All-Time DP Specialty Teams

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by MotownPride, Sep 19, 2005.

1. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I love to expirement with different lineups and reflect upon former Pistons' contributions to our franchise. With that in mind, I decided to assemble some all-time specialty teams. My teams consists of mostly 80's and up players as that is when I became an avid fan. Let me know what you think? I supect this thread might spark some discussion as I bring up a couple Pistons from our past that were favorites to many!

Need a loose ball, a steal, ball pressure, timely block, defense at a feverish pitch? Then you need these Pistons in your lineup!

"Energizer Bunnies" ~ All Hustle Team
    C - Ben Wallace
    PF - Dennis Rodman
    SF - Jerome Williams
    SG - Lindsey Hunter
    PG - Isiah Thomas

Bench:
    Brian Cardinal
    Mike James

Larry Brown and Jerry Sloan's nightmare!

"The Bombers" ~ All 3-point Team
    C - Terry Mills
    PF - Clifford Robinson
    SF - Tayshaun Prince
    SG - Joe Dumars
    PG - Chauncey Billups

Bench:
    John Barry
    Dana Barros

Up by 6 and you know your team is going to be fouled?

"The Automatics" ~ All Free-Throw Team
    C - Bill Laimbeer
    PF - Kelly Tripucka ** I know he's more like a small but I cheated :) **
    SF - Richard Hamilton
    SG - Joe Dumars
    PG - Chauncey Billups

Bench:
    John Barry
    Allan Houston

Need to make a statement? Nothing says hello like two points "in deee faceee!" :)

"Dunk on Yo' Momma!" ~ All Dunk Team
    C - Darryl Dawkins ** hey we got a partial season from him, it counts! :)
    PF - Darwin Ham
    SF - Sean Elliot ** sorry this dude can get up **
    SG - Jerry Stackhouse
    PG - Grant Hill ** he can play the point, so why not? **

Bench:
    Cedric Ceballos **ex dunk champion **
    Ben Wallace
  2. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

The rest of the story

If it's going to be an "All-Time" list, let's go all the way back ...

No all-hustle team is complete without 70s favorites John Mengelt (the guy's nickname was "Crash," for God's sake) and Ron Lee. Both would go skidding across the court if somebody dropped a kernel of popcorn.

Two of the best dunkers ever in a Pistons uniform were from the 1960s ("Pogo Joe" Caldwell, one of the very early skywalkers) and the 80s ... a guy named Edgar Jones, who was about 6'8 ... two-thirds of it goatee. He'd play lousy for six or seven games, then erupt for four or five minutes of blocking shots and stuffing home rebounds. Our dunkingest white boy was Gus Gerard, a late 70s ABA refugee who never harnessed his ability due to drug problems.

A great free throw shooter and underappreciated guard from the early 1960s was Gene Shue, who later became better known as a coach for the 76ers. He shot as high as 87% from the line for Detroit in the late 50s, and briefly held the league scoring record for a guard before Oscar Robertson showed up.
  3. MotownPride

cool.

Excellent. This is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for. I love your descripton of Edgar Jones: "two thirds of it goatee" lol. Do you think the Pogo Joes and Edgar Jones of yesteryear can really compete athletically with the highflyers today?

Was it me or could most of those ABA leaguers really get up? And what has happened to the finger roll? lol. It seems to be a forgotten art these days. :)
  4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The lists

If you're going to have Dana Barros on the 3-point list, you might as well add him to the FT list, too. He is 28th all-time in NBA career FT% at .8578.

Also, if we're going with guys with only a year or so time as a Piston, you might just as well add Hubert Davis to the all 3-point team. He is 2nd all-time in NBA career 3-PT% at .4409. Only Steve Kerr is better (.4540).

Cool lists, by the way.
  5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

LanierFan: LOL. I remember Ron "kamikazee" Lee, Edgar Jones, and Mengelt. Gene Shue, too, although he was before my time. I don't remember Caldwell or Gerard at all though. :ohwell:
  6. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Absolutely they could. People act as if human evolution has been on fast-forward during the last 30 years, but nature doesn't accelerate just because it's televised. Styles, training and sports medicine have all advanced, and the huge money now available certainly attracts a larger pool of athletes. But take a look at the physique on Joe Caldwell at the link below, and tell me he's less impressive than today's players. The difference is that there are more Joe Caldwells now.

http://www.remembertheaba.com/TributeMaterial/Caldwell.html

While I'm ranting: Did you know that Brooklyn's famous Boys High teams back in the 1950s wouldn't put a kid on the roster if he couldn't dunk? Believe me, guys have been skying for longer than you think. There just wasn't money or acclaim in it until recently.

