An outsider's look at the 2005/2006 Piston season

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Aug 7, 2007.

1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I know this is a bit old, but still very interested. I am translating this from the Russian website and this offers a very unbiased review of the Pistons' first season under Flip Saunders. This article has quite a few good points. Please mind that it is a translation, so I am not looking for the style points. You will be the judge of how close to the truth this is.

2. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Very interesting. I just finished reading Paul Shirley's new book Can I Keep My Jersey: 11 Teams, 5 Countries and 4 Years in My Life as a Basketball Vagabond. He describes his two months playing in Kazan, Russia (UNICS Kazan) as the most miserable two months of his life. One of his many complaints is the lack of warmth of both the climate and the people:

I digress....the author of the article you translated seems very accurate and to the point.

3. mikhail1973

He's just not used to the local culture. For the most part, once people get to know you, they are extremely friendly. As far as look on their faces, well, that's just what they look like. I noticed that going back to visit.
    What was interesting, is that the article was right on the point.

4. basketbills

Yeah...very much on point. And Paul Shirley complains about everything. He made $60,000 to play two months in Kazan. I would take that.

5. mikhail1973

Have you ever been to Kazan? I don't know if I'd want to spend much time there myself, much less if I was a foreigner.

6. detteam

detteam All-Star

Thanks for the translation mikhail. IMO the writer hit just about everything on target. The only thing I feel missing in the remarks was that Flip cut Ben out of the offense almost completely...and pretty much forced Ben out of town. I don't blame Ben in the slightest.

LB was good for Ben...they respected each other. Not so with Flip.

7. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

He seems to blame the players for a psychological letdown. No real blame of the coach..........Good article.........

8. basketbills

Dang Nemo...this isn't exactly high praise he is heaping on the Flipster:

But it is very true.

9. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I saw this...........I just wondered how many SECONDS it would take for somebody to point it out.

10. detteam

detteam All-Star

Why would a group of championship players have a psychological letdown...unless they had lost faith with the new coaching regime and felt the team had taken a few steps backward?

Too bad Flip has never really connected with the players...he only seems to alienate them. First Ben and I think Sheed & Rip are very close behind. IMO even Chauncey now seems uninterested in playing for him. And Tay is busy taking notes from all of them.

Flip never fit with this group and never will. The 64 wins was the players playing together as they had been taught from an inspired coach. That post season was the players not having clear coaching leadership to help motivate and direct them to the goal. Ever since those 64 wins, this team has gone downhill.

Flip will never win in the NBA. The longer he's here...the worse it gets for the organization.

11. DeetroitDynasty-e

DeetroitDynasty-e First Round Draft Pick

The Pistons were a team of knock-offs, people who were cast away from different clubs with no support. When they came together, Joe had faith in them, Rick (Carlisle) had faith in them, and they created a unit that was worth much more than the sum of its parts. I think that unit was forged with the fire of doubters and non-believers, Sheed fit right in. As soon as the tides turned, and the Pistons got respect, they were unfamiliar, and became somewhat complacent, the chip on their shoulder was reduced, their hunger diminished.

It seems as though the Pistons have needed to be the underdog to truly perform well, when we were up against the Bulls, before game 1, everybody was predicting 7 games, the Bulls have a chance, blah blah blah. What happened?... We whooped their asses two games in a row. Just clean straight up ass whooping. Detroit was making a statement. Then Cleveland comes and everybody is talking about the road Clev had to take to get to the conference finals, a depleted Washington, then a frontcourt weak Nets. They were giving Detroit an edge... the edge they give, takes the edge we have. Thats what makes this past season so frustrating, if we had beaten Clev, we would have been termed the underdog, and our team would have played at its best... unfortunately our team is a sleeping giant that is getting less and less likely to wake up when it matters.

I agree with that article, sure i think other factors where involved, Okur leaving, Flip coaching, but i think the key is mental, maybe all this talk of where the team belongs in history will motivate them, but so far it hasnt done it enough...

I say play the youth, get a 4 seed or lower, let the hyenas start nipping, thats the way we like it, remember that ol moniker... "if it ain't rough, it ain't right"