Andre Drummond thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by webz, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

What?!?! Hold on minute here, you're blowing my mind.

2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Some people look at a Manu Ginobli and say he gets starter minutes. No he doesn't. He only plays 24 minutes per game (similar to Andre Drummond). There are five guys on the Spurs that average more minutes that Ginobli. The only way Drummond can get more minutes is if he starts.

3. Ernie the Slow Adult

That is my point. What you're saying is fairly obvious. Play your best players. I don't care if he starts but I care that he plays a lot. (Ginobli played more minutes off the bench in the mid/late 00's, no?)

If a Bynum or Chuckles or any other of the misfits clogging up the roster have a strong outing Frank goes out of his way to get them in the game. His first sub last game was Bynum and it was Chuckles in the 2nd half. They both checked in 3-4 minutes before Drummond.

4. BillLaimbeer

The point I was making is not as obvious as you may think. A couple of times when I have coached, I would bring a good player off the bench because they seemed to provide some energy / spark for the 2nd unit. But, I realized that I could get these players more minutes by starting them. You can make all sorts of great rotations on a spreadsheet, but when the game is rolling, all bets are off.

Ginobli hit 30 minutes per game a couple of years, but he was starting during those times.

5. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

EXACTLY.

6. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

For me it is not a question of whether Andre should start or if he is a better player than every one else (these are true). I think Andre starting from a pure talent and learning perspective is easy - he should. I think he was brought along slowly and correctly, but now that he has settled in his production demands an increased role. However, FT shooting is a major issue and could preclude him from crunch time minutes.

The BIGGER question is team success and when Andre starts I think the coach needs to also change the starting line-up as well. This complete overhaul of the team may be the hang up from preventing Andre from starting. For me, on one hand I applaud the coaching staff for putting Andre in a situation to best suit him and the team as the bench has been designed perfectly for his strengths. On the other hand I am disgusted that the coaching staff doesn't realize that he is if not the best player very close to it. As a result, the thinking should not be how is Andre ging to gel with the starters, but how are the STARTERS going to gel with Andre because he has powerfully pushed himself into that realm. 6 months ago thus was Monroe-Stuckey's team. Now it is Andres. Plain and simple. And every decision from here on should be answered with that in mind.

For me the rest of the season should be not about showcasing or tanking, but putting the BEST lineup in regardless of veterancy, contracts, trade bait, etc. This is the NBA. The time to win is ALWAYS NOW. We are what, 4 spots from the 8th seed. Time to stop the Maxiel and Prince show. Time to stop seeing if Stuckey is the answer.

It is time to roll out the best lineups and build a winner. I would much rather have Andre playing hard for the playoffs than tinkering for years to come. If this means putting Daye as starting SG or SF to create more shooters for Andre than do it. if Maxiel and Prince gets DNPs so be it.

alexa032 and coynejeremy like this.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's a weird situation because Andre would definitely make the starters a better unit as is. However, the bench unit could flounder without him.

I wonder how the 2nd unit would do with Kraktsov replacing Drummond. Obviously there would be drop off, but maybe less so than putting Maxiell in with those guys. It would keep a similar dynamic at least.

Bynum
    Singler/Stuckey
    Daye
    Villanueva
    Maxiell

just doesn't seem right. Maxiell blocks shots, but not like Dre and he doesn't pull down the defensive boards like he would need to on that squad. Kraktsov's highlight reel in Europe makes it look like shot blocking and rebounding were his biggest strengths.

But where would that leave Maxiell?

8. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

If Dre is a starter than Maxiel is out of the lineup completely. He just doesn't rebound enough to get minutes with the perimeter orientated 2nd unit. Plus too slow. Its time to let the guy go.

9. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Looks to me like you guys have got an agenda against Dre winning 6th Man of the Year.

round and roscoe36 like this.
  10. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

THANK YOU! I was pulling my hair out during the Kings game watching Moose pass up one wide open jumper after another.

11. Ernie the Slow Adult

It's too bad that Drummond had to be drafted by a team who already has the 4th best APG averaging Center in the league or he could play more.

coynejeremy likes this.
  12. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

I love Drummond, each game i'm more convinced that he will be, along with Monroe, the pieces of our future.

13. Ernie the Slow Adult

I agree SJ. With Drummond the Pistons are going to have the backup C position locked down for years to come.

kpaav and BallDon'tLie like this.
  14. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Drummond will be starting by the end of the year, you can bank on that

15. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

That leaves us with the mystery of why Larry avoided playing him together with Moose at all costs.

16. BillLaimbeer

17. BillLaimbeer

18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Funny, with very few dominant big men, the league getting smaller, and everybody wanting to play small ball..............This kid can be a BEAST!

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's amazing how inaccurate lobs can be to Drummond. The worse the pass, the more spectacular the dunk. Bynum is thriving on that outlet. We need the rest of our guards to figure out how to duplicate it.

20. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Knight is almost there. He's consistently flinging the ball within 18 feet of Drummond.