ALL TIME WORST PISTON TEAMS AND HOW WOULD YOU RANK THEM

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by OLD SKOOL HQ, Apr 19, 2013.

1. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

I CANT remember the last time I went through an ENTIRE Piston season and not have watched ONE GAME for an entire 48 minutes. Should I be ashamed more of myself or this team?? even the 16-66 team was more entertaining than this one. So , as far as you can remember , what is the worst Piston season you have witnessed??
  2. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I'll have to go with the second Kuester season.
  3. linwood

linwood All-Star

I moved to Michigan for the start of the 1993-1994 Pistons season. Being a basketball fan (mostly the 76er's), I was really excited to get into the Pistons. That team made it really, really hard.
  4. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

The ONLY reason this season was watchable was because of Drummond, and the second unit there for awhile.
    max and LA Dre like this.
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yea, I didn't watch a full game either. I agree, Laimbrane, that Drummond was the main reason worth watching the team. When Calderon joined the squad, that created some energy for a week or so, as well.
  6. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Was that Zeke's last season?
    That was a tough year for sure.
    I think we had Olden Polynice though and he was worth a subscription to the PASS Sports channel all by himself!
    linwood likes this.
  7. linwood

linwood All-Star

That team had Isaiah, Dumars, lindsay Hunter, Allan Houston, and Terry Mills at the guards. They had O.P. and Bill Laimbeer. On paper, should have been an excellent team. But, everyone was either too old or not old enough (inexperienced). Or injured.

I've never had a TV, so trying to follow that team at bars or friends houses was really difficult. They always got the smallest TV in the corner of the bar... if they showed the games at all.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
  8. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I wasn't watching in the teal years, so would have to say trying to retool with AI or CV/Gordon were the worst seasons as there was no future outlook.

We now have the makings of a good young core, so I was excited to see how each of them progressed this season.
  9. BallDon'tLie

That was just before I left Michigan.
    I worked at a place that had a luxury suite at the Palace and the tickets rarely got used by anyone from our company. I used to take my friends to games all of the time as the suite wouldn't even get used otherwise except for concerts and stuff. I saw a ton of Pistons games during this time and it was pretty dismal.

Was that the season that Isiah punched Laimbeer in practice and broke his hand?
  10. max

max All-Star

They usually made the playoffs in the teal years. Only 2 years really in which they sucked but they got G.Hill out of one of those. This has been going on for 4 years now - wears you down. Longest stretch since I started Following them. You have to go back to the 60's or 70's to find another example. This is the least I have watched the Pistons in my life. It got interesting with Drummond but then when he went down.
  11. linwood

linwood All-Star

Ha! That was the year Thomas broke his hand on Laimbeer's face. During practice! We talking about practice! That team kinda went from the Bad Boys to the Bad News Bears... sort of a redemption story in reverse.

I remember reading about the numerous fights they had during practice, in the locker room, etc. Should have been a great, scrappy team, but it was just a mess.

Here's an article I found about that year:

BASKETBALL; Battling Pistons Lose Thomas - New York Times
  12. BallDon'tLie

I can't even imagine 2 members of the 2012/2013 Pistons being passionate enough to even think about punching sombody at practice.
    The Pistons need a coach that will fire these guys up and get 'em to battle.
  13. linwood

linwood All-Star

I can't help but picture Pistons practices of the last few years being Film Review and walk throughs of plays, with Ben Gordon dribbling the ball and rolling his eyes, and Charlie V planking in the background.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  14. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Interesting take on a subject that is important, yet rarely discussed. We are talking charisma. The search is endless and it leaves such a void after so much feeding that all must take from one-another: that a sharper edge blends the unfolding of our society.

Our most perceptive critic of this approach was Christopher Lasch:

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Culture of Narcissism: American Life in an Age of Diminishing Expectations

Read it carefully.

What are teams or in a sense, any organization seeking? It has to start from the coach.

So, in a sense, we might look for a coach that projects enlightened dependence and yet has a sobriety in place that scoffs at popular infantile and fantasy...where, once I lived like a god, is not the ultimate "end-point".

I can think of three very heavy-type Piston coaches that combined such combinations and each had an individualized approach toward such problem solving (1965+):
    • Chuck Daly (1983-1992) A beautiful combo approach of what was to follow.
    • Doug Collins (1995-1998) Intellect about the game and your place within it.
    • Larry Brown (2002-2005) Passion as a morality play.
    All were teachers that expressed a passion. They had charisma.
    linwood and Nemo like this.
  15. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Or morality as a passion play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk