April 2006 Pistons articles *frequent updates*

Discussion in 'Pistons Archive' started by LanierFan, Apr 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[NBA.com]

Pistons past Heat
    With their sixth consecutive win, the Pistons (61-14) moved three games ahead of the idle San Antonio Spurs for the best record in the NBA and home-court advantage throughout the postseason. Meanwhile, the Heat (49-26) now are just 2 1/2 games ahead of the surging New Jersey Nets, who defeated the Charlotte Bobcats, 113-102, earlier Thursday.

Are You There God? It's Me, Flea [Blog Excerpt]
    ... the pistons are so good because detroit needs them
    god's gift to detroit is the pistons and aretha franklin and george
    clinton and united sound and motown

[Miami Herald]

Pistons beat undermanned Heat
    The Heat missed all 10 of their 3-point tries, were outrebounded 42-40 and had only their two stars manage more than six points.

Detroit won the season series 3-1 over the team it beat in last year's Eastern Conference finals, and has won nine of 14 matchups between the clubs since the start of last season.

Israel Gutierriez Blog: Fresh perspective
    I thought Derek Anderson had great things to say about the Heat's troublesome patterns against the Pistons. Here's what he told me about whether or not Thursday's game meant something, if you didn't read it in the paper:

“You don’t just click it on and say, ‘Yeah, we can beat you when we want to.’ You’ve got to find a way of beating people and you have to change things .... I don’t know, from a coaching standpoint, what he would like to do. I can’t justify what I think is right either. But something has to be different when these guys continually beat us.”

[South Florida Sun-Sentinel]

Heat is overwhelmed by Pistons
    No, this Heat team is not good enough to defeat the Pistons. Then again, this Heat team isn't likely to advance to the Eastern Conference finals for a rematch.

Shorthanded, short from the 3-point arc and too short to contend with Detroit's length, the Heat fell 95-82 Thursday night at AmericanAirlines Arena to finish 1-3 in the season series against the Pistons.

Pistons 95, Heat 82
    - Did the Heat go for the wrong former Kentucky Wildcat at the trading deadline, taking Derek Anderson from Houston instead of Tony Delk off the waiver wire?

- If Michael Doleac can't defend in the paint, and makes taking charges the key to his interior defense, then why not more of Wayne Simien, who at least stands as a threat on the opposite end?

- Antoine Walker made his 12th start, but hardly displayed the wherewithal to succeed at this level, shooting 3 of 11 with just four rebounds.

Skolnick: Heat's offseason acquisitions haven't caught fire this season
    The idea was to become more versatile offensively, less reliant on the two superstars .... The idea was to diversify enough to keep rolling if Wade or Shaquille O'Neal got injured .... The idea was to acquire a more consistent, dangerous, fearless third option, to present more challenges to other contenders, specifically Detroit. Yet, Thursday the team lost for a third time in four tries to the Pistons, dropping to 2-12 against division leaders, down from 5-7 last season.

So, so much for all those ideas.
  2. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[Detroit News]

Intense Pistons smother Heat
    "It's like playing poker, you don't want to show your hand too early," [Saunders] said before the Pistons executed a convincing 95-82 victory Thursday night over the rival Miami Heat in front of a sold-out house at AmericanAirlines Arena.

"On the other hand, once the game starts and we see 'Miami' across the front of their jerseys and they see 'Detroit' across ours, the competitive juices start flowing."

[Detroit Free Press]

Detroit 95, Miami 82: Grace under fire
    One thing the Heat must solve is the Tayshaun Prince riddle. Prince scored 20 for the Pistons on Thursday.

"He's their biggest problem in playing against us," Billups said. "He's a nightmare. He's a matchup nightmare."

Pistons Corner: Is MVP best player, or from best team?
    "I think it should be the best player in the league," Billups said. "And I think Kobe Bryant is the best player in the league. That's the way I always looked at the MVP award."

Lately, Milicic's play has been respectable
    Tonight will be just another chapter in one of the most bizarre NBA draft tales ever. The way this deal has gone, we can expect Darko to score 30, and the Pistons to win by 40, which would prove Dumars right and wrong, all at once.
  3. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[Detroit News]

Intense Pistons smother Heat
    "It's like playing poker, you don't want to show your hand too early," [Saunders] said before the Pistons executed a convincing 95-82 victory Thursday night over the rival Miami Heat in front of a sold-out house at AmericanAirlines Arena.

