Andre Drummond thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by webz, Jul 2, 2012.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

That's such a BS answer from Silver-Tongue.

Frank isn't going to play Drummond in case he has a bad night? This team has been horrible the last 3 seasons. They have nothing to lose. They can only go up!

Also, what adjustment for Kratsov? Is gravity different in this hemisphere?

This "eventually" stuff is nonsense. If it is eventual, why not now? It's not like Kareem Abdul Jabbar is on the roster in front of these cats.

Walter, coynejeremy, del and 5 others like this.
  2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This team is still in rebuilding mode. Can't grow as long as Prince and Max are starting, those guys need to be coming off the bench and let the newbies learn on the job. We all want to see some wins, but don't want the new guys growth stunted by the old guard. We have three lottery top 9 picks on the roster. Start Drummond with them and then take your pick among the SF in JJ, Magette or...... Tay, depending on how the chemistry works.

3. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I was just thinking how great the Pistons PR machine was. After reading about the work put in and the improvements made by each player, I was hyped up. I was really expecting something different. I feel like I'm reliving last season. 10 point first quarters. Mediocre players in the way of other mediocre players. Playoffs? The best I can hope for is a jekyll and Hyde scenario where this team is not as horrible to watch as it currently is. And I'm not just talking about the crappy outside shooting, the porous transition defense or lack of pt from our lone game changing lottery pick. Yeah drummond changes the game in a more tangible way than even Monroe. He might have an off night? Wtf! We stank against a minny team missing two stars. We had to rely on late game heroics to get past the bobcats. The starters are having off games. I can understand some of the rotations. It is the preseason it can be used to experiment but against **** teams you need to look good. When bad teams look good against us, we are that **** team.
    Anyone can say its still the preseason but I've Seen this show before with the same cast, pacing and plot.

del likes this.
  4. copper

copper Bench Warmer

I agree Slippy, we are seeing the same crap because the coach keeps putting the same crap on the floor. We have a few players that can actually play but if we dont put them in there? we will get the same result we have always gotten. Middleton and English can shoot from the outside, so can jj and Singler...so what does coach do? he plays isotay with BK and Stuck so if either of them do drive and kick Tay is there to dribble and back his man down for a hook or off balance shot. We get to see English and middleton with "Get my own" Bynum, whose only dish is an alleyoop. We need a coach that will give the players a chance to succeed. We ned Monroe to play high low post with Drummond so they can attack the offensive glass and Drummond can protect our paint. BK is getting penetration at will and if the defense collapses like it has been to guard against Drum and Monroe we need English or Middleton outside to have a legit shot at making the long ball to keep the defence honest. Its not rocket science folks. If Tay isnt gonna shoot the ball on the kick out? Why the **** is he in there?and if he cant hit the shot at a average clip? why is he in there? it certainly isnt for stellar defense or rebounding cause he has fallen off horribly in both of those categories. I am tired of seeing Maxiel in there taking all the shots because he is the only one willing to shoot it when he has the shot....theres a reason the opposing team is giving him the 10-15 footer...and it isnt because hes a good shooter. Until our coaches decide to actually do some real team and player management? we will continue to see the same crap.

del likes this.
  5. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

The way they talk about Drummond I might be forgiven for thinking they're talking about a 9 year old rather than a 19 year old. So he has a bad night, big deal, use it as a teaching moment. They're going overboard with this 'take it slow' crap. Every single lottery pick from 1-10 are starting for their respective teams. It's all just a smokescreen; they're clinging to mediocrity and another trip to the lottery playing all these crappy vets (that includes Maggette) ahead of the kids .

Nemo likes this.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I've never been a big fan of the foul trouble argument. I'd rather they play a guy with a positive impact on the game until he fouls out rather than effectively foul him out by sitting him on the bench. As least if he fouls out, you know that you got the maximum possible minutes out of him.

They are just protecting his self confidence and are making sure that it doesn't take a bruising. If he's an instant starter, a poor string of performances would draw more attention than if expectations are lowered by having him come off the bench.

I don't really care, he'll get a thorough shot at this throughout the season.

