Andre Drummond thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by webz, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Some veggies have such poor taste, they refuse to enter my shopping cart.

I am the chef...........when it comes to salad...........although as a good egg........... I like to ham it up.
  2. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Don't forget the ability to windmill slam a medicine ball.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Between Austin Daye's ability to hit the scoreboard with a medicine ball and Drummond's potential to maybe pull off an alley oop windmill jam with one, we will be fully set if Stern decides to switch balls again this year to a medicine ball variety. Actually, Daye would still be useless under that scenario on second thought.

"Monroe went to Pistons executives in midseason last year and suggested that Drummond might complement him nicely in the front court."
    That is the interesting line from that article though, which I never heard before. Strange thing to do mid season last year when Drummond was considered a top 3 pick. Was Monroe planning on doing some stealth tanking to make it a possibility?
  4. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I think it's proof of Monroe's brilliance.

Either that or he also told Joe that Davis/Sullinger/Henson/AnyBigOtherThanMaxiell would compliment him well in the front court.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Even though I think that it is a bit silly for a 2nd year non all-star to feel snubbed by the lack of an Olympic tryout invite, I'm glad that Monroe is the type to have a chip on his shoulder about something. More evidence that he's trying very hard despite his outward appearance.
  6. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I have to believe that the context of Monroe's comment last season was something like:
    "An eighteen year-old kid with a questionable work ethic who should be playing his senior year of high school would be better than the current crop of big-men that I'm running up and down the floor with on any given night."

...from that, the quote turned into "I think Drummond would be a good fit,"
    Walter likes this.
  7. Nemo

" I hate to keep beating the same drum, but I need help inside"

Remember, JD is who he talked to............................
  8. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

If he was being overlooked for quality big men... I might agree with you, but the bums that were invited in no way should have been ahead of him. I though am happy he was at our summer league practice instead.... He wasn't talking about making the team, he was upset he didn't even make the select team which is a good indication of who makes the 2016 team.
  9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

People question his motor and attitude, I just think he REALLY needs to be coached. Classic example of a guy who just doesn't know HOW to play the game, somebody has to teach this kid how to put it all together because right now he doesn't have a clue.
    Slippy likes this.
  10. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

And this is going to take how long? About an organization that hires coaching so they can shout, "pants-on-fire."

Drummond has no motion worries about the soft jump shot, the key, the perimeter, the low post or any other necessary territorial phase of close or distant approaches. This fellow is throwing curve balls up there that would embarrass "Sad-Sack" Jones. We are talking about the uncontested 15 foot free throw. Someone mentioned another analogy equally apropos about Rick Berry. I would start there. Shack said it was not "manly" enough. Of course the latter never let his manhood embarrass himself trying to become an actor.

This first round pick will likely never see much playing time in the 4th quarter and certainly not under five minutes.
    coynejeremy and BallDon'tLie like this.
  11. max

max All-Star

Why is it that everyone who criticizes Drummond only talks about how bad his offense is. Did you see the kind of impact he has defensively in the SL? Did he not? I only saw 2 games and he looked pretty good there.

We just saw a guy (Ben Wallace) who based his entire career on defense but now the next guy has to shoot or he is a bust? Agreed it would be great if Drunmond could shoot but then would he have dropped to #9. He would have went #2 behind Davis.

He will play and it will be a welcome site to not see a layup drill for the other team night after night.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Perhaps a better mentor for Drummond would be someone that can score the basketball.
  13. Nemo

I always thought that Patrick Ewing would be a good mentor......
  14. House Dressing

House Dressing Bench Warmer

If all Andre Drummond does as a rookie is catch the ball and dunk the ball, I'll be happy. Thats it. Catch the ball. Dunk the ball.

We don't have a single big that does it. Monroe plays below the rim. Max is too short. Ben Wallace has bad hands. Jerebko is too European (European = white). CV is too turd.

With his size, Drummond can't help but flirt with 10ppg if he can simply catch the ball dunk the ball. One offensive rebound and put back. Two drive and dumps from Knight/Stuck. One interior pass from Monroe. That's already 8ppg. Then he'll only need to go 2 for 8 from the line, and BAM---10 points per game.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Drummond actually has a pretty soft shot near the basket. Those are really useful.

Drummond and Monroe are sort of similar in this respect. Neither one is going to have plays called for them to get them open baseline J's. We have to go old school and run an offense with them near the basket.

Monroe shot 33% from outside the paint last year (same as Ben Wallace). It means that it isn't the team's best option until the primary options have been exhausted. Based purely on watching Drummond's highlights and shooting mechanics, I think that he might end up shooting a similar percentage (hopefully higher if he doesn't stray out more than a few feet outside).

For comparison, Jerebko had a .422 eFG outside the paint. Maxiell .407. The BOT .461.
  16. #1PickToDETROIT

#1PickToDETROIT Second Round Draft Pick

I for one think Drummond's offensive game is underrated. I'm not oblivious to reality, & I realize he'll have his struggles, but I think he can definitely be a factor for us on the offensive side of the ball. UConn's system, and their ball hog guards, didn't really give Drummond too many chances to display his offensive game, & not saying Detroit will, but I don't think we should underestimate the guy. Free throw shooting however, I have nothing good to say haha.
  17. pass99

Or perhaps, in the last three minutes of the game go from 2 for 8 (for your everyman approach) to the ruthless street ball of those have the most left-overs-win...as in... 4 for 16.
    Nemo likes this.
  18. pass99

Are you losing sleep over this nightly BS.
  19. pass99

One question? Is Monroe a god yet?
  20. pass99

Well, one goes with the media flow. Once I lived as God and more is not needed.