"On the other hand, once the game starts and we see 'Miami' across the front of their jerseys and they see 'Detroit' across ours, the competitive juices start flowing."

Pistons Notebook: Heat have somehow avoided a fine mess
    Rasheed Wallace, coming off a one-game suspension for reaching the limit on technicals, could only shake his head that those comments went unpunished. "That goes to show you who's running the league," he said. "Let me say something like that and they would probably try to blackball me out the league again."

... "I told you all (that he could play) but you didn't want to listen," Rasheed Wallace said of Milicic. "You all thought I was full of it. But I told a lot of people that all Darko needed was some time and he couldn't get it here because he was playing behind me, Dyess (Antonio McDyess ) and Ben (Wallace). Darko is all right."

Chauncey Billups, sitting a couple of chairs over, said with a laugh, "I wish we would have played Darko instead of you."

To which Wallace replied, "Yeah, and I wish we had Chris Paul as our point guard."

[Detroit Free Press]

Detroit 95, Miami 82: Grace under fire
    One thing the Heat must solve is the Tayshaun Prince riddle. Prince scored 20 for the Pistons on Thursday.

"He's their biggest problem in playing against us," Billups said. "He's a nightmare. He's a matchup nightmare."

Pistons Corner: Is MVP best player, or from best team?
    "I think it should be the best player in the league," Billups said. "And I think Kobe Bryant is the best player in the league. That's the way I always looked at the MVP award."

Lately, Milicic's play has been respectable
    Tonight will be just another chapter in one of the most bizarre NBA draft tales ever. The way this deal has gone, we can expect Darko to score 30, and the Pistons to win by 40, which would prove Dumars right and wrong, all at once.
  4. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[FloridaToday.com]
    "For these three years they killed almost everything in me," Milicic said, referring to the Pistons. "I never got a chance to play. I'd work every morning knowing that I wouldn't get a chance to play at night. That was a killer."

"... It was tough, but I learned through it and now this is the best for me," he said. "... It was a nightmare for me, knowing every night that I wasn't going to play. I'm happy I'm out of there."
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

[Need4Sheed]

A Few Sheedisms For Thought

For those of you who don't get to catch many games in person I would like to point out a few things that the camera sometimes misses.

Rasheed has a new habit of wearing two headbands during warm-ups one placed normally and one a bit askew, that he takes off before tip off.

Rasheed Wallace on Quite Frankly With SAS UPDATE

Rasheed Wallace on Quite Frankly With SAS UPDATE
    I just received an update email for the Rasheed Wallace's appearance on Quite Frankly.

Friday, April 7th at 11pm ET

Set your TiVo's we are only hours away from our Need4Sheed.

The Heat Not Hot Enough For The Detroit Pistons

How do you beat a team that has five of its players in double figures? For the Heat the answer is, you don't. The Pistons beat the Heat in Miami 95-82, and are now three wins away from breaking the franchise single-season win record. Tayshaun and Sheed both scored 20 in the Pistons win at Miami. Rip added 19 and Chauncey struggled a bit going 4-10 with 14 points.

[Orlando Sentinel]

Arroyo, Milicic face ex-team
    The 2 former Pistons are playing key roles in the Magic's 2nd-half turnaround.
    by Brian Schmitz

Armed with the NBA's best record, the Detroit Pistons are heading into another championship chase. Armed with college scouting reports, the Orlando Magic are heading toward another draft lottery.

In the football vernacular, maybe their meeting tonight at TD Waterhouse Centre passes as the Magic's "bowl game."

Mostly, game No. 75 carries emotional significance because of Carlos Arroyo and Darko Milicic. They will face the Pistons for the first time since they were traded by Detroit a day after Valentine's Day.

Neither player left brokenhearted.

The Magic have a good vibe going and trace it to the acquisitions of Arroyo and Milicic on Feb. 15.

[Palm Beach Post]

Pistons' message: No Wade
    by Chris Perkins

MIAMI — There's one certainty about a Miami Heat-Detroit Pistons game — as long as the Heat has guard Dwyane Wade, it has a chance to win.

So in another emotionally charged matchup between the teams most consider the best in the Eastern Conference, the Pistons again took Wade away from the Heat in the fourth quarter — and with him Miami's chance for victory.

Detroit defeated Miami 95-82 Thursday at AmericanAirlines Arena to take the season series 3-1. It was also the second time this year Detroit has held Miami to 82 points, its second-lowest total of the season.

"When we play this team we just have to do everything right," said center Shaquille O'Neal, whose team has now lost five of its past nine games.
  6. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[Slam Magazine - The Links]
    With about 5 minutes left, I started thinking about how everyone says Detroit is so hard to beat cause they have two incredibly clutch free throw shooters, and all around big shot makers in their backcourt. Not only did they both deliver as usual, but Rasheed drilled an open three, Tayshaun was left alone and hit an open jumper, and just for good measure Big Ben blocked a shot with the win in hand. Rip’s shot came off 8 screens, draining what Kevin Harlan called “THE DAGGER!!!” but my favorite play was Chauncey’s three ...
  7. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[Detroit News]

Orlando ends Pistons' win streak
    "We wasted the first half. We came out in the second half and tried to fight and claw to get back into the game. Once we got back into the game, they made big plays," Ben Wallace said. "When you play like that sometimes it gets you in the end. This was one of those nights."

Hamilton misses game in Orlando after death in family
    Hamilton flew home to Tulsa, Okla., for the services directly from Miami, where Detroit beat the Heat 95-82 Thursday night.

[Detroit Free Press]

Magic 89, Pistons 87: Conjuring up twists, reunion
    Pistons coach Flip Saunders said that both Wallaces told him they couldn't go in the final minutes.

After the game, Ben Wallace said he's not injured. Rasheed admitted he felt some back spasms but said he'd be good and ready to see the Indiana Pacers on Sunday.

Pistons Corner: Milicic reborn in Orlando
    He has a smile almost every day, and just his game speaks for himself," said Carlos Arroyo, his Magic teammate and fellow former Piston. "You can tell he's having a great time."

[Orlando Sentinel]

Staying alive: Nelson's late baskets give Orlando slim playoff hopes
    Nelson's 20-foot jump shot tied the game at 87 with 42.4 seconds left. It was his first basket since he made a lay up with eight minutes, 26 seconds left in the opening quarter.

Then, Nelson, 5 foot 10, made a difficult 12-foot fade-away over the long arm of 6-foot-9 Tayshaun Prince with 6.5 seconds remaining for the deciding basket.

[NBA.com]

Patriots top Dazzle before record crowd
    fter holding a double-digit lead for most of the game, the Fayetteville Patriots almost let it slip away before settling down and closing out the Roanoke Dazzle, 115-106, in NBA Development League action at the Crown Coliseum Friday night. The Patriots marked the final home game of the season by celebrating Fan Appreciation night and Erik Daniels didn’t disappoint the record number of fans, posting 27 points, grabbing 10 rebounds and handing out six assists.

Acker finished with 23, Johnson had 19 and Rickert hit for 18. Both had a pair of blocks and Rickert had a pair of steals as well.

[Fayetteville Observer]

Decision time nears for the Patriots
    “We’re moving the revenue needle a little bit, and we’ve drastically reduced our cost factors from year one of the operation,’’ DeMoss said. “But you’re still looking at a business plan that’s running at a loss. So they (D-League) have to look at it from the standpoint of what is their tolerance for loss and how much more can they move the revenue needle.

“I think a local owner could do that (increase revenue) probably more dramatically than I can.’’
  8. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[Booth Newspapers]

Darko and Magic top Pistons, 89-87
    Former Pistons Carlos Arroyo and Darko Milicic became the latest ex-Detroit players to exact some type of revenge against their former team, as both played well against the Pistons - and even more significant, they helped the Orlando Magic hold on for an 89-87 win.

"I didn't think it was going to be kind of weird, but it (was)," said Arroyo, who had 10 points and two assists. "I love those guys and I miss them. They were great teammates."

Pistons Notes
    Arroyo's floor game was instrumental in the Magic holding on for an 89-87 win over Detroit. In addition to a solid floor game in the first half, Arroyo also came up with a couple of huge plays - a jumper and a steal which led to a lay-up - in the fourth quarter.

Thoughts on DPOY
    I think too many people focus WAY, WAY too much on steals and blocked shots when they think about the best players on defense. I also take into account how well a team limits opponents scoring, along with how well they limit opponents shooting from the field.

If you have a dominant player who stands out defensively, and his team plays great defense, chances are his play has something to do with his teammates also being solid defenders. That's why, for me at least, this is going to once again come down to Ben Wallace and Bruce Bowen.

[Detroit Bad Boys]

More Miami aftermath; inflatable Ben is everywhere!

[Need4Sheed.com]

New Rasheed Wallace wallpaper;
    Wallace Foundation Gala & Auction honoring Joe Dumars April 21

[Believing in Magic]

Deja vu: Magic pull out another close one in beating Detroit
    This is the second game in a row in which the Magic won the game in the final minute as they beat Milwaukee on Wednesday. Not only that, but this is the third game in a row in which the Magic have beaten a playoff-caliber team. Last Friday, they beat the Dallas Mavericks.
  9. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[The Sporting News]

The real question: Can Miami's D stop Detroit?
    It seems that folks consistently ask the wrong questions. How will the Pistons stop the Heat's offense? What will they do with Shaquille O'Neal? How can they contain Wade? Will they double-team? Will they use a zone? Doesn't matter. The question that should be asked: How can Miami's defense slow down the Pistons?

.... Wade has been very poor defensively. The Pistons took advantage of it Thursday.
  10. roscoe36

[The Oakland Press]

Cheery Darko faces old friends
    by DANA GAURUDER

ORLANDO, Fla. - Darko Milicic has spent the past six weeks ripping Pistons management and coaches for not playing him. But he holds no grudges against his former teammates. In fact, he wants them to hoist another championship banner.

"When I get a chance, I check on what's going on in Detroit," said Milicic, who was traded to Orlando in February. "They're a great team. Š I liked to be around the guys. They're a bunch of good guys in Detroit. That's why they have the best record in the league. I'm wishing for another championship, because they deserve it."

Sluggish Pistons fall to Orlando
    by DANA GAURUDER

ORLANDO, Fla. - Viewers of the latest Pistons game might have thought they were playing an exhibition Friday night.

Richard Hamilton was not in the lineup. Darko Milicic played during the fi rst quarter. Rasheed Wallace and Ben Wallace didn't play in the closing minutes of a tight game while Dale Davis and Jason Maxiell filled in under suspicious circumstances.

The oddest twist of all came in the end. The downtrodden Orlando Magic beat the mighty Pistons, 89-87, at the TD Waterhouse Centre. Detroit trailed by 15 at halftime, rallied to take the lead in the fourth quarter, then lost on a 12-foot fadeaway by Magic guard Jameer Nelson with 6.5 seconds remaining.

[Daytona Beach News Journal]

Nelson's helps keep Magic hot at home
    by KEN HORNACK

ORLANDO -- It might have come too late in the season for it to really matter.

It might have come at the expense of Hedo Turkoglu.

And it might have come against what could qualify for a split-squad version of the Detroit Pistons.

But the Orlando Magic weren't about to be too picky Friday night after Jameer Nelson's 12-foot fallaway jumper over Tayshaun Prince with 6.5 seconds remaining gave them an 89-87 victory, their ninth consecutive win at the TD Waterhouse Centre.

[Lakeland Ledger]

Magic Nip Pistons; Turkoglu Injured
    by Dick Scanlon

ORLANDO -- Hedo Turkoglu was carried off the floor Friday night after the Magic's 89-87 victory over the Detroit Pistons.

But it wasn't because of his heroics. Turkoglu made 10-of13 shots and scored a gamehigh 26 points for the Magic, who won their ninth straight home game before a sellout crowd of 17,283.

When the game ended, Turkoglu was lying face-down on the floor, having injured his right knee. It dampened the celebration of the Magic's biggest victory in a long time.

Pistons' Delk Soars
    by MARC LAZZARE

ORLANDO -- The Detroit Pistons were feeling the effects Friday night of not having star shooting guard Rip Hamilton, who missed the game against Orlando because of an illness in the family.

Still, the Pistons may have found a diamond in the rough through the shooting stroke of Tony Delk. Despite missing two potential game-tying free throws, Delk finished the night with 18 points.

"It's definitely good to see Tony getting comfortable out there," said Chauncey Billups. "We were missing guys tonight, so it was important for other guys to step up. I thought Tony played great for us tonight."
  11. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[Detroit News]

Ben Wallace flips out at Saunders
    On Friday night, Ben Wallace snapped. With 7:57 left in the fourth quarter of a 89-87 loss in Orlando, and the Pistons trailing by eight points, coach Flip Saunders took Wallace out of the game. Wallace was clearly peeved. Never mind that he had played all 15 minutes of the second half to that point, he stormed to the end of the bench uttering a torrent of unprintables directed at Saunders.

