Amir Johnson

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Hotsauce, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Hotsauce

Hotsauce First Round Draft Pick

I think that this kid has a lot of potential as a high flying PF.
    I think that he will start out in the D-league for maybe a year i dunno.
    I just think that he is a beast on the boards and if he can develop a shot in the d-league, he will be a formidable bench weapon for future years.

I hope that I'm not the only one really excited about this kid.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Don't get lee started. He'll be in here with a 400 word essay on Amir Johnson anytime now!

3. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Hotsauce

Wave beat me to it. I was about to say that someone will be along shortly to tell you that Amir Johnson has pogo sticks for legs and that he can flat jump outta the gym. All this "analysis" from a couple summer league games. :blah: I figure if he was drafted outta high school, someone thinks he must be pretty special. I posted on the other forum that he needs to take up at the Kato Kaelin wing of the Ben Wallace household and start lifting weights. But that's pretty obvious from looking at him.

4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Why is this thread here?

We already have a youth movement thread. We have a bench thread. Either thread would be appropriate. Then, you have the option of putting these posts in the green room, where the rules are relaxed.

While on the subject of condensing. I suggest we take down the Darko room and just let people use the youth movement thread for that.

5. Hotsauce

Hotsauce First Round Draft Pick

Yeah thats what I figured the D-league and an offseason would do to him. I think that the most important thing he needs to work on is his shot because it is ugly:eek: .

[​IMG]

6. roscoe36

lee,

Please leave moderating to the staff and criticism of the forum layout to site suggestions and feedback.

You can read up on thread reporting in the Getting Started forum if you feel there is something amiss here, and a moderator will take a look at it when they have time.

7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

hi

Microwave, you still don't recognize a joke when you see one. I came to this thread to post about Amir, but I saw a couple of people already poking fun so I joined in.

8. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Aj

I agree that AJ looks to have a great upside. A year in the NBDL and some time time in the weight room will do wonders for both him and the Pistons.

Having him on this year's roster might be a bit much. I can't see him getting much playing time. I'd much rather have that spot go to an extra vet. The Piston's are starting to look a bit too young (inexperienced) off the bench.

9. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

I'm too lazy to look it up but have they decided or worked out any kind of structure for a NBDL?I think this would be great for Amir as well would have worked out for Darko rusting on the bench last year.

10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

hi

No, there is no news on the NBDL. No idea when that will happen. And no idea for sure at this time if the exact number of active roster players is decided. That number was suppose to go to 14, but that was based on allowing a team to have 2 of them in the NBDL. Going into the start of this season, maybe we only get to carry 12 guys active, with the rest inactive until the NBDL is ready for them.

Last I heard, a whole lot of little details need to be worked out on just how the whole thing will work. The eventual goal is to have 15 NBDL teams, 1 for every 2 teams in the NBA. But there are only 8 active teams at the moment, with 4 new ones slated to start up next season.

Such issues as hotel accomodations, travel plans, who controls the coach who gives out minutes to players, etc. still need to worked out.

Everyone of these issues is a potential union-management issue. To get that contract signed, a lot of this discussion was tabled. Someone mentioned that there is a current gag order on any news about the discussions.

11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I just recently heard that each team will be allowed to send one of their assistant coaches to their players NBDL team.
    This does not mean that they would actively coach the team ... but they can work with their players development... assist them with the home teams philosophies etc.... could be Ron Harper is this guy.

12. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Because I hit the "5 minute" rule I'll have to re-do this edit. :frusty:

I agree that Amir Johnson is the likely candidate to be sent down.
    Not from a talent perspective but to recieve training of the finer points of being a NBA SF/PF (on the job training)
    If he is to become a SF he'll have to extend his range... or we have a potential clogging problem in the paint.
    He can also use this opportunity to add strength and receive extended PT.

I would not be surprised if Acker was on the active roster but given almost no PT.
    With him having only a one year contract they may want to keep him "on the low".

13. Zoso

Zoso First Round Draft Pick

Amir Johnson's Contract

If it's true that Dumars only inked Johnson to a two-year deal (per; AS Blakely), I seriously hope that doesn't turn out to be a Memo type mistake. It's very likely that AJ isn't going to see that much floor time the next few years, outside of garbage time, so he probably won't be on that many GM's radars anyway.

But even so, you would think that Joe learned from his mistake with Okur, especially if he's that high on Johnson, as he claims.

Did he not want to risk adding that extra year to his contract? Couldn't he have at least included a third-year team option?

Whatever the case, it is quite interesting, not to mention risky. :nod:

14. roscoe36

Article

15. Zoso

Micro

Thanks for the info, Micro.

That's great news. I'm really glad they fixed that in the new CBA. I guess it took the Warriors and Pistons losses to open people's eyes to the obvious mistake of leaving teams hanging out to dry with their second round picks.

16. roscoe36

You make a good point though.

We will be in an interesting cap situation in 2 years.

CB will be a FA (Bird rights?)

Darko will be an RFA either earning his qualifying offer (110% of 4th year salary), or a greater amount based upon the offer sheets his agent works up (assuming of course that Joe matches).

Dice, Arroyo, Rip, Sheed will still be on the books. Sheed and Rip receiving their progressively higher wages.

We will have had to deal with Ben and Tayshaun's wages by then.

It could be messy. iamme, Merc and LanierFan are all regs at RealGM so they may have more insight into re-signing Amir Johnson two years down the line.

I could have some inaccuracies in the timeline. Too tired to go hunt it all up right now. Sorry if I erred. Feel free to correct me.

17. Zoso

M..

When that time comes, Joe D. will be in an unenviable position, that's for sure. He may just be stuck in a pick and choose scenario, where we may have to lose someone in order to keep another.

Heck, maybe Bill D. will let loose of the purse strings, and let us venture into luxury tax territory in order to keep our squad together. Something tells me that Hades has a better chance of freezing over, then that happening though. :P

18. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Dumars definately has a lot to think about as far as the future of this team goes, though we do have Chauncey for 3 more year, not 2. But, we have major Free agents coming up every year for a few years.

2006 - Ben Wallace, Tayshaun Prince (extension), Lindsey Hunter (retire most likely)
    2007 - Darko Milicic (this one could vary a ton), Dale Davis (retire?), Amir Johnson, Alex Acker
    2008 - Chauncey Billups, Antonio McDyess (Team option), Carlos Arroyo, Maurice Evans, Carlos Delfino
    2009 - Rasheed Wallace
    2010 - Rip Hamilton
    2011 - Tayshaun Prince (after extension)

I can see us being in HUGE money issues in a few years. Dumars will have his 2nd major test of his GM career.

19. roscoe36

Thanks FP22. I forgot you are a RealGM guy as well.:doh:

You forgot someone.

2009 - J-Max

And I thought Year 4 of McDyess' deal was a Player Option, but I could be wrong.