airing of my grievances

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Griffin, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Griffin

Griffin First Round Draft Pick

I was devastated when Ben decided to walk. Devastated. I still am. But even so, I thought our Detroit Pistons would recover and remain among the upper echelon in the East.

However, I've seen enough to know that we are not going to be such a team.

This is a mediocre team, a fat team, and a team holding on to a bygone era. This is a team headed nowhere, with no future to speak of. The Pistons - only recently the league's most intimidating team - have become a platoon of walking dead. They are ghosts of a more successful time (that we can now put in a tidy box called The Ben Wallace Era). Back in those days we played ruff and ugly. We guarded the paint. We drew fouls. We played with confidence and mojo. And under Larry's guidance, we also played smart. We passed the ball and looked for open shots. We tried to go inside. We crashed the boards. We took few three-point attempts. We played Man defense. We created turnovers. All those small things that set a team apart.

Chauncey Billups said he was happy that the Pistons could go back to being the hunters this season, what with no real outside expectations for success. But Billups was mistaken. The Pistons have become juicy prey for all the true wolves in the wilderness. They see a vulnerable team with no discernable advantages over their own. They see a beatable team.

What's worse is that, after losing Ben, the Pistons braintrust decided to a.) sign two pieces of garbage in Nazr Mohammad & Ronald Murray; b.) overkill the phrase "Deee-troit basketball" as though we were still living in the good ol' days of The Ben Wallace Era. I want to briefly talk about both issues.

First, about Nazr & Flip Murray. These guys do some things that aren't awful, but neither does anything worth a damn. Basketball isn't about scoring. It's about being able to do the little things. It's about knowing when to pass and when to shoot. It's about having timing & rhythm. It's about snatching the ball out of the air, not lightly scooping a rebound.

Nazr & Flip don't play basketball like this. Nazr is frail, slow, uninspiring and often plain clueless. This guy loses track of where the ball is all too often. Flip looks to dribble too much, then to shoot. Larry Brown would never have played this guy. Sure, it's nice when he gets hot....but how often is he hot?

In short, these guys are average and meaningless. Desperate signings by a desperate GM. But what do you do when the heart of your franchise leaves?

Apparently, you plaster "Deee-troit basketball" all over billboards and radio commercials and you force us to say it before the tip-off.

Yes, this chant meant something two years ago. It came spontaneously from Mason during the 2004 season. Our defense was so lockdown that it only made sense for the fans to get involved. "Dee-troit basketball" mocked the opposition when they failed. It was a perfect way for the fans to connect with their special team.

Now it is used as a marketing tool. It means nothing. And everytime it's said, it's as though we're holding on to the past when in reality we should be moving on.

If "Deee-troit basketball" is going to stay, then I submit that it's only said once in a great while but never forced or contrived. (HA! Who am I kidding? THERE'S ONE CALL FOR US ALL!!! Hey, and while we're at it let's ring the gong whenever Tayshaun makes a good play!! It'd be ashame to let that one go.)

Maybe the Pistons' braintrust wanted to remind the fans that Deee-troit Basketball goes beyond Big Ben, and that's why they chose to put such emphasis on the phrase. After all, Sheed, Billups, Rip, Tay, Hunter...these guys were all here in '04. That's true. But isn't it becoming clear that without Ben none of it works? Might it be worth theorizing that this team should be drastically overhauled. Like without Ben, the other planets have nothing to revolve around? Like Prince, Rip, Sheed, and Billups mean nothing without Ben? Maybe it's time to build a new solar system from scratch?

Maybe. Or maybe it's all really Flip Saunders' fault.

It is, after all, his philosophies that have molded the Pistons into a team of smooth edges and pink skirts.

I am no genius and yet I can see this. Joe D, I know you see it, too. So what're ya gonna do?

Are you waiting for Flip to dig his own grave and resign so as to avoid firing another high profile coach? Or is it that you don't know who else to get? I admit, the NBA coaching pool is always shallow, and even more so when you consider how few coaches have won it all in the past 30 years. But this is why you have all the acclaim, Joe. Because you can see what the rest of us can't. Right? Isn't that right, Joe?

I hate to say it, but I'm starting to wonder. You're a few years removed of a truly positive move, maybe not since the Rasheed trade. Signing Flip Saunders; signing Flip Murray and Nazr Mohammad; trading Darko and Arroyo for nada; signing Dale Davis; not signing a legit backup PG to replace Mike James, etc. I'm just saying is all. It's worth noting.

The thing is, I know you've got the skills to get the job done, Joe. You know Sauders isn't the guy for the job. Even in the "new NBA." You know Pistons basketball - aka Goin' to Work basketball - is about being nitty & gritty. Not about being pretty. Not about jumpshots and zone defenses.

And if that won't work, if you - Joe - are under strict orders to keep Flip Saunders by the old man upstairs, then I must turn my plea directly to Flip Saunders.

Hey Flip.
    I know you want to be successful here in Detroit. You want your free-flowing offense to translate into a championship. But the reality is that defense is more important than offense, and your failure to grasp that drove our greatest player out of town. Now our franchise is bleeding to death, and you offer it no hope of recovery.
    I'm asking you, Flip, please, to step down and go somewhere else. You don't fit here. YOU DON'T FIT HERE. So go somewhere else. Go somewhere where you'll fit better.

We'll be happier and so will you.

Sincerely,

Griffin

PS. what's the deal with all these new Palace amenities? Bunker suites? Another bar/atrium area? I wonder sometimes if all the empty seats aren't because people are milling about these periphery means of entertainment? Why not build a tunnel connecting the Palace directly to the Great Lakes Crossing mall? Isn't that what Tom Wilson is morphing the Palace into?

or maybe the empty seats are related to the Palace's horrible proximity in the Metro Detroit area. We have central cities so the people can gather to them. Isn't that why they're called the Detroit Pistons? Will there ever be a day when they move back downtown? How come nobody complains about this anymore? I am alone in feeling embarrassed by where the Pistons play?

enough.
  2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Best thing I've read in a long time about this team.
  3. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

GREATEST POST IVEEVER READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!JOIN US... AND WE will complete your training..with our combine forces we can bring order TO THIS GALAXY!
  4. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Time for the FIRE FLIP countdown. Nazr got dumped by the Knicks, nobody wanted Flip but us, what is going through Joe's mind?
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

6. detteam

detteam All-Star

Dear Griffin,

Thank you. You wrote the one single post that put together, clearly, the intended meaning of probably a hundred or more of my posts that are often riddled with facetiousness in hoping to get a laugh to help make me feel better about the Pistons current situation.

I nominate your piece for 'Post of the Year' on PF.com.

Good work my friend...I hope Joe gets the message.
  7. max

max All-Star

Sadle its so true. I can't think of a single good move that has panned out that we still have since the Sheed trade. I like to think that he picked a couple of good players with Maxiel and Johnson and can also see Delfino's potential but to date they have not made a significant impact.

Its staggering when you think about the talent drop-off since 03/04.

Palace staff has also chosen this season to raise ticket prices to the highest levels ever and have also sold off the vip parking spaces that they used to give to season ticket holders to private bidders. So VIP parking is now in the prime General parking areas and Genral parking as has gotten pushed back even more.

You are definetly getting less for your dollar at the Palace these days.
  8. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

GREAT post Griff!!! Terrific.:nod:
  9. linwood

linwood All-Star

I second this post.
  10. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

[SIGN]Sad but True[/SIGN]
    Griffin, everything you said is exactly right.

Joe D. has made some big mistakes the last few years, but he's no dummy, and I'm sure he sees that the window is closed. I predict we will see new a coach and traded starters before the start of next season.
  11. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

oh wow i didn't know they did that with the parking. we've been season ticket holders for a few years now and never gotten VIP parking heh. our tickets went up $10 a game this year...but hopefully that means we can sell them for even more on stubhub :D
  12. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I SECOND, THIRD and FOURTH your comments Griff.

The only thing that needs to happen with your post now is to save it as an attachment and either e-mail it or mail it to Joe Dumars with a CC: to Mr. Davidson.

EXCELLENT POST.
  13. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Hey Roscoe, think you can send this post to Joe D?

I'm sure at least 80% of the forum members will sign a petition too if needed.

FIRE FLIP!!! NOW!!!
  14. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

what a long BUT GREAT post, Griffin :nerd2::MusicBigGrin:
    This team wouldn't be above average even with Ben, don't worry- this was probably the best time to break up. Now we can keep that shot blocking warrior who was able to change games with his defensive game only and not that complaining Ben who wanted more touches for no reason and who refused to re- enter games.
    True, true- what is the reason Joe had to let all these players (Mike James, Okur, Darko, Arroyo and others) go withoug getting anyything in return? How could one of the best benches in this league become a bunch of scrubs. Don't get me wrong, I love JMax and Fino, Dyess is decent at times, but this bench is far away from the level of '04. Pretty far- I admit I'm envy when looking at teams that can afford to go deep and play about 10 to 12 players each night.
  15. max

max All-Star

You get a VIP upgrade with the early bird special. Thats paying it all up front by a certain date. Of course now VIP is what used to be the prime general parking slots.
  16. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

what the hell, i'm fairly certain we paid in FULL right from the beginning!! i'm gonna have to talk to my palace guy about this.
  17. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Early feelings about this season are that Joe and Mr. D sold fans a bill of goods regarding the desire to win Championships. Couldn't keep Okur, Corliss or James in order to ensure that a champisonhip level core is kept intact. Few games into the season and it is clear that this team is not championship caliber and without a major trade, will not be.

I think the salary the Bulls paid to Ben is way too high but my position has softened in one regard. Ben is a one-dimensional player but he brought heart to this bunch of underachievers (OK I am being harsh). Ben may or may not be a success with the Bulls but he was the perfect fit for this group of players at this time. He brought the lunch pail mentality that was characteristic of the OLD Pistons. Joe lost sight of this intangible quality and has done nothing to make up for it with a significant trade.

I am not down on the Pistons, I am frustrated by the fact that I don't recognize the team that steps out on the court every night. The offense only mentality will not work for this team as they are not geared around high production offensive players. They need to create offense through defense and hard work.
  18. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I kind of think we sold our soul with LB to get that title. That San Antonio series was awesome even though we came up short. But right now, its about Satan cashing in on (or is it LB cashing in) that deal. I'm not saying that LB was a bad move but what we are complaining about...a history of non-development on draft picks...GM and coaching philosophys not quite on the same page...all have some of its roots in that series of quick coaching changes.
  19. max

max All-Star

Its hard to knock the LB deal because of the title. I would trade Flip for Carlisle right now in a heartbeat. Would not even be a debate, where do I sign?
  20. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

It's difficult to retain a Ship capable group for more than two or three years... Only the Spurs come to mind. If your players are performing well other teams with excess cap dollars will overspend for them... your also stuck with late draft picks.
    We had a chance to be an exception to this trend... the #2 pick is well documented... retaining Memo was a choice between a more seasoned player or him during our ship window.
    Add in the fact that our owner will not go into the lux threshold and we have the current state of the team... older players and late picks competing against high picks that have grown up (typically better talent). It's not healthy to be dissillusioned thinking your late picks will be better than others given X amount of minutes.
    I really don't think Ben would have made enough difference to keep this team in the top 3 or 4... even if he did it would be short lived and further crippled our chances to retool... He's getting outplayed by most centers these days.

We can piss and moan about it or we can accept that our window is closing and hope that Joe comes up with a quick rebuilding plan (just making the playoffs isn't enough).
    What the Spurs have done is the envy of every GM... they've mastered buying low and selling high... they seem to know just the right time to drop declining players and understand international talent better than anyone else.

The one saving grace is that Joe did not completely mortgage the future... we did receive something for Darko even though it may just be an average pick in a good draft year... we still have some bargaining chips... a few vets that aren't dinosaurs yet... an expiring contract... some potential cap flexibility next summer... two draft picks and possibly a sleeper or two (Samb, Amir, Jmax, Blalock etc).

At this time I'm going to accept the inevitable decline and give Joe enough string to either hang himself or knit another masterpiece.