8 Months Later Monroe or Cousins

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Feb 5, 2011.

1. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

For the record, I really like Greg Monroe. But Count me IN! Gimme a guy that's willing to fight (both of us are getting tired of Rodney "The Huggernaught") instead of being buddy-buddy with everybody while the team continues to lose. We both know that a guy with a chip on his shoulder and fire in his belly is what we need around here, it's one of the things JJ brought last year that we sorely miss.

2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

You are crazy, he could totally derail the Pistons momentum this season. He also might kill Thanks Dad over some of his late game decisions.

I also like Monroe, but I'll gladly take this guy as well.

3. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Dude, Cousins is a moron. And a malcontent. There's a BIG difference between "passion" and being a "hothead". Dude is a hothead. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if he eats his way out of the league in 5 years (or suspends himself out of the league in 5 years).

I'll take Monroe over this clown any day. In another year or two, you'll be singing the same tune, and wondering... what did I ever see in that clown Cousins?

4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I would agree 100% if he wasn't a 19 (might be 20 now) year old rookie.

Greg 'G-Money' Monroe is A very nice piece, Cousins has the potential to be THEE piece. Greg is a low risk moderate reward player, Cousins is a high risk/ high reward player, it all depends on what you're willing to risk and tolerate.

5. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

Definitely agree.

This increasingly popular notion that he could be out of the league in 5 years is hilarious to me. It seems to lack perspective. You can't really think a talented big man is really at risk of being out of the league because of attitude issues, right? Since when was this a league that wasn't willing to put up with malcontents? He's definitely at risk of never reaching his full potential, but he'll be firmly in the league in 5 years. There is nothing unique about what he's doing other than the media coverage.

There is hope for him yet. Though the Kings may not be the ones to reap the benefits of his talent once he finally starts to "get it". Zach Randolph was once much maligned.

6. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Cousins will never be "the" piece on a championship contending ball club, I'll tell you that much.

Like I said before, Derrick Coleman without the absurd athleticism.

7. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

Wasn't Derrick Coleman a 20/10 big man? May not have been the pillar to an elite team, but from what I can gather he was pretty good. Just didn't seem interested in working hard to be great. Lack of competitiveness doesn't seem to be an issue with Cousins, just misplaced aggression. And complete offensive inefficiency but that's another story.

8. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Yeah. People wanted the Pistons to throw games to get Cousins. It would have been ironic if we got him that way.

I'll take Monroe over Cousins any day. Cousins is going to be trouble and not worth the risk, IMO.

9. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Unfortunately, Cousins was a head case in college and more than likely a head case in high school also. Luckily he was able to leave college after his sophmore year, if not for that, he may not have made it to his senior year in college, Calipari probably would have suspended him for the year.

I can't see how anyone can equate fighting your teamate on the court and airplane as bravado that went array.

I am going with the theory that Cousin will not be in the league very long, his skills will diminish probably due to over eating and laziness, or his attitude and behavior will cause him to be imprisioned (ala Plaxico Burress and others). It's very unfortunate because he is a very talented big man who is immature,and troubled with serious anger issues that probably goes back to some early dysfunction.

The young man needs help, instead most folks keeps sweeping his apparent issues under the rug. I say hook him up with John Lucas who has helped many young men deal with their problems.

But to treat Cousins outburst as just an "oh well", is not good. Ironically, the same people who say the politically correct things, many of them wouldn't want him living next door to them or in their neighborhood, and by all means not dating their daughters or even being friends with their kids.

As long as he keeps that sh.. on the basketball court everything is cool, however, in reality, it is not very cool.

10. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

This is why I've never understood why celebrities actually need to meet their shrinks when all the shrinks need for a diagnose is a few newspapers.

11. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Except JJ doesn't try to swing at his teammates and coaches. There is a line between having passion for the game and being an a-hole.

If this were a good thing, the Kings wouldn't have told him he's not welcome on their road trip.

12. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Aren't you always talking about not going on potential?

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I don't really feel that there is any issue here. First, we would have had to throw games to be able to pick him, which is déclassé, and secondly, even if we did pick him, it's not clear who will turn out to be the better player.

I'm just so happy that we actually drafted a big and he is getting major playing time. My preference would have been for a defensive force, but I like the humble, high IQ player that we went with instead.

Joe D wasn't in a position to take a gamble. He knew there was a pending change in ownership, he knew that his team is no longer a contender and that his latest vision isn't panning out like he hoped... think what another glaring draft mistake would do to him.

14. Darth Tater

:winner_first_h4h::p_welldone: Great post TaShawn.

15. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

I like your approach and you search for aspects that provide accountability and forthrightness to move forward.

The difficulty at age twenty is determining the transition of what color mouse?

The soul was often anciently supposed to pass at death through the mouth of man in some animal form, sometimes a mouse or a rat. A red mouse indicated a pure soul; a black mouse, a polluted soul; a pigeon or dove, a saintly soul. It may be a while for Cousins to collect votes for sainthood. The ying of the latter's yang, would be announced within the territory of slang: standing for black eye and was a common term of endearment, like bird, birdie, duckie and lamb.

Cousins is a lost lamb.

Criticism without a solution? Your solution is spot-on with getting him to Lucas. You understand the weave that makes eventual cloth.

16. Darth Tater

CoyneJeremy always sounds like he has a frog in his throat. What kind of soul is that?

Rascoe and Jammer are soul mates.

Nemo has a filet de sole.

Laimbeer is an az soul

Darth has no soul

17. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Ouch!!! That hurts, Darth. I was just about to wish you Happy Valentines Day.

18. Brap

Brap Starter

There's a big difference between a teammate having your back, and a teammate who punches you in the back.

If you can't stand or respect your teammate, you won't have much of a team.

Malcontents typically don't transform their lives. As time goes by and they get older, all that happens is that time goes by and you get an older malcontent - probably one with fewer friends willing to stand for him and one who gets more and more defensive and dug-in about his life.

This is not going to play out well for the Kings.

19. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

I can't stand by the malcontent comment. It implies that bad kids make bad "grown ups", which would just be short sighted. To paint Demarcus Cousins as irredeemable just seems ridiculous. From everything I've heard about him, he's a good kid with a sense of humor. He just so happens to have some serious lingering attitude issues and a tendency to act out. It likely has roots to his childhood. No father in the household, preyed upon by adults for AAU/HS teams, and very long leash because of his talent. That's not to excuse his behavior, but better understand it. Cousins' behavior is nothing unique and likely isn't anything that can't be fixed. But it's going to take some time, patience, and a strong figure to get to the kid. I'm not sure the Kings' are the right organization to give him that.

The fighting thing is a bad look, but I'm of the belief that it is not at all uncommon in team sports. Most of the stuff like that just doesn't get reported. It becomes a major issue when the team is always fighting and can't seem to settle their beefs.

I can't explain why I want to believe in the kid, but I do. Either way we have Monroe who is proving to be solid.

20. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

If this fight was a one off, I would be able to write it off, but this guy has a track record from his days at Kentucky.... (all 2 of them, but thats another soapbox).

One of the biggest flags going into the draft was attitude and he's done nothing but further those views this year.