As for the finger roll, I think it goes back to so many big athletes now packed around the basket. You can't get that shot off anymore unless you're a Wilt Chamberlain type who releases it above the basket. Same with those pretty scoop layups that Zeke used to make. Any guy with the hands and reach to finger-roll is going to dunk it, especially since dunks make highlights.

Okay, I'm done now ... except I'll add Terry Tyler and John Long to the all-time lists for dunking/shot blocking and 3-pointers, respectively.
  7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Dobber

Good point, Dobber, about the difficulty in just getting off a finger roll these days without getting it swatted. If you go to the rim with anything soft today, you never know who may be lurking (Tayshaun Prince, even Lindsey Hunter, etc.) to throw your pretty shot into the 5th row. Just ask Reggie...
  8. MotownPride

Thanks. I forgot about Hubert Davis stent with the Pistons and Dana's Free throw pct...I was pretty much coming straight from the dome with these selections. Funny, when Hubert was on the team.... I can't remember him even taking a three point shot...maybe once. ???
  9. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Laim, look at Horace Jenkins last year. How many times did we see him drive into the lane and get absolutely annihilated? I honestly don't remember his little teardrop runner ever going unswatted, but he probably scored with it all the time in the Greek leagues.
  10. MotownPride

Joe is killiin' me with those sideburns, but I see your point. :)

True. So true. But no one did it better than the Iceman. :) Those scoop plays by Zeke were classic though.
  11. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Yeah they were. But I'll tell you something else about those Gervin finger rolls: The highlight films don't show you all the ones he missed. He put so much topspin on those things, they'd hop off the front rim and kick back-iron as if they were jet propelled.
  12. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Great stuff guys... Dobber, ya killin' me with Edgar Jones and "Crash"... luv it man.
    I gotta put TT (Terry Tyler) on the "All Hustle" & "Ups" team
    No doubt Edgar "the head case " Jones could sky with the best ever.

We'll never know about some old pure shooters "bomber" potential like Dave Bing, Dave Debusschere etc.
  13. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

All Time Teams

Shouldn't an all dunk team include
    PF: Terry Tyler

SF: T. Prince for the beautiful put backs (Sean Elliot ???, cough, cough, gag) lol

C: Bennie Wallace
  14. Big C

Big C First Round Draft Pick

Lanierfan

Thank you for representing for us old schoolers. Man im reading that list and im like where is "crash" and "lee". Where is Edgar jones? Me and my friends back in the day use to joke that Edgar would be captain of the all ugly team also. Didnt he have teeth missing? If they had 3 point line in 70's I wonder what instant Heat Trapp would have done. Al Eberhard and Chris Ford could have been on my all hustle bench.
  15. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Thanks for the kind words. I try to limit my recollections of the old days for everyone's sanity, but I fail frequently. :)

Never was keen on Eberhard, a heavy legged albino who looked like the star of a 1960s Latvian team. Very stiff. Ford was a nice swingman and really good defender, but he could be a hot dog who picked the wrong time to jack up shots. He hurt us in some playoff games. Plus the dope ripped up Lanier's knee diving for a loose ball in the NCAA tourney.

Meanwhile I found a surprise yesterday -- a new candidate for the role of all-time designated Pistons white dunker. Anybody remember David Wood from around 1993? I saw a yard sale bloopers video from the old Continental Basketball Association. He had highlights all over that thing. 6'9", kind of a Chris Anderson/David Lee type.
  16. MotownPride

David Wood....

..sounds vaguely familiar. I will have to look back in the Pistons archives. He couldn't have played any meaningful minutes.
  17. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

I just looked him up. He averaged about 13 minutes a game in 93-94, played pretty much the whole schedule. Believe he's still playing in Spain or Italy.