Another Draft Day Mistake by Joe D?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Nov 19, 2005.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Let me start by saying that I think Joe D. is the best President of Basketball Operations (PBO) in all of pro basketball.

But we all know that except for "The Prince" Joe D's draft record has not been on the same level as his other accomplishments as Piston PBO.

I think that Maxiell will be an excellent player, but this guy David Lee who Zeke drafted 30th in the first round 4 behind Maxiell is an absolute monster on the boards.

In the 6 games that he has played he is averaging 14.7 minutes and 7.2 boards. These are Rodman type numbers.

Of course J. Max isn't getting the minutes and the Knicks don't exactly have a sterling front line, but still Lee's numbers to date of 1 rebound every two minutes is as good as it gets under any circumstances.

Serious responses only. I know that it may not be PC to attack Joe D. but you guys and gals got to admit his draft record has been less than sterling.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3956

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Dumars
  2. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Joe D.s efforts in draft have been medicore- he gets better the later he picks.
    But you can't blame him for not drafting someone that late- no GM knows about the hidden players.
    For this, there's no blame on Joe D- you never know all of the sleepers and maybe a JMax is a sleeper himself.
  3. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I Wouldn't Call Lee A Sleeper

"The MVP of the Chicago predraft camp also tested as the most athletic power forward."

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft/d05/tracker/player?playerId=18729&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba%2fdraft%2fd05%2ftracker%2fplayer%3fplayerId%3d18729
  4. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

So what? Ich read this reputation stuff (MVP of the MC Donalds' Challenge; MVP of the Sprite Rookie Competition; MVP of the Wal Mart Games; Best defensive player wearing white socks, having dark hair und a name with an ,h' in it blabla) about almost every player when drafting day comes.
  5. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I am impressed with Lee as well, but I question the amount of production he would see on Detroit's roster. It's too early to say that the Max pick was not a good one.
  6. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

this question is hard to answer. there will always be diamonds in the rough. hindsight is 20/20 but from what i've seen from maxiell he was a great pick. he plays tough and although he won't pass to save his life his shot looks pretty good and he's determined to shoot it when he gets into the game.

the pistons are a championship caliber team. really no rookie is going to get thier chance to shine on our team. i wouldn't say this is joe's fault. zeke had a good draft and joe will have a great championship run. don't count our young guys out just yet.
  7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I was impressed with Lee's performance in the Portsmouth tournament... he clearly had one of the most active bodies in the camp... his BBall IQ and shooting was solid.

That said it was Jmax that destroyed everyone on the very first day (including Lee)... it was so impressive that Joe D asked him to sit out the rest of the tournament with a gaurantee for the first round.
    Lee would not stand a chance against the lil Brahma in a head to head battle.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That Lee guy looks kinda gumpy, but he has surprising quick ups. He was throwing down dunks that I didn't expect when I was watching the Knicks. I wasn't aware that he was rebounding at a high rate too.

However, JMax would out muscle him I bet. We'll see how many boards Lee gets against the Pistons. Man is that game gonna be fun to watch.
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

There is no way I would take Lee over J-Max at this point. J-Max is the real deal. A shot blocker, a jump shooter, a power paint player and a rebounder.

Joe found another late first round diamond in the rough.

At this point, J-Max looks like he has a lot more upside than Delfino in my opinion of course.
  10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

BuddaH I would tend to agree with MoPri. With our front court why would we look for a glass cleaner? Zeke has so many needs he was bound to find a cookie. But yeah, what IS JD looking for?
  11. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Watching Marquis Daniels and Josh Howard kill us three times in a row might be a useful clue as to next year's draft needs.
  12. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

and that is?? we have an athletic slashing 2/3 his name is delfino he just needs some minutes on the floor. you'll be surprised what he can do out there. with the new rules changes it's very difficult to stop dribble penetration the pistons need to take advantage of the rules changes and we still haven't. we have nobody that drives to the hole except chauncey and delfino.
  13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

You are on a roll LF. I'm a big Josh Howard fan. They absolutely stole him in the second round.
  14. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Where will J-Max play?

His future with us would seem to be at SF. But he can't hang defensively yet. He's gotta become a lil bit more mobile. I'm satisfied with the pick (so far). I have complete confidence in Joe's drafting ability as long as the pick is no. 20 or later.

BTW, I hear this David Lee fella is gonna be a good one.