AI Benched! Rip To Start the Rest of the Season

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Mossberg, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Mossberg

Mossberg Bench Warmer 3x Fantasy Champion

Hamilton bumps Iverson as starter | detnews.com | The Detroit News

2. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

Iverson will be better off with the second unit anyway. He does us absolutely no good starting because he's gotta do it all leaving nothing for the other 4 guys to do. At least with the second unit he can dominate the ball on O.

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

You can change the starting lineup until you are blue in the face. The problem is not who takes the opening tip. It's distributing the minutes. These lineup changes are lipstick on a pig.

It's as silly to attribute more value to the first minute of the 1st and 3rd Qs as it is to blame a loss on the last shot of the game.

4. Mossberg

Mossberg Bench Warmer 3x Fantasy Champion

Exactly what I had been saying since before the decision was made to bench Rip. AI has been playing with second tier players his whole career. He thrives in a lineup like this.

Yep, this is where Curry falls short. His decisions regarding in-game rotations and who he lets finish games are the worst of any coach I've seen in recent years.

5. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Curry said. "We hope that with this change, more guys will play better."

More, better. Hard to argue with.

6. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

This move should have been made a long time ago IMO. I don't think it'll make us that much better (if at all) but I think it's important to develop the chemistry of Stuck-Rip now rather than next year.

7. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

How about a combo move and get Kwame in for Dice. Move Sheed to PF where he wants to play.

8. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I thought the quotes in the papers by Curry were interesting. Sounds like they were taken straight from this forum (months ago):stirthepot:

In all my excitement, i forgot that Dice/Sheed were still starting, that last games crunch time J-Max was a result of Sheed getting ejected, and Amir/AA are still getting to know the bench.

We're still screwed. I'm afraid while this might look slightly better nothing can fix the albatross that is our starting frouncourt.

9. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I'd go for that.

10. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

Lineup change outcome: (hopefully)
    Iverson is a great player but he demands the ball. When he has the ball in his hands our other four players are not moving around (usually standing) making them ineffective thus easy to defend.

Iverson will be a scoring machine off the bench and will provide a balance as far as points in the second unit.

11. max

max All-Star

I hope this helps Stucky. If we can get him going earlier then thats going to be the main thing.

Next step is to end the Walter Herman experiment and give that spot back to AA where it belongs. If they want a 3-pt bomber off the bench then put Sheed there and tell him to bomb away - he should love that. Then start Kwame or Amir instead.

12. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

This is a joke. I literally lost all respect (that I had left) for Curry. I guarantee the players have absolutely NO faith in this coach. It has turned into a circus. Scapegoating AI isn't going to solve anything.

What is this the 4th FINAL lineup change of the season?

13. HelloIDistance

I hope it helps Stuckey too, but does anyone else notice how whenever RIP is in the game they run one of these two plays:

1. Stuckey brings the ball up, stops dribbling 10 feet from the 3 point line and throws the ball 10 feet to RIP who is sitting at the top of the 3 point line calling for the ball.

2. Stuckey brings the ball up stops dribbling 10 feet from the 3 point line, RIP runs by 5 screens, 7 seconds later Stuckey passes to RIP.

If anything I believe Stuckey defers more to RIP when he is in the game.

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

AA is a better 3-point shooter than Herrmann anyway.

15. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I don't think that's what he's doing. Like you said we've had 100 line-up changes. If scapegoating is the case, then i think everyone has gotten a turn.

I guess Curry can say when he goes out it's not for lack of "trying".

And more importantly AA is a batter clutch shooter.

16. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Stuckey has been deferring to everyone and anyone lately. I remember a game recently (I think it was Phoenix) where he kept running pick & rolls with Kwame... I wanted to kick the TV screen in watching that crap!! :gaah::frusty:

17. HelloIDistance

Haha, your dead-on with that statement. I wasn't eluding to Curry scapegoating AI, more of what other posters are saying and the media lately. I hope I'm wrong and we start winning, but I don't think this is going to change much.

18. House Dressing

House Dressing Bench Warmer

Benching A.I. guarantees that he won't be back next season. Rip will be our starting SG next season, so why annoy him by bringing him off the bench any longer. Let A.I. deal with the bench and then enjoy the salary cap help when we show him the door at the end of the year.

19. HelloIDistance

Yeah, I really don't understand it. He had a stretch in there where he was looking great. It just seems like he defers to RIP specifically way to much.

20. max

max All-Star

Yes I think about sums it up - he has been deferring to eveyone. With AI he has been letting him run the show on may plays so perhaps this way
    he can be more effective.

This is one move that I actually agree with. More important who ends the game so we will see on that. I think the main thing is trying to get off to better starts.