8 Months Later Monroe or Cousins

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Feb 5, 2011.

1. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Moose looks pretty good to me!
  2. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

A very good summation. He is a complement that will learn each year. At the 4-5 position, this will help going forward as the team rebuilds.
  3. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Another solid post from the Forum's thinkers. In the world of high finance, this type of perception is summarized in one page memos beginning the opening day's agenda. This is the type of approach Gores will bring. Let us hope he does not make the usual mistakes even the best and the brightest make: If Only We Knew What We Know (O'Dell & Grayson, ISBN# 0-684-84474-5)

Question: What are the three critical factors in knowledge management?
    Answer: Culture, culture, culture.
    -------------Bob Buckman, president, chairman and CEO of Bulab Holdings, Inc. (as quoted from Chapter 9; O'Dell & Crayson)
  4. Brap

Brap Starter

Here's the reality, and I'm sorry TaShawn, but I just don't agree with you:

I don't have the exact number, but Monroe's PER around November 30 was around 8.5. It's around 16.2 now. I'm not sure the math computes accurately with the method I used, but by my calculations, Monroe's PER just for Dec (when he improved a bit) and then January and February (when he continued his improvement by a factor of a lot) is 18.76. By that, I mean PER average from Dec-Feb, is 18.76.

18.76 makes him EASILY the second best performing rookie this season.

Hollinger's NBA Player Stats - ESPN Insider - National Basketball Association - ESPN

His PER right now has him just ahead of the race for second best performing rookie this season - and way ahead of Cousins.

I also think Monroe is a much better player than his measureable stats shows. He makes winning plays. He's a great rebounder - which was our biggest worry area when he was drafted, and he has blown us away with how strong he is in that area. He is showing outstanding improvement. He has a great attitude. He is a very hard worker and has shown to be extremely coachable. And he's 20 years old, and isn't anywhere near as physically developed as he's going to be over the next few seasons. Hell, his two best skills coming out of college, passing and perimeter scoring are only barely on display so far. Dude's going to be a guy we want to run our offense through.

I think the sky's the limit for him. I think we're looking at one of the top young big men in the game right now. No chance would I pick Cousins ahead of him.
  5. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Even when you cherry pick the other rookies best month for comparison? Otherwise it's like comparing Bynums best game against the other point guards averages.
  6. Brap

Brap Starter

This isn't cherry-picking. Those are just the numbers. None of the rookies anywhere near, let's say, the top 15 of their class started off as poorly as Monroe did this season. For the first month, he was terrible.

The truth is, he's been really strong since January. Very consistently strong for a rookie, with almost no clunker games.
  7. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

What makes this season bearable is the play of Monroe. Theguy is going to be a special player in this league.

Just wait until next year when he has spent a complete off-season on conditioning and getting stronger, wow......Just can't wait.

Cousins/Monroe a no-brainer for me. It is definitely Monroe all the way and will end up being a much better all-around player than Cousins.

Can you imagine having Cousins on this team as it is assembled now and with alll the chaos and instability going on. This would not be a good situation for Cousins.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You probably agree with me more that you realize. I'm just try to keep it real too. I really like Monroe and never concluded that I'd pick Cousins ahead of him. I think Monroe was the logical choice for Joe- and especially when you consider that Cousins was already off the board when we were up.

But it's been so long since we had a rookie who was actually given PT and then started to back it up, that I felt like we were blowing things out of proportion in our giddyness. If you look at what he's actually done this year, it is very good for a rookie and highly promising, but we're still extremely weak at this position. i.e. a good solid rookie center is still behind 20-30 veterans who are doing their thing on a nightly basis. And I'm not blaming our weakness at the 4&5 on him. We have nobody else who is better right now.

I wish we would have done some of this patient development when we actually had a great team. Then we might have succeeded in the retooling.
  9. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Very thoughtful analysis...
  10. Brap

Brap Starter

I appreciate your response TaShawn.

Again, just keeping the numbers in perspective (of course, the perspective I think is proper), if you assume Monroe is a Center - and I do, - the numbers being skewed a bit because when Ben Wallace plays, Monroes rebounding numbers normally go down and I'm not sure about his scoring numbers (especially FG%) because Ben being in there and not being covered, leaves less room for our guys to operate in the interior,

then, Monroe, just looking at Dec-Feb PER would be the 9th ranked center in the league, just ahead of Brook Lopez. Again, I think that's really great for a rookie - especially one playing on a dysfunctional team.
  11. Nemo

Monroe is all that...and

[​IMG]
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm also excited for next year when Jerebko is paired with him.
  13. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Wrong bag. Monroe represents DETROIT!!

[​IMG]
  14. copper

copper Bench Warmer

I gotta be honest, when I first saw Monroe play in the beginning of the year I was thinking" oh lord another william bedford" But he would show glimpses of what he might be able to do with the big body rebounding and his nack for hanging onto the ball in traffic. He also has a very nice touch in and around the hoop and uses the glass very well. He has begun to develope that little hook we were hoping for and he is very good at getting by his man with either a quick step or that "dream" spin. You can just see his confidence growing by bounds every game and each game he shows another step in the right direction. I am completely on board the GM train, and I wouldnt want anyone else at this point. I too am very anxious to see how he and jj look next year. GM at the high post with the offense running through him and jj cutting to the hoop, Daye spotting up for 3. It defenitely has some upside.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We really do need a shot blocker to add to the mix too. Either at PF or C.
  16. Nemo

I went with Frito-Lays cause they were a big employer back in my home town of Allen Park, Michigan. Don't know if the factory is still operating though.

Al Ackerman used to do commercials for Better Made...:(
  17. Brap

Brap Starter

The best defensive team of all time, the Bad Boys, didn't really have a dominant shot blocker. Salley blocked some off the bench. Mostly, we played hard nosed position and help D.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

They essentially had 4 guys who all averaged 1 block per game (Laimbeer, Sally, Mahorn, and Rodman).

Monroe averages 0.5. Jerebko was at 0.4 last year.

We're 23rd in the league right now in blocks and this includes our block leader, Ben Wallace. The 1989 team was 19th (so, yeah, you're right that they weren't dominant in this area).

One interesting thing that I discovered when I was looking this up... that 1989 Pistons team got blocked fewer times than any other team in the league.

I guess it is possible that their "block differential" was one of the best in the league.
  19. Brap

Brap Starter

Bill Laimbeer was an excellent defender because he was super smart, played great positionally and always worked hard.
  20. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Thank you, Brap.

Congrats on your 1,000th post!!!!!

:winner_first_h4h::beer::cheers::thumb: :greenapple: :thumb[1]::good::cheerleader::popcorn:
    :cheerlie-GOAL::p_welldone::pirates::party:
    :djparty::dancingparty::burp::party2::smiley_hug: