.
  3. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Now that is funny.

:hoops:
  4. mikhail1973

I can hear Ben's rumblings somewhere in Chicago.
    :MusicBigGrin:
  5. buddahfan

The only way that I would consider trading for Camby is if we could give him a one year contract with the second year at our option and we didn't have to trade any of our core guys or young guys to get him

I just don't trust the durability of his body. Over the years he has just been out of action too much and coming up on 34 it is not likely to get any better. He is just too high a risk, to commit to for more than a year or to give up a front line player or promising young guy for.

If Denver thought he had an upside or would at least remain on last year's level for another 2 to 3 years, they wouldn't be looking to move him for any price, given the year he had last year.

I would rather see minutes that Camby would get with us go to AJ.

The Denver Post - Hawking for a Camby trade

6. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I totally agree, an aging Camby is not feasible if you have to give up any of our young players. I probably would hand over Flip or Nazr though. Camby is probably only good or serviceable for one more year.

The Denver Post - Hawking for a Camby trade
  7. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

You are right about that Motown. He eeked out a good year last year, he is really gonna have to strain like a constipated cow to get another one like that.
  8. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Not going to happen unless draft picks and a starter is traded.

He is too old, not durable and what minutes he would have to play in order to be a force would diminish JMax and Amir. Both of the latter need to get solid and consistent minutes which to me means 15-25 per game. This should increase as the winter trade deadline comes into focus. JD, in all likelihood, will take a very close look at the ball club around the 30 plus mark and then make the most appropriate moves. The beginning of the first half will be an excellent test for this ball club since this is going to be a rough schedule. Many teams have upgraded in the traditional hopes of solidifying a run to stay competitive, especially in the East. Which means that JD should be able to pick someone's pocket in the West.
  9. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Camby with Sheed would create the old no fly zone. He fits very well. The future is now with this core. I would trade a 1st round pick for him. We would again look tough with Camby next to Sheed. It would be almost Ben-like. We would only need a big body (a scrub type) to help with fouls on the big centers.
  10. buddahfan

I never saw one of those and I don't think I would ever like to.

Just the sound of it stinks!! LOL

11. mikhail1973

Why couldn't Camby have another huge year? With Pistons, for example, he'd get boards since nobody else seems to care to pick up the ball. He'd be great defensively since Pistons defense is adept to funneling offensive flow to the shot-blocker. He wouldn't need to put in all the minutes and we have Arnie.
    Now, I wouldn't give up any of our starters to get him, but a combination of Nazr, Flip, Lindsey, and the 1st rounder would work. I don't think Denver is going to want to go through with that. Maybe as season goes along and they get more desperate. But someone like Washington maybe able to put a better package together with Haywood being on a shorter contract than Nazr.
  12. DeetroitDynasty-e

DeetroitDynasty-e First Round Draft Pick

I'd also like to point out that with KG, Zach Randolph, a healthy Wade (meaning a better Heat with a threatening Shaq), and more mature Bosh and D Howard, we can't afford to be weak in the middle. The East is getting better, especially in the middle...
  13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Great point. At this point Sheed is only our only good defender. Maxiell can get blocks, but is too small to be a prescence for 48 minutes. Amir does not look big enough to defend the paint greatly. Nazr fouls too much, and Dice is getting slower.

The Pistons don't need a great shot blocker and a rebounder. One of the two would be fine, but both would be great. Camby would be both.

If the Pistons are always looking to the future than CB and Sheed might as well be traded right now. The Pistons are looking to the future now (at least it seems that way), but the core is still great.
  14. buddahfan

I agree that it would probably be very difficult for AJ to guard the big centers that post up low on the block because of the weight difference, however not withstanding that issue, which at times is a big issue, AJ has shown that he can block and rebound with the best of them.

He led the SL this year in rebounds per game. Only 1 game but he still had to get those 12 boards.

He averaged 10 boards and 3 blocks per game in the D league this year.

In eight games with us this last year he averaged 12 boards per 40 minutes, which while not great would still work out to close to 10 boards a game if he started.

His rebounding numbers should also get better as he gets older and stronger. K. Garnett averaged under 10 rebounds per 40 minutes in each of the first three years he was in the league so I would expect AJ's very good rebounding numbers to go up. KG's rebounds per 40 minutes was its highest in his 9th year at almost 14.

Big Ben's rebounds per minute numbers also went up from his early years in the league until he hit his prime with the Pistons. He started out in his rookie year averaging just under 12 rebounds per 40 minutes and hit his peak total per minute 6 years later at 16 rebounds per 40 minutes.

In fact AJ averaged more rebounds per 40 minutes last year with us in his 8 games 11.9 than Big Ben did in his first year in the league of only 11.8 rebounds per 40 minutes.

AJ also averaged over 4.3 blocks per 40 minutes with us which was higher than Camby who averaged 3.9 rebounds per 40 minutes.

Camby led the league in BSG with 3.3. He was the only player who averaged over 2.8 BSG that qualified for the title. So I think we will see that AJ will be among the league leaders in BSG once he starts playing regularly.

NBA Development League: Amir Johnson Player Info

Amir Johnson Statistics - Basketball-Reference.com

http://www.factmonster.com/sports/basketball/nba-leaders-2007.html

Kevin Garnett Statistics - Basketball-Reference.com

Ben Wallace Statistics - Basketball-Reference.com

15. DeetroitDynasty-e

DeetroitDynasty-e First Round Draft Pick

I think Amir will grow into a player very similar to Sheed in many respects, maybe a little more athletic, hungrier for rebounds, and approx the same knack for blocks (maybe more). I think he would be good to help cover a Center but i see him getting abused by big guys with big leverage down low. We need another big body we can put in there and bang in there for a solid 10-15 min a game. I'd prefer someone other than NazMo starting, but if we had a guy like Dale Davis, or similar, i wouldn't mind seeing NazMo and mystery man splitting 20-30 min at Center (depending on the match up) and the rest of the time divided among Sheed, Dice, and AJ. J-Max almost exclusively playing PF...
  16. mikhail1973

This is the most plausible out of everything I've read so far. AJ is not strong enough to play 5. JMax is not big enough.
  17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Situationally, players can be used in various positions. In those scenarios, it comes down to skills, not size.
  18. mikhail1973

It is possible, but I'd have to see it to believe that AJ and JMax could handle some minutes at 5. I can see them against the small lineups, but other than that would draw a big question mark.
  19. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Adonal Foyle anyone?

He just got bought out from the Warriors. Question is: is he better than Nazr? He would be a bigger defensive presence and he can block shots. Maybe a slow down kind of tempo would suit his game because the run and gun thing the Warriors are trying to do certainly didn't.
  20. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor