1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

AJ or JMax Who Is Better At This Time?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Apr 18, 2007.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Now that we are getting to see AJ play some good solid minutes with the Pistons I am wondering what the forum members think about who is better at this point between the two young Pistons.

If you had to chose between one of the two for the the playoff roster which one would it be and why.

Thanks for your participation

:hoops:

2. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hmmm, I could preface this with "I have to see more" or similar statements, but a straight question deserves a straight answer - I would pick AJ. Maybe I'm falling victim to this emotional high, but he led the team in points (also the game leader in points), rebounds, blocks, and tied for the lead in steals. The only thing JMax led the team in was fouls (fouling out in the process). Of course, the last game of the season vs the Celtics might not be such a great indicator, but this was an outstanding performance, better than JMax in similar minutes. I am a big fan of JMax, but right now AJ clearly has the momentum. I would love to see him in some first round minutes vs Orlando.

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

This was the question I was asking myself as I was watching the game tonight. For AJ to put up his usual D-League numbers against an NBA team (including starters) is pretty impressive.

I like them both and think they play well together.

Here's the thing that I was really noticing about Amir tonight: he seems to be the quickest guy in the world at getting his own turnovers back. It's a lot easier to excuse a player for careless mistakes when he goes diving after them.

Another thing, his 3's were missing, but they were right on. He hit them at a decent % in the D-League and I think it is safe to assume that this shot will be in his arsenal at some point.

4. buddahfan

Magic Johnson did not become some what proficient at making 3s until after he had been in the league a number of years. The same can be said of Laimbeer and I am sure many others.

I just think it would be waste if AJ starting playing like a Euro; i.e., spending most of his offensive time at the perimeter, so we don't want him to become too proficient at them. Better he should develop a Dyess type mid range face up jumper with the same degree of accuracy as Dyess.

I see AJ as more like Dyess and less like Sheed when these respective guys were in their primes.

5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I'd say they are equal at this point. However, with any playing time in the NBA at all, I believe Amir would be better. I would even go as far as to say that I would start JMAX over Webber, but that I would start Amir over either one. But, what should really happen is this-Amir, JMAX, and Dale Davis should play as a trio, with Delfino in the backcourt. Dyess should spell Webber early in both quarters so that he can come out early in the 2nd quarter to set up the above trio.

6. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I think Flip can safely give Amir some time in the 1st round to show what he can do. If he does well, then he earns playing time for the games thereafter. That's what I would think. I don't think Maxiell will get much playing time, but we'll see.

7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Interesting how some of us liked Amir better than Max at first but when Max got to the bench and games first, I thought we backed the wrong horse. Looks like Amir might take Max well before the finsh line.

8. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

AJ for one big reason... REBOUNDING. Free throw shooting helps as well, along with a softer touch inside.

Amir is prone to a couple more rookie "slip ups" defensively, but that's to be expected (age and experience difference). Give him a few weeks solid of NBA minutes (10-15 per), and he should make up a lot of that difference.

If Amir can develop a reliable 15-18 foot jumper over the summer (ala Dice), it will be impossible for Flip to keep him out of the rotation. The good news is, with his size, quickness, and athletic ability, he can see minutes at both the SF and PF, so minutes should be available.

9. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Another way to ask the question is, who better fits our needs right now? I'd say Amir because he's very quick to the loose ball and an eager rebounder. Pistons lack players with those qualities, and in the playoffs both are important.

10. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

Amir.

JMax is smaller and slower with less offense IMO.

But Jmax makes up for all that with hustle and heart. But it can only take you so far. Amir has those as well.

So all in all, at the end of the day, one of these guys are gonna be doing stuff for another team. I'm hoping JMax would be that and Amir stays on and continues his development. But if Joe can find a way that both of them stays with the upcoming 3 picks, Acker, Blalock, Samb, keeping CNote, Dice, Webber, I'll welcome a solution.

Until then, I'm sticking with Amir.

11. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'd say JMax is the second coming of Corliss Williams with a little bit more upside. He can be a solid contributor as a starter on a weak team or a nice player coming off the bench with us.
    For Amir, he can be one heck of a PF or SF. Sky is the limit for him.
    I think they could be a nice combo at the forward positions. The missing piece is a young C. I've heard Darko becomes a free agent after this season.

12. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Well I don't know how many 20 & 12 games Brahma has put up this year... but you get the feeling with some consistent PT Amir could do that several times

13. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I like them both.

Put them both in and let them BEAT on some folks.

:yellowprison::yellowprison:

14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

This would be fire-power:
    Bup-Bup
    Rip
    Acright
    Amir
    Brand
    This would be Detroit Basketball:
    Bup-Bup
    Rip
    Tay
    Max
    Sheed
    With Dale coming off the bench

15. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Me too. But AJ > Jmax.

16. buddahfan

It surprises me that JMax is not a better rebounder. He is not much shorter than Big Ben, not that I am comparing the two at this point mind you. I know Big Ben is exceptional but still it seems to me that JMax under achieves when it comes to rebounding.

I haven't seen him play too much and it could be his positioning on defense dictated by who he has to guard. It just seems to me that for someone of his energy level, over all size and strength and jumping ability that he should be able to get more than 2.8 rebounds per 14 plus minutes a game. Those are small forward rebounding numbers not #2 numbers. So maybe it is due to whom he has to guard and his positioning on the floor. Anyone got any other theories.

His last year with the Bearcats he averaged 7.7 boards a game in 31 minutes. So his rebounding per minute is down from .25 rebounds a minute to .2 rebounds a minute or by 20%.

Some games he seems to rebound really well and then in some games like last night against Boston he practically disappears on the boards with only 4 boards in 31 minutes.

As a JMax fan this is probably the part of his game that frustrates me the most. Hopefully his numbers in this area will improve with experience. But somehow I have the feeling that he will never put up power forward rebounding numbers.

17. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I haven't seen AJ play at all, not even during the summer and not the D-League.

However, by all indications from the media, coaches and last but not least, our qualified and most studious basketball fanatics on PF, I will definitely pick AJ over JMax if I had to chose one.

I would like to see both of these guys get some serious minutes next year.

The biggest problem may be having both of these guys on the floor at the same time. AJ at PF, he needs to add some bulk and JMax at PF not aggressive enough on the boards and lack the height to bang with the big PF's. What AJ lacks in size and depth, he easily makes up for it with his athleticism and quickness.

18. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

AJ by a wide margin. Amir has better shooting touch, quickness, instincts, and handles. Everytime he seemed on the verge of being out of control he suddenly gathers himself. My only complaint is a mild one, and that is, he hasn't caught passes as cleanly as needed, specially in traffic.

JMax has seemed to stall / plataeu without improving weaknesses early in the season.

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

How about those FT line jumpers by JMax though? Great touch.

That is another dimension to his game. He has a nice high release, like Sheed, which helps him play taller than he is.

20. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

I half expected to see more consistant offensive play from JMax as the season progressed. FT shooting still sucks, he still over kills layups, and post moves haven't advanced. Who knows, maybe there is some leveling out of production because the league knows about him now. To his credit he is boxing out stronger.