A few Wings signings

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Superstarov, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I haven't posted these yet, so I'll throw them up there if you've missed them.

Dan Cleary - 2 years - $1.325mil
    Brett Lebda - 4 years - $2.6mil

Both contracts are cheap, for what they bring to the table.

Lebda has a big upside and played really well for an undrafted rookie. Also, he's from Chicago and playing along side Chelios is like a dream for him. Cheli was one of his favorite players growing up.

Cleary, if you don't know, was origionally a 1st round pick by Chicago I think, but never picked up the coring pace people expected. He came to Wing's training camp last year, and played himself onto the roster with hustle. And became a real important penalty killer.

And not to take the spotlight off of these two signings, because I think they're good moves, for a little $... but the Wings and Belfour are still negotiating.:mad:
  2. Superstarov

So where we stand as of right now:

We have signed 16 players under contract (but that includes Jiri Fischer, who probably won't be cleared to play hockey again):

Lidstrom
    Datsyuk
    Lang
    Scneider
    Zetterberg
    Draper
    Fischer
    Maltby
    Holmstrom
    Samuelsson
    Kronwall
    Lilja
    Osgood
    Chelios
    Cleary
    Lebda

You can see the amount of the salaries here.

Also I read somewhere that Jason Williams was going to file for salary arbitration, but I see no details about it anywhere. I know he is a restricted free agent, but I think I read somewhere that the team is hoping they will resolve it before the hearing. Williams played very well last year as well, but I don't think he should make more than $1.5mil - $2.0 mil.
  3. bezeach

bezeach First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

This is good news to hear, becuase at first I thought Detroit wasn't going to sign hardly anybody through free agency (it seems like every team but the red wings are signing people)

But now about the two guys the red wings signed: Dan Cleary played in 77 games last season for Detroit and had three goals and 15 points.
    Lebda, 24, played in 46 games for the Wings last season. He had three goals and nine assists and had a plus-nine rating.

And an article about the Wings and Belfour negotiations:
    General manager Ken Holland said yesterday that he has made an offer to Belfour’s agent, Ron Salcer, but hasn’t heard back.
    Holland wouldn’t say what the offer is, but it is believed to be a base salary of around $500,000 with additional money attainable through performance bonuses.
    It appears that Belfour, 41, wants more money in incentives than the Wings are willing to set aside.

Overall, Detroit still hasn't settled their number one problem, a goaltender...
  4. Superstarov

I'm pretty sure they're going to try to resign Franzen too. He is a nice role player that brings some badly needed size to the team.
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I like Franzen. I hope they can get his twin brother Hanzen.

Hanz and Franz. We will PUMP YOU UP!
  6. Superstarov

:doh:
    :frusty:
    :brick:
    :laser: :canada:
  7. bezeach

The wings still need to sign these final five: — Jason Williams, Johan Franzen, Jiri Hudler, Tomas Kopecky and Darryl Bootland. Jason Williams is a must-he did good in the playoffs (about the only one) and he is also valuable when it comes to penalty shots because he has a lot of moves.
  8. Superstarov

I really like Hudler.

He's my Darko.

Off the ice problems, streaky production...

Yeah, I like him a lot.

Rumor is he's got a huge offensive upside. His defense is suspect. And he's matured a lot the last few years.

I wish Girgorenko was ready to play.

And I hear Kopecky is a real talent.
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

We will all get old waiting for Grigorenko to play for the big league club.
  10. cwolfson

cwolfson First Round Draft Pick

Superstarov, you seem pretty up on the Wings. If they didn't sign Balfour, and ended up going with Osgood, Liv and/or Howard (doesn't seem likely), what sort of prospects are Liv and Howard? Liv backstopped the Swedish gold medal team, so he must have some talent, as well as some big time experience, plus a connection to the Wings Swedish contingent. Could he be a rookie sleeper for the Wings?
  11. Superstarov

Well... he WAS on the Swedish olympic team... but as far as I know he wasn't in a jersey at game time. He was the 3rd goalie, with 2 NHL goaltenders ahead of him, Henrik Lundqvist (New York Rangers) and Mikael Tellqvist (Toronto). Both of those guys had pretty good seasons, and Tellqvist is part of the reason Belfour is unemployed.

