Amir Johnson - Sioux Falls Skyforce Tracker

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jan 10, 2007.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Perhaps an Eastern competitor will make Amir a large offer just to force the Pistons to overspend to match (ala Jon Koncak back in the 80's).
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

From a DetNews article today, apparently GMs have already called Joe to assess Amir's availability.

Saunders rides with the Colts

We've been thinking all along we might have to hide this kid, but on review, we can offer him a deal up to the average player salary without using our Mid-Level Exception to defend him. The Mid-Level is essentially a contract starting at the average salary.

I'm thinking Joe *may* keep the Mid-Level to defend Acker AND Johnson. In Acker's case, he may solicit higher offers on the open market, and our ability to match is poor because he only played 1 year for us (Non-Bird) as opposed to Amir's two years (Early Bird).

NBA Salary Cap FAQ
  3. Griffin

Griffin First Round Draft Pick

News excerpt:

This is exactly the type of thing you want to hear if you're betting on this kid's success in the league. This is probably very good news. But doesn't this also mean Detroit needs to find minutes for him starting next season?

Either way, nice to have a decent chip sitting at the end of your bench. I'll say it again: this is good news.
  4. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I agree, which means any center we get will have to be via trade or draft (unless they feel that Cwebb is the answer).
    The draft doesn't look good for bigs when we'll be picking.
    We could have an old center next year without a deal.....
    and no, Amir is not a center.
  5. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Could he get some work in the Euros? Simular to Acker. I hate seeing so much potential sit.
  6. roscoe36

No, he can't go to Europe while under contract in the NBA.
  7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

We couldn't work a one year deal. You know a deal, deal?
  8. roscoe36

Just to get him some PT? Totally not worth it.

Once the stiffs get cleared from the Pistons bench, Amir will get at least some NBA garbage time.
  9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Only Nazzs hands are stiff.
  10. tpaPistonFan

tpaPistonFan First Round Draft Pick

I said it last year and I will say it again this year. If you want to see who Amir will end up being like, look no further than number 24 on the Chicago Bulls (Tyrus Thomas). Which is a VERY GOOD THING!!!
    TT -> 6'9 215lbs born in 1986
    AJ -> 6'9 210lbs born in 1987
    Both their games are built around their physical abilities and both have a ways to go to develop their body and back to the basket game.

I have a feeling that AJ will make us forget that we lost Okur (another great 2nd round pick).
  11. max

max All-Star

I know he is going to be good but I just do not know if we will be able to hang onto him.

You can match on 2nd round pick contract offers which is cool, but you still can't go over the cap I believe?

Even so, can you guys really see Flip or whoever will be coaching give this kid any mins next season? If Amir was on most other teams he would be playing and he has to know that.
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

No restrictions except one, you must have your midlevel exception to spend. In other words, hey, like you got to pick who you keep. Lets say both Acker and Amir blew up and lots of teams wanted them. Not possible at this point, but just for instance. We could only match one offer, by using the five million or so from the midlevel money and adding to that as needed to match an offer sheet. (This is only concerning 2nd round picks, who you can only sign for two years-Maxiell is a first round pick and under contract for 3 years to begin with-giving us Bird rights-so we can match any offer for him, regardless of cap, as per normal. Indeed, we can sign him for whatever, going over the cap all we want, with those Bird rights.)
  13. roscoe36

Joe can do a lot to keep Amir. The timing of his contract renewal is ideal. He hasn't played enough to be worth a lot, and if Joe tenders him a reasonable deal (I bet it has a player option at the end), I imagine AJ will probably take the guaranteed money, with the option to be a big time FA at the age of 25 or 26.

Playing time however is a big problem. Let's hope some of our bigs move on after this season.
  14. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

We got some lucky breaks (getting Okur in the second round, the Grizzlies pick moving up to #2) that slipped through our fingers in recent years. We don't know what kind of player Amir will turn out to be, but so far he's looking like he might be another second-round steal.

Second round guys hardly ever stay in the league for long, and teams throw these picks around like candy. Most teams will probably never draft a good player in the second round. Let's hope Joe's done enough planning so we don't see Amir scamper off and become an All-Star for someone else.
  15. max

max All-Star

Don't be surprised. Lot of desperate GM's out there. Figure a top 5 picks salary is almost the mid-level. If someone out there is willing to chip in an extra mil to out-bid us?

It would help if Amir got at least some prime time play so he could feel part of the team and think that he has a future here.
  16. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

Good stuff from Keith Langlois at Pistons.com.

17. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I think that would be the best thing. A LOT of teams passed him up. The pistons picked him and groomed him but they should also show that they won't just shelve him too
  18. DetroitBasketball

DetroitBasketball First Round Draft Pick

Doesnt he deserve some playing time?
  19. max

max All-Star

Its hard to grow loyalty when you never play. I hope thats not the case, we will see. Not much we can do about it.

DetB - Yes I think he has earned some PT. Done everything the coaches have asked of him without question.
  20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Let's hope he doesn't go Darko on us.
    Let's hope the Pistons don't try to Darko him.