1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Red Wings All's Quiet On The Western Front

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Superstarov, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Ken Holland, the Red Wings GM, has been famous throughout the NHL for his acquisitions at the trade deadline. Making the rich, richer.

The Red Wings are perennially in the Elite of the NHL, and Holland, always seems to make his team better, right at the deadline, for a stronger push into the playoffs.

Memorable pick-ups of the past are: Chris Chelios, Robert Lang, Ken (Red Light) Wreggett, and Igor Larionov... just to name a few... which really is just a few of the great pick-ups Holland has made in the past. The guy really is a wizard.

But in the "New NHL"... the Wings were forced to cut their payroll in half... and have been living life within $500,000 of the salary cap all season.

Even though no one expected the Wings to be able to do much, many Red Wings fans held their breath in anticipation of what the Wizard may be able to pull off.

Turns out, it was pretty much nothing, although he really didn't have much to work with.

With the loss of Jiri Fischer, Defense was a small question mark... and Goal-tending is a big question mark...

Manny Legace is having a very stellar season, compared to previous years, but has traditionally not been strong in the playoffs. And Chris Osgood is a proven Stanley Cup winner, but Coach Mike Babcock seems to have little faith in him.

So most Wings fans were hoping for something along the lines of a Goal-tending change at the deadline.

Here's what Holland did:

He traded little used Defenseman Jamie Rivers to Phoenix for a 7th round pick in the 2006 draft.

And they traded a 2007 4th round pick to Pittsburgh for a decent Defenseman Cory Cross. Cross isn't going to make a huge contribution, however, they are expecting him to make the regular rotation as a 5th or 6th defenseman.

So, much to the chagrin of Wings fans, there were no fireworks. No praising of Holland's genius... But he did have this to say in the Detroit Free Press:

"We weren't looking to do anything significant," Holland said. "Why do something significant? I think we've got five, six, seven players on our team that can play better. ... I still think as a team and individually, we can raise our game. So, again, why look to make a major overhaul at this stage of the game?"

And last time that I looked, the Wings were bouncing between 1st place and 2nd place with the Carolina Hurricanes... So, maybe Holland knows what he's doing.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think Kenny knows what he is doing. No one assumed the Wings were a lock to win the cup this year, and yet he has the squad near the top under a new coach in the first year of the dreaded cap era.

I remember writing somewhere before the season began that the cap would not help the badly run franchises. The Wings have a lot of accumulated experience, intelligence and skill in the front office. Smart folks can figure out any system, and with the resources the Illitches will inevitably divert from salary into scouting/coaching, the Wings will still have a big competitive advantage built on money.

Of all the NHL GMs, Kenny Holland has to be top 3. Who else would you want making (or not making) moves for a stretch playoff run? The man knows what it takes to win, and he's basically said that improvement must come from within. I like that a lot. Accountability.

3. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I think what has, and will continue to help the Wings is the crazy high quality scouting they have... seems to be especially good when it comes to European players.

If you look at guys like Zetterberg (210th) and Datsyuk (171st), each other team passed on them like 6 or 7 times before the Wings picked them up... Johan Franzen, their rookie addition to the grind line was a 3rd rounder... Holmstrom was the 257th pick (10th round)... Lidstrom was a 3rd rounder (53rd pick)... I said Lidstrom was a 3rd rounder... Kronwall was the 29th pick... Jason Williams was undrafted... Igor Grigorenko, expected to be here next year (62nd pick)... Jiri Hudler 58th... Valtteri Filppula 95th... Stefan Liv (Swedish Goalie, almost went to the Olympics, but suffered an injury) 102nd pick... Mathieu Dandenault was picked 49th... McCarty was 46th... Osgood was 54th...

The list goes on and on... but my point is they know where to find the talent... and even really talented rookies don't get a ton of money from the cap. But when you continually draft late, you need great scouting, bottom line.

Agree with you Micro, the Cap wasn't going to terribly hurt the well run teams, although I really wasn't expecting the Wings to be doing this well after cutting their payroll in half, and I must have grown accustomed to the "trade dealine rush"... this year it was a little bit of a let down. But watch out next year... we've got a lot of big contracts coming off the books.

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

[​IMG]

Igor Larionov's daughters.

Almost worth starting a new thread for this, but not quite.

5. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

The "Great One" has one too.
    [​IMG]

6. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Huh?

7. Woody

Woody All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Isn't hockey a great sport!

8. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

That's why they call him The Great One.

9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

With us going to the east next year, do you think we to pick up a goon ?

10. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I feel bad for the Black Hawks......the only original 6 member left in the west.

11. BallDon'tLie

This is a fact that escapes most Colorado Avalanche fans as they think Edmonton and Vancouver are original six teams.

12. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Didn't we have some kind of bet going on related to the Avalanche?

13. BallDon'tLie

ugggghhhh!
    I'll admit, I totally forgot! :behindsofa:

I'm prepared to take my medicine whenever you'd like me to.
    How long is my "punishment" again?

Do you want me to sport a simple Ave's logo? ...a picture of Claude Lemeuix? ...Milan Hejduk? ...Scott Parker? ...Adam Foote? ...Sandis Ozolinsh?

14. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Don't forget Forsberg. I saw him outside my office last week!

15. BallDon'tLie

I would have made some sort of obscene hand gesture toward him if I would have saw him.

16. coynejeremy

One month.

http://imageshack.us/a/img706/8845/coloradoavalancheavatar.jpg

17. BallDon'tLie

18. coynejeremy

[​IMG]

19. BallDon'tLie

I can't see the image in your post.
    I'll use this one until I can get it sorted out.

...this sucks.

20. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Been to long I guess, can you refresh us on the bet? and I feel terrible for you having to put such an offensive pic up for your avatar.