Allen Iverson

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by cwolfson, Jul 2, 2006.

1. MOTOWNMAN

MOTOWNMAN Second Round Draft Pick

Why no Dalembert? Just curious to what you think of his game? ​
  2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

The CBA states that a player can not be signed and traded along with another teammate.

My concern with A.I. is the abuse he's taken... too many injuries and not likely to improve over time.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

He is a 30 PPG player. With reluctant scorers in Sheed and Tay (unlikely for that too change anytime soon), maybe it's time to get someone who goes to the hoop fearlessly, can create his own shot and shoots a ton of FTs.

I know the risks, but conservative thinking is why the Pistons are in a pickle now. Pat Riley wasn't afraid to gamble. Joe wasn't afraid to gamble on Sheed.
  4. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

He's a volume shooter at a low %... his teammates stand around and watch the AI show... he gets a lot of assist because the ball is always in his hands until he's forced to give it up.
  5. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Does that sound very different from Flip's offense this season? Except, of course, that Billups shoots at a much lower percentage than AI. Flip's offense encourages a ball-dominating PG, and AI would at least give us one who could create in the lane.

MOTOWNMAN, I don't like Dalembert because he's extremely overpaid and has a low bball IQ. He led the Association in goaltends by a pretty wide margin, and aside from his shotblocking he's a lousy defender. He's also a bad offensive player, although he's a good rebounder. Ask a Sixers fan about him - they watch him a lot more than I do and almost every one I've seen seems to hate him.
  6. MOTOWNMAN

MOTOWNMAN Second Round Draft Pick

Enough said then. I have only seen him a few times and your definatly right on about the goaltending!
  7. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

i like iverson but my concern is his problem with injuries. part of our success has been being almost injury free during our 4 year run. although, if he came here he would be playing slightly less minutes even with flip as head coach.
  8. cwolfson

cwolfson First Round Draft Pick

The Pistons problem is that they have a starting lineup where every guy is a B+/A- player and that is very well matched as a unit. That's a problem because, as good as they are, they lack that go to guy that all the other top teams they have played have: Duncan, Bryant, LeBron, Shaq/Wade, etc. They've overcome more often than not, but the writing is on the wall, and I think fans are getting a bit tired of the game plan always revolving around trying to contain the best and most dangerous player on the floor, who is always on the OTHER team.

It would be tough to break up that combo and even maintain the high level they've played at the past 3 seasons, let alone improve it. Hence the game plan seems to be to keep this group together and try to improve on the margins. But no matter how strong the bench, they'll always face the same task as long as they have this group: trying to contain and overcome the best player on the floor, playing for the OTHER team.
  9. himat

himat Bench Warmer

When Sheed tries his hardest and goes inside we have that. When Sheed is on we're unstopable. Unfortunantly many things don't get him motivated:ohwell:. Its not the 5 starters thats the problem. It's the fact we have a 6-7 man rotation while the oher elite teams play 9-10 guys. That has to change.
  10. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

AI would be a Piston right now if Geiger wouldn't have waived his 1.2M trade kicker.... (AI & Geiger for Stack & change) .. so we know that Joe has interest in him... but at over 1/3 of the teams payroll?
  11. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

The trade you mention would have been for the 2000 version of Iverson. Joe D. had taken over at the end of the 1999-2000 season, and had just done the sign and trade for Ben, who was only 24 and ready to break out. AI had just turned 25, and went on to become the league MVP that season. That would have been a very interesting team.
  12. bezeach

bezeach First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

I'm a huge fan of an A.I. deal to come to Detroit. A mix up might be what Detroit needs, to get them going again. A.I. is what a playe that the pistons need, a driver and slasher to score when we are in a drought. I would do the trade in the last resort (if ben does leave)
  13. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

Iverson shot 44.7% from the field this year. He had a career year. Injuries are a concern, but a declining game isn't.
  14. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Iverson fits perfectly for what we need. But if Billips has a no trade clause, then it probably won't happen. And Joe has said he wants the starting 6 back.

I am not down on Billips but Iverson would give us the penetration and perimeter speed that we lack. Philly is desperately trying to dump him. amazing. But getting rid of Ben is not the answer. We would lose too much to gain him. I would be reluctant to trade Rip who is younger.
  15. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Trading Rip is a no..no.

Good contract, one of our best perimeter defenders (despite Chauncey's post season alcolades), and still young.

I do like the idea of bringing on Allen though. He is definitely hungry for a championship. I can already see the toughman comparisons between him and Zeke being brought to light again.
  16. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

If Iverson ever won a ring, he's probably replace Isiah as the best little man to play the game.

I think I'd rather lose Chauncey than Rip (maybe), but dunno how we can make it happen salarywise with Chauncey's contract. 3-way?
  17. LilWeez

LilWeez Second Round Draft Pick

How about a sign and trade with Ben and Iverson and might as well give them Chauney for a draft pick for next year and that would free up some money for Bonzi to cover center. That would be a great starting 5

Pg- Allen Iverson
    Sg- Richard "RIP" Hamilton
    Sf- Tayshaun Prince
    Pf- Rasheed Wallace
    C- Bonzi Wells

That would be the greatest thing I think...Iverson had a good 5 years left and him and Sheed would probaly get along great. Let me know what you think.
  18. roscoe36

Bonzi is 6'5". You want him to play Center? :scared:
  19. LilWeez

LilWeez Second Round Draft Pick

Ben was only 6'9" and that was with the FRO, Bonzi still avg.'ed over 10 rebounds p/game
  20. roscoe36

Bonzi averaged 7.7 rebounds per game....