1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Are we seeing history repeat itself?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Ozarkruffrider, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Everyone remembers the Bad Boy era and how it rose up and fell away. One of the similarities is how we 'lost' Rodman---best defensive player---off the team and the rest of them with age just disintegrated.
    Also similar is how MJ finally got help in the way Pippen, could we be seeing the same in LeBron with Larry Hughes?

We also had a coaching change that did not help.
    Pistons have been on top for about the same amount of years---2 finals with one winning the championship, and then rolling through the season last year only to come up short in the conference finals. Bad boys won 2 out of 3 finals and then lost to the Bulls who were rising.

Will we see the team deteriorate like the Bad Boys did, or do you think Joe will not let that happen?

2. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

For sure- Joe D already let it happen. He destroyed the team he had built. I'd be quite surprised if the Pistons become a title contender any time soon. I definetely don't expect them to do so.
    I also wonder about all that trade- talk. This team ain't got no trade material to make them a contender and I doubt if Joe D can be as lucky as he was in 2004 again. That was a season full of opportunities as you only gfet them once in a GM- lifetime.

3. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

No, we are not seeing history repeat itself. There are similarities but this current team was younger than the Bad Boy team and the only reason this current team did not stay together was Davidson and his penny pinching.

The cheap old coot could should have reupped Big Ben in 2004 after we won the championship and added 3 more years on to his existing contract with a hefty raise. That would have made sure he was signed until 2009. We have not had a bench for 3 years now because Davidson does not want to pay the luxury tax. So you have a excellent starting 4 now and no bench because there is no money left to spend because Davidson will not open his wallet for a few million dollars.

4. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

I don't agree that it's necessarily a once in a lifetime thing. Joe did what he did with a combination of smarts and luck. You can't control the luck part, but if you're smart and keep trying things will fall your way every few years. Remember what Joe inherited when he took over in 2000. He had a mediocre team that had been drifting for several years, and (with Grant Hill deciding to leave) few assets other than Stackhouse, in a city that had limited appeal for free agents. He took that all the way to a title in just four seasons. I think he can do it again, but I doubt that the next contender from Detroit will look much like this year's team.