[MLive.com]

Full-Court Press: Pat Riley continues to complain; what happened to Kelvin Cato?
    "I think that it affects Shaquille [O'Neal] and Dwyane, but they have to be above it," Riley said. "We are the hunters, and sometimes the hunted get certain privileges and liberties."

[NBA.com]

Flame top Patriots for team's first playoff berth
    After a rollercoaster ride through the 2005-06 NBA Development League regular season, the Florida Flame earned the first playoff berth in team history with a 107-95 victory over the Fayetteville Patriots on Saturday night .... Fayetteville was led by Amir Johnson, as the 6-10, forward/center on assignment from the Detroit Pistons tallied a double-double with game highs of 25 points and 14 rebounds. [Alex Acker had 12 points, 7 rebounds and 5 assists. Check out the final stats assembled by FreshPrince22.]
  12. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[Booth Newspapers]

Reserves get a chance in place of missing starters
    The NBA is constantly changing, but the Detroit Pistons' starting five has been the one constant -- until last week.

After an NBA-record 73 consecutive games with the same starting unit, the Pistons had to use a different group of starters in each of the last three games.

[Detroit Bad Boys]

Ben Wallace on the Inflatable Defender
    The Miami Herald's Israel Gutierrez caught up with Ben Wallace recently. What do you think he asked him about? The budding Pistons-Heat "rivalry?" What it's like for a 6-8 defender to guard Shaq? Wallace's chances to repeat as Defensive Player of the Year? Nope. Gutierrez asked about something all of us have been talking about lately — the Inflatable Defender.

[Motoring]

Strategic substitution locations
    That was … a loss to the Magic. But with the Spurs dropping a game to the Mavs and the fact that Davis and Maxiell both got crunch time minutes, I’m not too concerned. The Pistons are technically three games up on the Spurs because of the head to head wins with six games remaining.

[Need4Sheed]​

New Chauncey and Rip wallpaper
  13. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[Detroit News]

Wallace, Pistons energized in blowout
    "Every time I step on the floor, there is no question why I am out there," he said. "I play to win. I don't want to settle for being a good team. I want to reach greatness. None of this was ever given to me. I had to work for everything I've got and I am going to continue to work.

"I just want to help my team win and if I feel like I am not getting the opportunity to do that, I feel like I am cheating the team."

Rob Parker: Ben Wallace vents and Pistons listen,and both move on
    If anything, what it showed is that this team is human. Things have run so smoothly around here that you almost think the players are robots.
    In reality, everybody can't always be with the program all the time.

Disharmony isn't a bad thing, especially if a player can put his teammates on notice and use it as motivation.

Pistons Notebook: Pacers' season is fading fast
    Stephen Jackson, who led the Pacers with 15 points, would only say, don't blame him.

"I haven't got any answers," he said. "I am out there busting my butt. My guy (Richard Hamilton) was 5-for-12. Everybody on this team needs to be accountable for their actions -- players and coaches." [Classy - especially when his guy was coming back from a funeral.]

[Indianapolis Star]

Pacers four games under .500 after loss to Pistons
    Several players said they can't remember being on a team that's as low as the Pacers are right now.

"In this world there's talkers and there's doers," O'Neal said. "We're just talking. That's all we are, a talking team. I don't understand it for the life of me."

Pacers wish they faced Pistons' lone problem
    Wouldn't it be nice if the only thing the Indiana Pacers had to worry about was staying focused while preparing for the playoffs?

That's one of the few concerns Detroit Pistons coach Flip Saunders has with his team during its remaining games. The Pistons have already wrapped up the Central Division title and home-court advantage throughout the Eastern Conference playoffs.

[MLive.com]

Full-Court Press: Rip talks about his mask; Ben Wallace may want out of Detroit; Ben Wallace doesn't regret protest
    Richard Hamilton had a segment on the ABC pregame where he talks about his trademark mask. In the short vignette Hamilton, along with Lindsey Hunter and Dominik Hasek, impersonate movie characters and famous athletes ranging from Darth Vader, to Napoleon Dynamite, to Randy Moss. It really is a must see. Thanks to Natalie over at Need 4 Sheed for posting this. [Meanwhile, don't worry about the second article quoted. Chicago sportswriter Sam Smith makes a regular practice of inventing superstars who "may" be available for the Bulls. In Sam's world, why wouldn't everybody be clamoring for the Second City? Pure BS, but it will get lots of play. Count on it.]
  14. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[Detroit Free Press]

Pistons dismantle Pacers
    The first half followed the usual script when these two defensive juggernauts and division rivals meet. The Pacers led, 20-19, after 12 minutes.

