7PM Wed Oct 25 Memphis at Detroit

Discussion in 'October 2006' started by max, Oct 23, 2006.

1. max

max All-Star

Last pre-season game. Time was changed for the World Series
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It's on Detroit channel 20 and WDFN 1130AM.
  3. roscoe36

Memphis Commercial Appeal - Memphis' Source for News and Information: Grizzlies

The Grizz have their own undersized PFs....
  4. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i'll be there and give you guys a report, maybe some pics if i can
  5. roscoe36

Re: 7PM Tues Oct 24 Washington At Detroit

Chat is open.

You can find chat by clicking QUICKLINKS on the top menu, and then FLASHCHAT.
  6. roscoe36

Geez folks. Don't get too excited about this one... :rolleyes:
  7. roscoe36

Delfino played 28 minutes and didn't score. Plus, Dahntay Jones kicked his hiney in the second half.
  8. linwood

linwood All-Star

I didn't get to see this one, but I was excited about the Brahma's consistent scoring stat line.

Looking at the scores, it looks like the starters (esp. Tay) took the night off and let the kids play. 4 blocks from Amir could make him a living legend around these parts. I heard from the chat folks (roscoe) that Flip Murray looks pretty good. That's certainly encouraging.
  9. roscoe36

10. linwood

linwood All-Star

I just read the Homer Recap. Keith mentions the fact that the Pistons frontcourt grabbed two rebounds in a combined 59 minutes. Tayshaun says they are used to Ben going after it, so they will have to start working on rebounding.

I know that it's only the preseason, but 2 rebounds in 59 minutes scares the hell out of me.
  11. roscoe36

After 7 or 8 games in the preseason, one week out from the real deal, it's time to practice?

URGH!
  12. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

Yeah, the rebounding is pretty scary. I was worried when I saw the 23-47 differential overall, but 2 for the starting frontcourt in 59 minutes is just pathetic.

On the plus side, Amir Johnson blocked shots at a rate of 21 per 40 minutes.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

How did Nazr not get a single rebound? What kind of way is that to prove to the critics that you can replace Ben Wallace?

Here is the strange part from the box score:

We got outrebounded by 24!!!
    Yet we had 20 more field goal attempts and hit 4 threes to their 0!!!

The difference was that they shot a ton of free throws.

Now I didn't see the game, but if JMAX only gets 1 free throw, then Stern must have been one of the refs.
  14. linwood

linwood All-Star

I guess it doesn't matter as long as you make all your shots. And if you aren't making all your shots, just shoot more. You will eventually get into the groove.

In all seriousness: I'm trying to keep a positive attitude. But c'mon, rebounding is fundamental. These guys gotta get on it.
  15. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Memphis should be in the lotto this year... nice effort and contribution from the bench...NOT...and without their best player.
    Maybe a loss is what's needed to jumpstart some active practices before the season... that's two games in a row that Delfino got his ass handed to him on defense.... not that Dupree did any better the day before.
    Have to say I'm starting to agree with Roscoe about Dice... looking old.
    Well this preseason was about building the bench so some losses should be expected.
  16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Jason Maxiel is making Antonio McDyess look like serious trade bait (but I think he has some sort of no trade thing in his contract). A package of Dyess+Delfino could get us a pretty decent player.
    My 2 cents: ​
    Looking at Nazr play the center position really makes me appreciate how physically gifted Ben Wallace is. Man we took some of the things that Ben did completely for granted, the fact is that is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to measure Ben Wallace's contributions.
    Nuff on 'dat
    Flip Murray is EXACTLY what the doctor ordered. Dude I had almost forgotten what dribble penetration looked like (offensively, at least; Lord knows our perimeter defense sure as heck have no clue how to stop dribble penetration), and in addition to Flip there's Will Blalock, Earl the Squirrel Boykins may have taken it to him the other night, but man Will knows how to run the point, oh baby he's gonna be nice. Our second unit and young players are really FUN to watch and they'll make great debates this season.
    I pray Amir keeps working, the sky is the limit for this kid, he's full of potential.
    But the man of the hour is Jason Maxiel, MAN!!! he's a force. A low post presence that likes to score around the basket....go figure, a power forward that seeks contact and high percentage shots, a rarity in today's NBA.
    Attn: Darko and his LOYAL followers, the Brahma is showing you how you to get PT. MAXIEL is the last Piston we have on this team. The Goin' to Work Crew is Looooooong gone but the Brahma is the last of the Mo'Ricans (see Al Pacino). It's kinda like a horror movie where you think you kill all the creatures and just before the credits roll one pops up so you can make a sequel.
  17. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Delfino gets a pass on this game. Played 46 minutes last night. Have to wonder what the Heck was going through Flip's mind. Almost like he was setting him up for failure.

What worries me are the shots Flip and JMax are taking. It's like Flip is telling everyone, forget about team play, take the shot, shoot, shoot, shoot. Thankfully we still have are core, but the Flip/JMax blackhole is starting to scare me. Don't know the record, but this team could set a record for the fewest assists ever.
  18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

16 mile I couldn't disagree more. What this bench, heck any bench for that matter, is a player or players that will come in and be assertive and begin to make make an immediate impact on the game. For the past few years the only players that have doen that were Lindsey Hunter (and usualy not in a good way). When it comes to your bench you can't have guys that come in and just let the game come to them, you need players that come in ready to fill it up. As a bench player you don't have 30+ mpg to flow and make your impact, you only have about 12-15 mins to get it going, and Maxiel and Flipp are exactly whats needed to come of that bench and get it done.
  19. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I didn't see the game but tuned into the audio just before the half. The stat at the time indicated that even though the Pistons were up 2 at the time they were getting pummuled in the paint 30-18. Looks like we held them to only 10pts the rest of the way as they finished with 40-34 advantage.

The lack of rebounding by the Pistons and the foul descrepancy was the difference in the game, but it sounded like the Pistons just came out flat to be the third and the grizz seldomed missed and if they did, they still got to the free throw line.

They have played 8 games now. Tay and Sheed have to realize that Ben is not there to grab any boards for them and they have to attack the rim in the paint at both ends of the court.

What happen to Delfino? 0-5?? Did he attempt any shots in the paint? Not even a FT attempt. I appreciate getting the ball to the open man, but what happen to driving to the rim for high % shot and at least drawing a foul? In each game he s taking more 3ball attempts that the conventional shot.

CB had no FT attempts either. He is the best FT shooter on the team and will need to post smaller guards up to get to the FT line more often if it means getting free points on the board. DWade, and AI get 8-10 FTA a game, and as in Wade's case it work's well enough in the post season to advance your team along to even getting a ring!!! :(
  20. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

went to the game but got there at halftime. it was really an atrocious effort, and everyone was a step slow. i think a lot of the bench players were tired from the night before and not used to so many minutes or a back-to-back.

maxiell was 7-14 but had some poor shot selection, shooting too early in the clock and not looking around for other players. he did draw 2 charges though. flip did the same with poor shot selection, but did a great job when he drove and got in the paint. i'd gripe more about maxiell's 14 shot attempts, but at least he made half of them, while delfino not only took bad shots but missed all of them.

rebounding is going to be a huge problem this year, especially if our guards can't snag a few (delfino only had 2 in 28 minutes, and nazr had ZERO in 26 minutes). the fact that our leading rebounder was maxiell with 6 is not encouraging. but again it's just a preseason game, our guys were tired, and it's not a huge deal.

amir johnson was the story tonight. his first basket was a beautiful post move where he easily got by his defender. his second basket was an INSANE alley oop from lindsey. i have NO clue how he got it because lindsey threw that ball really, really high into the air, yet amir came down with it like it was nothing. in 7 minutes he had FOUR blocks and honestly looked like ben wallace on each of them. he has a chance to be a special, special player. in the preseason he is 18/22 from the floor (82%) and 10/13 from the free throw line (77%).

hopefully the highlights recap from NBA.com won't give a 404 error sometime in the near future so you can all see the alley oop dunk, it was nuts.