All Star Weekend 2012

Discussion in 'February 2012' started by roscoe36, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Need to do away with the dunk contest and replace it with a one on one contest. The first 2 match ups would take place before the 3 point shooting contest with the final match up at the end of the night. Match up 1: Kobe vs. Wade Match up 2: Durant vs LeBron Then have the winner of each contest face each other at the end of the night. One million dollars goes to the winner as well as a million to the charity they are playing for. Also they get bragging rights for the year.

This would once in for all make these big name guys put up or shut up.
    basketbills likes this.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

One on one would be sweet. I'd make it a 4 man tourney and let the winner come back to defend the next year. Make it take it to 21.

Also, no ref... let the players call their own fouls and get booed if they go overboard.

The dunk contest has clearly been played out. Video cameras on the head, glow in the dark dunks, fake blind folds, 2nd round of stickers on the backboard, jumping over 7'2" centers where you land on their neck repeatedly... and every dunk is just a pump windmill anyway.

Buddinger's first dunk was pretty cool, but that was mainly because he did it on the first attempt. I'd do away with the clock and give each guy a maximum of 2 misses per round if it's hear to stay.
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think the dunk contest gets a bit of a bad rap. Last nights was OK. It wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible either.

I agree that hitting the 1st attempt is key for watching on TV. I bet it is not such a let down watching it live. (Picture watching someone at the park try those dunks. I don't think you would think less of the dunk if it took someone a few tries if you were standing 5' away.)

I forgot about Budinger's blindfold dunk. I thought that was pretty good. If he could see then he is a heck of an actor.

The contest would be best served by just looking the other way sometimes and letting say Blake Griffin last year get another crack at the dunk while giving Derrick Williams from last night the hook. You can kind of tell after the 1st try which is worthy of waiting for.
  4. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

They should pick the contestants from the all-star game. I don't care if a guy like Jeremy Evans can dunk with 10 balls, I still don't want to watch him dunk.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I wouldn't mind seeing a non NBA contestant each year as well. They could run an American Idol like contest to see who gets in.

It would be fun seeing some 5'6" park legend trying to show up the NBA guys.

By the way, I was kind of bummed seeing our draft pick in the dunk contest. We took cash instead of Buddinger I believe.
  6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Traded for future 2nd round pick and cash. I think he'll have a nice career as a bench/role player in the league.
  7. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Ugh that was a total waste of viewing time.

I watched the Skills thing aswell. What a joke. 30 minutes of point guards slow jogging around the court. No wonder nobody cares about it.
  8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The West put up 88 points in the first half of tonights game? Isn't that the Piston's full game average this season?

38 points from the Oklahoma City duo alone....

Kobe is trying to be the MVP, but Durrant after finishing second in the 3pt contest and coaching the west to 30 point loss in celebrity game is trying to redeem himself before the week is over with 21 first half points.
  9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

All Star Saturday.....Some of the tickets cost more than THE GAME itself....and sometimes its a dud like parts of last night. The Dunk contest was considered boring because of the scoring system and lack of starz in contest itself. A bunch of gimmicks were used to supplement the non-star quality players.....Its a shame that even in the Shooting Stars competition they can't even find named WNBA player to participate.....
  10. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

The ASG was fun. Not sure Durant deserved MVP, but it's the all star game. :noidea: LeBron's catching some flak though.
  11. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I bet the demolition phase was easy for him.
  12. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

13. BallDon'tLie

The Dunk contest gets worse and worse every year. Nobody wants to see a bunch of 2nd year scrubs have a contest to see who can get the biggest named celeb to jump over or who can come up with the most elaborate props to enhance otherwise ordinary slam dunks.

Some huge company needs work with the NBA and throw an obsene amount of money at this thing. I'd be cool with them making a huge media campaign out of this and doing whatever is necessary to attract the star players that everyone wants to see. Let the fans vote on who gets in and pay each player some crazy cheddar as an appearence fee with the winner getting a massive payday.

I might even add in a element that takes into consideration the best in-game dunks from the past year as a portion of the overall score. Fans could vote on highlight dunks from the participants that would account for 10% of their overall score.

Kids wanna see dudes like D-Ho, LeBron, Kobe, Westbrook, Griffin, Iggy, Wade, Lil' Nate, Wall, etc...

If the dunk contest was cool enough for legends like Doc, Michael and 'Nique, It should be cool enough for the big-name dudes of today.

They need to either make this thing an absolutely crazy media circus or get rid of it all together.
  14. Nemo

All Star weekend seems so different these days. I just don't think we're going back to the way it was. Players just don't seem to care for this event any more. Kinda like the NFL Pro bowl. This has also become more of a family vacation that a sports event. I would like money thrown at the players' favorite charities..........to lure some competitive interest in these events. I just don't like the idea of throwing MORE money at these players............
  15. BallDon'tLie

This would be the ideal situation.
  16. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

The big players won't risk an injury in a dunk contest.
    I'm not saying this is right or wrong, just saying it. Maybe in the past, guys like Dominique, Jordan, Kemp, were much more MAN than todays twitter addicts.

Anyway, I would love to see a Rose, Westbrook, Lebron, Griffin contest.

BUT without that stupid thing of present your dunk.. man, just give him the ball and let's see what he does.

I hate Griffin's last years dunks for all those pre-dunk actings.. just dunk the ball in a flashy way and look at the cameras like Vince Carter used to.
  17. BallDon'tLie

If you throw enough money at these guys (or their charities) they'd do it.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think big name players are more worried about embarrassment than injury when it comes to the dunk contest.

There is probably some who feel like every dunk has already been done it would be embarrassing to go out there and disappoint the audience who always wants something bigger and better.
  19. BallDon'tLie

I don't think that there is anything to be embarassed about if your one of the top- players in the league. It's about giving the fans a show and bringing attention to the league that allows you to earn luxurious living. I can't stand LeBron James but I'm not gonna blame him if he loses a dunk contest to Blake Griffin. If it was good enough for Doctor J and Mike Jordan - it should be good enough for todays stars.

...and there are still plenty of dunks that haven't been done yet.
    I can't remember anyone jumping over a freezer full of meat while holding a weedeater and reciting Rumi poetry.
  20. Nemo

I like the idea of the swimming pool.........16" deep with a diameter of 8 feet....filled with piranha. Kobe takes off from the free throw line.........over the pool.....tosses bologna into the water..........then slams the ball home.

His charity could be "Save the Wildlife Fund".......................