But from then on, the Pistons outscored the Pacers, 79-53. The Pacers, who have lost seven of eight and are clinging to the seventh seed in the Eastern Conference, looked ready to jump in its bus and drive right out of the playoffs for good.

Big Ben doesn't regret tantrum
    The two talked after the Magic game, and Saunders said there's a multitude of things that likely built up frustrations in Wallace. But the biggest source of Wallace's angst is his usual complaint: he deeply believes that if he is not an active part of the offense, the team's chances of winning plummet.

[Booth Newspapers]

Ben Wallace leads the way in Pistons' rout of Pacers
    Wallace, coming off a two-point, five-rebound effort against the Magic on Friday, hasn't been happy with what he's seen recently. While the Pistons have been praised for their success this season, Wallace has sensed that the team wasn't playing championship-caliber basketball.

"I play to win. I don't want to settle for being a good team," said Wallace, who had 22 rebounds Sunday. "I want to reach greatness."

Inside the Pistons
    Who's hot: Tony Delk reached double figures scoring in each of the last four games, averaging 14 points per game while shooting 59.5 percent from the field.

Who's not: Maurice Evans has missed eight of his last 12 shots from the field.

[Detroit Bad Boys]

Rivalry no more: Pistons win a laugher over plummeting Pacers
    Rather than a simple "scoring punch", which the Piston bench has readily provided in recent weeks, Tony Delk, Lindsey Hunter, and Antonio McDyess practically knocked the Pacers out themselves. Each saw the floor for 20+ and finished in double figures in points. And prepare yourself, because I'm going to utter a few words that rarely are used in combination (especially by me): Lindsey Hunter shot the lights out today. There, I said it.

[Need4Sheed.com]

The Mask - Starring Rip Hamilton
    This has got to be one of the best clips that any network has run on The Detroit Pistons. During the pregame show of the Pistons - Pacers telecast ABC ran a story on Rip and his mask. If you haven't seen it you're in for a treat, if you have I know your going to watch it again. This one is a Detroit Basketball classic.
  15. roscoe36

[Hoopsworld]

Motown Soundtrack: Motor City is burning
    by Adriano Albuquerque

In a week that saw the Pistons’ streak of consecutive games with the same starters end, the press dug deep to find the flaws in Detroit’s preparations towards the playoffs. The truth from what was seen throughout the week is that the Motor City has nothing to worry about: it’s all fine, and getting revved up.

Ben Wallace’s much-publicized refusal to re-enter the game against Orlando last Friday was not by any means something to worry too much about. While the press made a huge fuss about it, wondering where the center’s heart is, Body came out on Sunday and showed just what he’s about, having one of his best nights of the season.

Running with the Bulls: The Motor City Model
    by Joel "Brigs" Brigham

Only one other team in history has been able to do what the Chicago Bulls have done this year: make a playoff push and hope for a high lottery pick at the same time. The other team to be blessed with such a privilege was the 2003 Detroit Pistons, who made a significant run in the postseason that year and ended up with the #2 overall selection in that summer’s draft.

The Bulls are looking significantly less lucky of late.
  16. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[Detroit News]

Three reasons Pistons can win, or lose, the NBA title
    "Winning a championship is the only thing that matters to all of us. All the other stuff is just things that have happened along the way to get us there." ?

Indeed, the goal is singular, but there are multiple reasons why -- or why not -- the Pistons will have success in the postseason.

Wallace's intentions were right
    The general consensus was said probably said best by Chauncey Billups: "We're all grown men in here. Nobody is worried about any of that."

They understand Wallace's frustrations, and they understand the point he was trying to make. They understand Wallace's pride, determination and will. The things that make him a great player also make him a bit stubborn.

Playoff roster takes shape
    Saunders has said he would prefer to use an eight-man rotation in the playoffs. Thus, at this point, the three primary reserves would be Antonio McDyess, Delk and Hunter.