7. roscoe36

No doubt, I only learn from my mistakes. That's how I got so smart...

8. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Too paranoid and people want everything too fast. It is a typical fan mistake: player not playing are the best players. "I want to see X player, bla, bla".

But seriously - lawrence frank was not hired for lottery trips.

9. del

del Team Captain Forum Donor

This is what I don't understand - why are we the only team not to start our lottery picks. Was the same with BK and Monroe , but at least if he follows their stories, he will be starting by December.

10. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Rax is right, you can't play Drummond now. He has major lapses in his game unlike the rest of the team. This is appalling!!!

11. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Don't worry, maxiell can't play 48 min per game, there are 20-25 minutes per game available( AT LEAST), it is up to Drummond now...whether Drummond starts or not, is irrelevant.

12. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Him starting Jason Maxiell and finishing games with Charlie Villanueva points to the opposite.

alexa032 and Walter like this.
  13. copper

copper Bench Warmer

this is what makes me scared of our coaches strategies or lack there of.

14. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Two more lottery picks and we will have a starting five of all lottery picks.

BallDon'tLie likes this.
  15. Brap

Brap Starter

Obviously - really very very obviously - the Pistons are building a team which in the future will have 3 indispensible core players, Drummond, Monroe and Knight. We've also got a bunch of other young talent to sift through, to see how well they fit the building team concept (i.e., Stuckey, English, Singler, JJ, Middleton, Kravstov). Some of these other guys might be traded or just not make it --- but it is an intriguing group of young talent.

A few others, like Bynum, Tay, Daye, C.V., Middleton might be trade assets or just gone in a couple seasons.

And we've got a ton of cap space to use next summer, and perhaps another lottery pick which depending on how fast Drummond develops, perhaps we won't have. But I don't see us as a playoff team just now, as I cannot imagine Drummond being that consistent over the long season -- we'll see.

I love this group of talent and the flexibility in the cap Joe has built. I predict that in 2 more seasons, our 3 man core will be as good as any young 3 man core in the league. All three of those guys can be all-stars - and Drummond could be a superstar. There's a long way to go, but they have that potential.

Developing all this slowly and carefully is just fine with me. If that means Drummond is brought along slowly to install all the best habits in him - I'm fine with that. At the beginning of the summer, I'd have guessed that meant playing Drummond sporadically, a little more as the season went along. Now, it seems that Drummond might get 15-25 minutes per game most games, and I can see him easing up to 30 minutes per game towards the end of hte season. As long as he earns all that PT, that's an awesome development.

16. roscoe36

I think Drummond is going to be awesome. When I see this kid on the floor, I get goosebumps. I don't get excited much over individual players, but this guy has so much upside and already, a lot of presence all things considered.

I am not sure why fans are hedging their bets on Drummond. Am I being irrationally exuberant? Or are fans worried about getting too enthusiastic and restraining their enthusiasm as a defense mechanism against disappointment?

17. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

No hedging for me. I love this guy. He should be starting from Game #1. But, even if he doesn't start, you've got to put him out there on the floor for 25 minutes per night.

18. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I don't get excited easily over these things, but I love this kid also. He's already had 2 of his dunks highlighted on SLAM's website. Bill Simmons was gushing also which is no small feat for a Pistons player.

We often complained about the Detroit press being in the organizations pocket, but I really feel like they're going out of their way to try and temper the fans enthusiasm towards him.

19. max

max All-Star

I think he has been making so much progress and doing so much better in the pre-season than anyone expected that they don't quit know how to handle it. Its almost a feeling of not wanting to get too excited until we find out its real. Once the season starts and teams adjust to him then we will know.

I also think Darko is still on Dumars mind even though Drummond was a reasonable risk at #9. I am sure they have already talked about the pittfalls of "learning from the bench". Note they we never have heard the term "earning mins in practice" since those days. Rookies need real court time to get better and anything short of that is a bust in the making.

20. roscoe36

I drafted Andre Drummond in the PF.com Keeper League today. He's mine for at least two seasons, and needless to say, if he pans out, he'll be on my team for a long time.

LA Dre likes this.