1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Andre Drummond thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by webz, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I bet the Raps fans still celebrate the pick of that SG over Dre.

2. Mossberg

Mossberg Bench Warmer 3x Fantasy Champion

What I don't understand is why you don't start Drum if not solely as a business decision. The Pistons fans are dying to see some excitement, and Drum's game brings just that with his above the rim playing. When you only have a couple thousand hundred fans in the stands, you better be trying to put the best or at least the most entertaining product on the floor. It's obvious the fans want to see this kid. Give the people what they want, and hell, they may actually pay money to see the team.

God forbid if you actually play the kid because he's our best option.:bs: I don't care what Frank's philosophy is on Drum. He is wrong. He is shooting himself in the foot by not playing a kid who can make him look like a good coach.

Don't get me started on him burying English on the end of the bench (or sending him to the Pissed-off Ants). We need defense, and yet Frank benches our best perimeter and interior defenders. #stooooopid

3. copper

copper Bench Warmer

How will they ever get better if they dont" earn their minutes"? And we all know that the best way to earn your minutes is to play behind players that are worse than you are and watch them make mistakes and repeatedly get worked over by the opposition. This is a valueable training tool. I just hope everyone can see that drum is ready and english is a better option than the players ahead of them already, so when Larry is finally forced to make the move and play/start them he cant talk about how they earned their minutes and he is a great coach for brining them along slowly. Hes a horrible coach for brining them along at a snails pace when they are ready to assume the positiopns they should already be in.

4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think it is a mistake to lump Drummond and Kenny English into the same pool. We weaken our argument for Drummond when we do that.

Drummond has it all. Forget about what he will or might be. He is one of the, if not the, best players the Pistons have now.

Sadly I'm afraid this is more a reflection on the Pistons organization then it is just Flip Frank the failing coach who should be fired immediately. (And at this point Frank would appear to be more in command if he paced the sidelines wearing a dunce cap.)

5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Next the Pistons are only going to sell Charlie G and Austin Daye jerseys from The Palace Pro Shop.

6. linwood

linwood All-Star

Now I can't get that image out of my head!
    :p welldone:

copper likes this.
  7. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You're reading my mind. When did English become our "best perimeter defender"? With English, it's all potential. With Drummond, it's actual results and a lot of potential.

BallDon'tLie likes this.
  8. copper

copper Bench Warmer

I never once said english was our best perimeter defender, what I said is that he is better on both ends than maggette and the team would be in a better position all around if he were to get maggettes minutes

9. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe Larry Frank finds Maggette more visually stimulating than English?

copper likes this.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Maggette provides the occasional kobe assist, that's about it.

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Dre living in the paint this year, to state the obvious.

Shooting details:
    Dunks: 31-34
    Point blank: 31-57 (layups, put backs, etc)
    Tip ins: 7-12
    Hooks: 0-3
    J's in the paint: 3-12
    J's out of paint: 2-8 (including a desperation 3 point make)

So 69 of his 74 makes have been 0-1' shots (shooting .670 on those)

Outside of 1', he is 5-23 (shooting .217 on those).

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

One last quick stat:

So far in his NBA career, Drummond is averaging less minutes per game than Chucky Atkins did in his 40 games with the 2004 Pistons.

kpaav likes this.
  13. coynejeremy

A steady hand on the tiller, fo sho.

14. Brap

Brap Starter

Here's the thing: What Frank is doing to bring Drummond along IS WORKING.

All the other "play him more" "start him right now" demands are just speculative ideas. In the meantime, consider:

* He spends a few hours before each game working on low post moves with Rogers, and watching tape of his opponent. If he were playing 30 to 35 minutes every game, he wouldn't be able to be on the practice court as much.

* His PER is outstanding and climbing.

* He is raw offensively. When you play him fewer minutes right now, he can return to the bench after a raw moment - get instant feedback coaching - gather himself, and come back effectively.

* Whatever you think about other ways to bring him along, it is the truth that his confidence is becoming stronger and stronger; exactly the pathway of progress you'd want to see him having.

* He plays when his habits and play on the court merit it, so we're instilling energy as a core component of this guy as a player. That's huge. He is rewarded when he does the right stuff, and pulled when he doesn't. He's staying hungry.

* There is an orderly transition taking place here. And his teammates love his attitude.

* We are not a team going anywhere this season, except for developing our 3 core players, and determining who the keepers are. Singler, Stuckey, and to be determined: English, JJ, Middleton, Slava, Maxiell, Daye, C.V.

* We have one more season to add significant players to our roster, who will be joining a team which has several rising stars. We might as well get a few more ping pong balls.

* This really is working for him - which was my first point above.

The Panda, Cardono, copper and 5 others like this.
  15. coynejeremy

But what about MY needs???? :)

Good post.

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The teammate angle is a good point. When Dre takes over the starting job, he should have the full support from his teammates because he made it obvious that he is the most effective player and didn't get it handed to him first.

For a 19 year old, knowing that the rest of the team is behind you because of your actual performance probably goes a long way toward building your confidence.

The next step is finding the trigger to turn him into the incredible hulk.

From a business standpoint, it probably would have benefited the organization to run this charade more quickly to get some more W's and to get more people to pay money to come see a new and exciting player. Getting 18,000 fans instead of 12,000 is probably a drop in the bucket though.

17. copper

copper Bench Warmer

great post and solid speculations, I say solid speculations because you are speculating that he would have a drop in confidence, and you are speculating that he wouldnt be getting all of the above from actual time in game experience, I cant argue the opposite since it is all speculation though. Like Ive said before Lawrence Frank is in a perfect position to spin his developement whichever way he wants though...He can continue slowly increasing Dres minutes and as dre keeps performing well he can say his slow approach is what helped Dre get to that point, or he can increase dres minutes and as soon as dre has a bad game he can say" see I told ya he wasnt ready for big minutes"
    We've all watched enough basketball to know there will be times the young fella struggles mightly, and that wont stop even when hes in his 12th year. I just get a kick out of people saying youngsters need to come along slowly. Then we all see rookies come in, play huge minutes and do well from the first game. ALL players develope at different rates, and all players will develope at their own rates regardless of coach involvement. Sometimes it takes kids a little longer to grasp the concepts. I for one have never waned in my idea that Dre is ready now for what we need which is defense and rebounding.

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  18. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Here are Drummond's monthly stats (skipping October since that was just one game):

Month/MPG/FG%/RPG/APG/SPG/BPG/PPG
    Nov/17.3/.557/6.2/0.4/0.8/1.2/6.3
    Dec/20.9/.630/7.1/0.6/0.8/1.8/7.3

The only stat that didn't improve was his steals and his FT (.400 for both months). So long as this trend continues, I won't complain (as much).

19. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

So he should be like 15/15/1/2/3 by the end of the year?

Walter and roscoe36 like this.
  20. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Frank is doing it backwards in my opinion. You play your best and most talented players to begin with who give you the best chance to win. If they start dogging it or not playing effectively then that's why you have hungry guys with less talent who always work hard ON THE BENCH waiting to go! Getting dragged back to bench is more of life lesson IMO. Everyone knows and recognises Drummond has more talent and is the future. Pretending he isn't is just counter-productive. If you want to make an example of someone not earning their minutes I'd be pointing fingers at Maggette, Prince, CV, et al...

BallDon'tLie and Mossberg like this.