That's not to say Evans and Delfino won't play. Certainly there will be situations -- foul trouble, match-up issues, etc. -- where they will be pressed into duty. The same is true for Dale Davis, who is expected to play a significant role should the Pistons face Cleveland, Miami or San Antonio.

Stick a fork in the Pacers
    Fake leaders and fake tough guys. Not-ready-to-win players. That's what I see with the Pacers.

They have quit on Rick Carlisle. That seems obvious given their performances the last two weeks, especially their awful showing at The Palace on Sunday.

Alley oop to ... Greg Kelser
    It was my rookie year with the Pistons (1979), and we were playing the 76ers in Philly. I was able to turn out of the post, elevate over the top of Dr. J (Julius Erving) and Caldwell Jones, and put one down over both of them at the same time.

Joanne C. Gerstner's Top 5
    It's a sign of consistency and proficiency, and yes, a little flashiness. Winning an NBA scoring title means a player has been a scoring force all season. The top five ...

Slam dunks
    ... Michael Sweetney of the Bulls finally took a charge. He had not taken one in high school, college or pro until a week ago, when he stood his ground against Wally Szczerbiak. His teammates reacted as if he'd hit a shot to win a game.

"Yeah, I saw how excited they got," Sweetney said. "They don't have to do all that standing up, making a scene. But it's cool. We have fun."

[Detroit Free Press]

Output of Delk, Hunter scores praise
    Saunders said he's pleased to see Delk's offensive aggressiveness, something that perhaps was missing before the team signed him in February after the Hawks waived him. And he likes the way Delk and Hunter switch roles from one play to the next.

"If one of those guys is being pressured more by a point guard, the other guy can bring the ball up and get you into an offense," Saunders said. "And they're both pretty good defensively. We pick up our defense, we get active, we force some turnovers."

[Booth Newspapers]

Hamilton not concerned with individual honors
    He's averaging 20.3 points per game and shooting 49.2 percent from the field -- both career highs. If he finishes as Detroit's leading scorer, he will become only the sixth player in franchise history to lead the team in scoring four consecutive seasons.

"Scoring, that's what I do," Hamilton said. "But as I've gotten older, my game has expanded. I can do more things than just score now, to help my team win."

Blog: Folks divided on Ben
    For those who don't like what Ben did, you have every reason to feel that way. But you have to remember one thing. His sights aren't on pleasing fans, the media or his coaches for that matter.

Full-Court Press: Pistons, Wallace move on; Artest admires the Pistons
    Further assuring fans that it is a non-issue, Rob Parker has a column out today insisting that Ben Wallace refusing to come back in Friday's game has already blown over. Parker actually puts a positive spin on the whole situation.
  17. roscoe36

18. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[PR Newswire]
    Can Detroit teams become first ever to win the Stanley Cup and NBA Championship in same season?
    With the Detroit Red Wings (NHL) and Detroit Pistons (NBA) both sitting atop their respective league standings, Sportsbook.com odds makers have posted 7-1 odds on the Motor City becoming the first to lay claim to the rare double. Other cities in the mix, according to the odds makers at the world's largest online sportsbook and casino, are Dallas and New Jersey.
  19. roscoe36

[Detroit Bad Boys]

It was bound to happen sooner or later?

From the Onion via tedwick, DBB reader and frequent commenter:
    "NBA Names New Foul After Rasheed Wallace"

What if the players voted for MVP?

Percy Allen of the Seattle Times has a great idea for settling the MVP debate: locking the candidates in a room and having them vote on it:
    Chauncey Billups: Hold up. This should really be a no-brainer. I'm doing the same thing Nash did last year and he got the trophy.
    Wade: Yeah, and we all [...]

Detroit Bad Boys talks with David Wieme

I had very few specific goals when I launched this site last October. At first, I spent most of my time scouring the internet to find the latest info on the Pistons, attempting to serve as a clearinghouse of information on the team for whatever readers came my way. I liked to inject a bit [...]
  20. roscoe36

[Need4Sheed]

Rasheed Wallace On Quite Frankly With Stephen A. Smith

As most of you know already I was lucky enough to attend the taping of Quite Frankly with Stephen A. Smith featuring Rasheed Wallace. My experience was something I will always remember and watching the episode makes me feel the exact same way that I felt when I was sitting in the studio audience.

**VIDEO INCLUDED**
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.