Alex Acker

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Superstarov, Jun 12, 2006.

1. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'd like to see AJ and Acker spend one more full season in the D league, then they can come up and watch from the first row for our (hopeful) playoff run.

I'd like to see Delfino and Maxiell get some meaningful PT with the big boys starting the first game of the season and continuing until the final buzzer of the last game.

I'd like to see us add 1-3 hungry, proven, veteran players to the roster. Depending on what happens with guys like Hunter and Davis. I'd imagine there's close to a 0% chance Cato is back.
  2. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Acker I'm not sure about. It depends on what we do in the offseason. But Amir Johnson had strong offensive rebounding numbers and an ungodly 67% field goal shooting in D League play. He averaged 17 and 7 in 27 minutes of play, then came up and scored 18 in his first taste of extended NBA action. So I want him in the NBA next season. Rebounding stats generally translate pretty well for guys moving up a level, and we need that kind of energy in the paint.

By the way: Don't forget our Archives section if you need to look something up. You can find some NBA.com game stories with Acker and Johnson in our April or May listings.
  3. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think this kid's too old to become a solid player who is good enough for this team. He doesn't seem special to me. I think AJ and JMax are enough young talent.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

With a team like the Pistons, no regular season game should be so critical that they can't inject a Darko/ JMax/ Amir from time to time to see what they possess. Especially considering how the regulars have a tendancy to coast. A talented starter who is coasting is not always more effective than an inexperienced bench warmer with a desire to impress Joe D.

Flip just had way too much pressure to win to prove that he was not a downgrade from LB. Joe D should have assured him that developing a bench would not reflect negatively upon him.
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Acker is a solid project to keep. He's got speed, length and a nice outside shooting touch.

Sure he's a project, but what did we expect for the last pick in the draft?

The price is right, we only get the last overall pick this year, and 3 men are deactivated each game. There is no reason not to let him play another year in the D-League and if he continues to play well, reward him with some PT in the bigs.
  6. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

We didn't get to see enough of Acker or any other rook for that matter.I think NBDL for some time this year would be good.Some burn would be nice to see them against the bigboys.

From what we've read and seen as far as Max staying up in the bigs on the pine he should be ready to go this year and get some minutes.
  7. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Too old? He's like 23. With 1 year in the fringe of the Pro's. He's got the 4 year college thing going on. He might not be Michael Redd but he could be a contributor here.
  8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I think HCA is still a very important goal... the idea is not to be extended to 7 games while your next opponent is resting and practicing against your sets... if we go into game #1 on equal terms there's a good chance that a game 7 is at home....

Is it possible to reach a concensus as to what the right balance is for how much is proper development and how much is risk of getting bounced on someone elses home court in the 1st round.
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

HCA is wasted on a team that prefers to play with their backs to the wall.
  10. himat

himat Bench Warmer

What I would like to see is 6-8 minutes for the starters in the first 3 quarters than 9-10 in the 4th so that they can pull out the game in the end. This means the starters will only play 27-34 minutes and give the bench a chance:fingerscr.
  11. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Bravo Bravissimo. Why bother?:frusty:
  12. jammertime

I for one would much prefer a team that DIDN'T need to have their backs against the wall to succeed. As this season proved, there is too little margin for error involved. Eventually it will catch up with you.

I will be VERY disappointed if this team has the same mentality next season. The problem is, unless there is a major overhaul, I think that's exactly what we'll end up with.

Dice is the only player on this team that gets any minutes of worth, that hasn't won a ring. That scares me. We need more guys like that, not less.

We need guys like the undrafted Ben Wallace, the well travelled Chauncey Billups the nomadic Sheed, the dropped by Jordan Rip and the overlooked Tayshaun Prince. Unfortunately Ben, CB, Tay, Sheed and Rip aren't those guys anymore. They never will be again. They've all found a home. Found respect. Found (or are about to) their big payday and found a ring.

Now its up to Joe D. to find those types of guys, the diamonds in the rough, the chip on the shoulder, the something to prove type guys to keep this team moving forward. Otherwise, it'll be a long, painful (for us fans) fall back down to earth.
  13. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

soooooo...... rebuild? That's what it sounds like at least.

A part of me thinks so. If this team didn't have the fire this year, when will they? Before it's too late? :ohwell:

So frustrating.
  14. jammertime

Hell no. Not a rebuild. More of a retool. Just a few hungry pieces to help us stay on top.
  15. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

we had hungry guys. unfortunately they were stuck on the bench and no chance to play. thanks flip.

hunter looked like the hungriest of them all and he is the oldest and has the most championships. figure that one.
  16. jammertime

Great point about Hunter webz.
  17. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Which was exactly my point. We are in agreement sir.:thumb:
  18. max

max All-Star

I would love to get to the bottom of exactly where that non-challant attitude comes from? Is it one player who leads it or the entire team? How can you not be hungry after only 1 title? Why does the team always need to be the underdogs to give it 100%?
  19. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I don't know if its a player, but the team has gotten overconfident. I hope them not winning 2 straight years changes there mindset next season:fingerscr.