1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

#8 pick prospects

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by DaviaG-Rap, Jun 1, 2011.

1. DaviaG-Rap

DaviaG-Rap First Round Draft Pick

Looks like we will most likely be choosing from Bismack Biyombo, Marcus Morris, Donatas Matiejunas, Tristan Thompson and Jonas Valanciunas.

Based on what I've read and watched and what we need short and long term I rank them like this:

#1- Biyombo: At #8 you'd like to get a player with a diverse skill set and ability to produce right away. From that standpoint Biyombo is a high risk/reward player. The Pistons need toughness and rebounding...period. No other player can offer the strength, length and athletacism of Biyombo.

#2- Donatas Matiejunas: I just like his size and skill, pretty quick for a 7-footer also. Maybe not the best defender or rebounder but would be a great compliment to Monroe. He can score.

#3- Marcus Morris: Very versatile, and will produce right away. Like Daye and Jerebko can switch between the 3 and the 4 spot. Nice mid-range game. Wish he were a little longer.

#4- Jonas Valanciunas: Not sure why there is so much hype on this guy. He uses his length well to dominate his young competition, but not sure how much skill he really has. He scares me a little, but might be worth taking if he falls. I'm hoping someone reaches for him and allows Vesely to fall to us.

#5- Tristan Thompson: Good length and athletacism. Could be a good compliment to Monroe, but won't be very productive right away.

I'm hoping we can get Vesely, but I'll be happy with Biyombo.

2. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I like going with the high risk/high reward Biyombo. Yesterday DraftExpress had him going at #10 but today they have him going to the Pistons at #8.

3. Brap

Brap Starter

I like the idea of drafting a dominant defender and rebounder to pair with Monroe.

I also like the idea of drafting a potential star if we can select a high risk/high reward player, such as one of the Euro big men.

4. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I heard the Montejunaugegtas guy was projected to put up Bargnani numbers in rebounding so I'm not to keen on him. I think Vesely is another name who could be on our radar if he's still there at 8th.

5. Brap

Brap Starter

I've heard that Venaroifjsaoierfldlllll, the guy who might be a signing problem for another season, is rated the best Euro in the draft. He's my guy all the way. (As far as I know).

6. G-man

G-man Starter

hey ya'll. i'm concerned that jonas will end up being a foul magnet and a foul prone big man is often a expensive towell passer (see Dorko).

Morris has short arms (think tyrannosaurus rex), and will probably get his butt stomped by real bigs with long arms and hops between the blocks.

too me, biyombe looks too risky at the 8 spot for a gm that needs a solid pick in front of a new owner.

i like donatas who gives you the offense of morris but has much better size. i'd like to see us trade down a couple picks then use our third pick #52 to pick up the banging big that probably fouls out in 12 minutes of playing time.

7. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I think Kanter is considered to be the the best euro but he'll surely be gone at 8th. It also seems as they have solved the contract stuff with Valanasegagas club with him costing $3M to buy out if he's drafted 1st and alot less if he's drafted 8th. That's what I read somewhere atleast. I'm swinging back and forth on this guy every day.

8. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I'm going with the list as posted....nice list...:)

9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

10. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I'd draft Kawhi Leonard or Kenneth Faried before either Walker or Jimmer.

Kemba Walker seems like the second coming of Earl Boykins. And I see Jimmer as Kirk Hinrich 2.0 under the best of circumstances.

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Did Henrich lead the NCAA in scoring?

12. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe it's just me, but why is nobody talking about Singleton? It's widely acknowledged that the guy is the best defender in this draft. I know, he's not great in a set offense, but he offers a unique skillset that the Pistons should consider even as a reach.

13. DaviaG-Rap

DaviaG-Rap First Round Draft Pick

Honestly, I think we need to draft the best player regardless of position, however there aren't any guaranteed All-Stars available at #8. Jan Vesely I think might be the most talented player that can slip to us. We need winners and game changers. If Fredette can put up 20+ pts in the NBA efficiently I'd be up for taking him- but what are the odds that happens?

14. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I guess I should've said "I see Jimmer as Kirk Hinrich 2.0 under the best of circumstances once he makes it to the NBA."

Going back 20 years, the following illustrious list of players led NCAA in scoring:

2011 - Jimmer Fredette
    2010 - Aubrey Coleman
    2009 - Stephen Curry
    2008 - Reggie Williams
    2007 - Reggie Williams
    2006 - Adam Morrison
    2005 - Keydren Clark
    2004 - Keydren Clark
    2003 - Ruben Douglas
    2002 - Jason Conley
    2001 - Ronnie McCollum
    2000 - Courtney Alexander
    1999 - Alvin Young
    1998 - Charles Jones
    1997 - Charles Jones
    1996 - Kevin Granger
    1995 - Kurt Thomas
    1994 - Glenn Robinson
    1993 - Greg Guy
    1992 - Brett Roberts

I'm just a casual basketball fan. I look at that list and get the feeling that leading the NCAA in scoring doesn't really correlate to success in the NBA. The same ignorant gut feeling tells me that Jimmer's gonna be a bust. I guess time will tell.

15. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I've already read that Vesely and Montiejunas are not expected to workout for any teams due to their Euro commitments. Could be the case for other Euros.

Makes drafting any of these guys with confidence a near impossibility!

And how bout Rubio? The Wolves have been waiting years on him and look at his stats from last season.
    6.5 points, 3.5 assists and 3.2 rebounds in 20 Euroleague regular season games, starting 17 of them.

16. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

You beat me to that ridiculous list of mostly nobodies.

LOL@ Kurt Thomas btw

I personally think Hinrich as a comparison is fairly generous since I doubt JF will be as solid of a defender of KH.

He won't be guarding cones in the NBA.

But I'm digging it if you basically mean "career NBA guy, nothing extraordinary, just a solid player that might start for a bad team but will likely come off the bench for a good team".

17. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I've seen this kid play; although I always posted that I JoeD to draft him, he isn't what this team needs. He reminds me alot of Jerebko, except that he's more athletic. But the advantage he has in athleticism in Europe will probably be gone in the NBA. Think about guys like Rudy Fernandez, who was Jordanesque over here but is mediocre in the NBA. Tough to say, but Vesely will be ok, but not great.
    That being sad, this team could really try to play the high risk/high reward game. Draft a Euro, also if you don't get a chance to work him out. It's not like there is a risk to pass on players like Carmelo or Wade.

18. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I'm gonna go ahead and get this out of the way and save basketbills the trouble of having to post this:

Whoever can most impressively position their leg the highest on the wall deserves to be selected #8.

...duh.
    Simple stuff here guys.

19. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm okay with this as long as our advanced scouts are there to witness the leg lift in a private session.

20. CarlosGallan

CarlosGallan First Round Draft Pick

I agree, we have jonas jerebko,no more additions of SF/SG in the team. Rudy in europe were a beast at SG,in nba struggled a lot(may be he ends in minessota with his friend and former Joventud player Ricky Rubio,they could play together again and improve his nba performance).
    I prefer to bet one nba style player or the sizedcenter like valanciunas/kanter we lack in detroit(no more undersized players in his position like maxiel/millsap,gordon/bynum).
    We could pick Valanciunas and wait one more year to test him in nba dealing his exit clausule with lietuvos ritas,we will have next year our 2011 8 pick more ready for nba and better 2012 draft election.

What about Norris Cole with 33 pick? It could be good PG for Pistons?I didnĀ“t see him play.