If they weren't to sign Belfour, I would be suprised if they didn't make another move. Regardless of how deep the Wings are in the organization, they seem to have real problems trusting goalies that they've groomed. The last goalie they drafted who played significant minutes for the Wings was Osgood.

We've got 5 goalies in the depth chart that have proven to be or have been rumored to be NHL calibre: Osgood, Howard, MacDonald, Liv, and MacIntyre. I've heard grumblings of the last 4 being ready to contibute, but have also heard the Wings already making excuses as to why none of them will see much ice time this year.

Apparently from what I've read today, Belfour has began looking at other teams now, as negotiations between he and the Wings have stalled.

That means, in my opinion, that the Wings are going to end up trading for a goaltender. While I like the names being bantered about, I'm nervous about what we'd have to give up, as well as the cap (that darn cap).

Evgeni Nabokov - San Jose - 4yrs $21.5mil - 35 Playoff Games
    Vesa Toskala - San Jose - 2yrs $684,000 - 11 Playoff Games
    Martin Biron - Buffalo - 1yr $2.128mil - 0 Playoff Games
    J.S. Giguere - Anaheim - ?yrs $3.99mil - 27 Playoff Games

Personally, I would prefer that they go after Toskala. He played well this past playoffs, and he is affordable.

The Wings did sign Kopecky to a 1yr, $450,000 contract. Now they have Hudler and Bootland left, both of those guys have to make the team or they go to waivers.
  12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

No Belfour? This is a beautiful thing. :nod:
  13. Superstarov

I just saw this:

Don MacLean, who was the MVP of the AHL for the Grand Rapids Griffins (Wings minor league affiliate), just signed a 2 year deal with the Phoenix Coyotes. That strikes me as strange. Strange the Wings wouldn't hold onto him if they could.

He stepped in near the end of the season with the Wings and had 1 goal and 1 assist in 3 games. While he had 56 goals and 32 assists in the AHL last year.

There must be more to the details that I'm not seeing.

I guess he could have been a UFA, and the Wings didn't want to get into a bidding war over a minor leaguer. But that's just speculation.
  14. Superstarov

I'm not getting too excited about this.

Cautiously optimistic.
  15. bezeach

Wings Signings:

Tomas Kopecky signed a one-year contract with the Detroit Red Wings on Monday

The Wings now have two restricted free agents left to sign - Johan Franzen and Jason Williams. Williams has filled for salary arbitration and will have a hearing in Toronto sometime between July 20 and Aug. 4. Both sides can continue to negotiate prior to the hearing.

On Friday, the Wings resigned Jiri Hudler and Darryl Bootland. They also agreed on a deal with former first-round draft pick Krystofer Kolanos, who played for four different organizations last season.
  16. Superstarov

Where'd you get the info? And thanks for posting it.

Williams' hearing is on the 31st of July, I believe.
  17. bezeach

18. bezeach

New News!

Red Wings bring back Hasek for third time!
    Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said the team signed Hasek, a six-time Vezina Trophy winner and two-time Hart Trophy winner, to a one-year contract. He did not make terms of the deal available

link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2535249

Exciting day in Detroit Sports-the tigers trade and now the wings sign hasek!
  19. Superstarov

Nice scoop, I wouldn't have seen it until tommorrow.

I always liked Hasek. He's kind of the anti-Roy.

Let's hope he can stay healthy.
  20. bezeach

Just a couple of updates:

Hasek's role as a Wing:
    Dominik Hasek said his groin feels fine now, and the Red Wings will take every precaution to make sure that it stays that way, including limiting him to around 50 games. The main reason they signed him is to have him available for the playoffs, when they hope to see the same acrobatic wonder who led them to their last Cup.
    -- Detroit Free Press

And another player the Wings are interested in:
    The Red Wings are still interested in Anson Carter, who's dropped his salary demands (he was seeking a three-year deal for $3 million a season). Toronto is also pursuing Carter.

This would be an excellent pick up for the wings. He went to Michigan State and had a pretty good season last year with the canucks (33 goals, 22 assists) He would be a solid contributer.