And the new coach of the Pistons is...

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by theWORM, Jun 8, 2007.

1. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

Following on from: http://www.pistonsforum.com/detroit...s-being-very-quiet-havent-we-seen-before.html

It is indeed VERY suspect that Joe D has been quiet, Flip had to go to a dental appointment the day of the exit interviews, and JVG is not being touted as a candidate for any coaching jobs.

The question has been asked, if Joe has decided to fire Flip, then who out there is a worth the cost of the upgrade (paying Flips existing contract, plus the new guys). There is no pound-for-pound waiting in the wings as there was when Carlisle was shown the door.

However, JVG is considered one of the great coaching minds of the current generation. Taking that 8th seed Knicks team to the 99 finals was a cinderella-like story. (Anyone recall JVG switching Ewing onto Tim Hardaway in the dying seconds of a close game, where Ewing came up with the block at the 3pt line to seal the win? JVG has guts and brains). (and I can't imagine Rasheed happily playing for any other guy out there except for JVG).

Sure, his Rockets teams stunk it up in the playoffs (T-mac, anyone?), and his coaching on the offensive end has been anything but creative, but my money is on JVG working his OLD magic with a much better roster. JVG got more out of Alan Houston and the Knicks than anyone expected, and I believe he will do the same for Rip and the Pistons (with Rip quite rightly being the focal point on offense).

No Rashweed trade + CB re-signing + a good pick in the draft + FA signing via the MLE + a small trade + JVG = Eastern Conference champions.
  2. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

I have a feeling this squad might have topped out. If so we will require a major adjustment to rekindle the hunger, elevate our athleticism, raise our skill level, and regenerate the necessary mental (& emotional) toughness to compete against a more difficult division in 2007-08.

To only make minor changes will likely result in a worse record and earlier playoff exit.
  3. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

That was my exact same feeling until I realised the possibility exists that JVG may be our next coach. Sure, its only a maybe, but with JVG on board, retooling the roster with some new blood via the two draft picks (with the higher pick potentially being someone who can make an immediate impact off the bench), a key FA acquisition, and a minor trade could see a much better team on the floor next season.

I am betting a new voice with a new system could yield huge results. Did anyone think Don Nelson would do much with that Warriors team?

I would like Joe to blow it up, change the bulk of the team, and have a fresh and exciting new product, but the reality is any wholesale changes are likely to result in a poorer record. We are at the cap, and any major trade is unlikely to be a home run, at least in the short term.

Sheed is still one of the top front court players in the league, Rip is arguably the best mid range shooter and player moving without the ball, CB and Tay are in the top 10 at their respective positions, etc.

I believe that with our current young studs and rookies, and the draft picks we have (maybe we can swing a deal for one or two more?), Joe will take the sensible approach of retooling on the fly and keep us as competitive for as long as possible, and without capping us out for years to come (ala NY). I suspect CB will be schooling his eventual replacement out of this years draft.
  4. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Jeff van gundy would not work with the pistons, trust me....he is a know it all and he is very stubborn and doesn't bend at all. but the pistons need a change in their core, i don't know who, but they need a change in their core....i think there are more lockerroom problems than we know; it took ben to leave to hear all the negative stuff that was going on with him; hopefully joe will do the right thing
  5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Better than someone who knows nothing and will back off. This team needs someone like this, so that they stay on track.

JVG made Houston a top defensive team. The only good defensive player he really had was Battier. (Motumbo rarely played when Yao was healthy).

Sheed is better on defense than Yao. Chauncey is better than Alston or Luther Head. Rip is better than T-Mac. Tay is just as good as a defender as Battier as well.

I want to see some defense. Bring him or Lambier in.
  6. Fuster

Fuster Second Round Draft Pick

The coach is always the one who gets the fan's ire when things don't work out the way they hoped at the end of the season. If you got player deficits like Detroit has, bringing in a different coach doesn't solve any problems. Perceived coaching problems often disappear when the team wins more playoff games. I don't like Van Gundy myself, but if y'all want a new coach then use someone within the Pistons organization.
  7. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'd also say that the hunger of this squad seems to be non- existent. Anyone remember CB after last year's dropout, when he said that he didn't take the exit too hard because of the long season?
    It didn't seem like this effortless attitude has changed.
    The coach is a big problem, but not the main problem with this team.