7:30 pm Oct 16m, Utah at Detroit

Discussion in 'October 2006' started by betoguakil, Oct 14, 2006.

1. betoguakil

betoguakil Second Round Draft Pick

4th preseason game, they will win!
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

FSN Detroit

1130 WDFN AM

7:30 PM

Chat opens at 7:00
  3. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

first game of the year i'll be at!!

gonna buy a jersey tonight...deciding whether to get maxiell even though he might not see playing time this year. i don't wanna wear my ben jersey lol.
  4. final.wrath

final.wrath Banned - Sent to NBDL

yeah get maxiel.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Make sure you get the custom jersey with "Brahma" on the back.
  6. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Tashawn...I was about to say the same thing!:pound:
  7. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Does anyone know if this game is on NBATV or NBA League Pass? I just ordered League Pass just in case, although I understand they have a kind of random hit-or-miss scheduling of Preseason Games. I hope so. I'll listen on radio if not, but I hate missing any Pistons game so much.
  8. roscoe36

I don't get this game either, and after a gruelling Monday, might just pass on listening to the radio. :sleep:
  9. roscoe36

Detroit Free Press: Pistons

Matchup: Pistons (2-1 in exhibitions) vs. Utah Jazz (1-1).

Injuries: Detroit -- none. Utah -- C Andrei Kirilenko (back) doubtful, SG Derek Fisher (pelvis) doubtful.

Overview: The Pistons are 2-1 in three preseason games and have looked crisp and intriguing as they focus on working with their bench, blending in C Nazr Mohammed and adding more zone defense. Their 101-89 loss came Saturday, when five Pistons hit double figures against Memphis, which played without star Pau Gasol, on the second game of a road back-to-back. A 22-6 Grizzlies run in the fourth ensured the Memphis win. The starters have played in the low 20s each night, as coach Flip Saunders has committed the exhibition month to prepping players like F Carlos Delfino, G Flip Murray and PF Jason Maxiell for bigger roles this season. Expect the same tonight. Kirilenko did not dress for the Jazz's win over Indiana on Saturday, and Fisher bruised his pelvis when he took a hard fall in the opening quarter. Both are likely out tonight. The Jazz has 10 rookies or second-year players on their training camp roster.
  10. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Some more game day stuff:

Game Preview:
    The skinny:
    Utah somehow managed to sweep the Pistons last season, so there might be a smidgen more motivation than the usual preseason game to produce a win. Second-year point guard Deron Williams is off to a smoking start for Utah, averaging 20 points a game through Utah’s first two preseason contests while shooting 68 percent. On the other end of the spectrum, ex-Piston Mehmet Okur is 2 for 12. Don’t look for Jazz star Andrei Kirilenko, nursing a minor injury, to play in this one.
    What to watch: With the roster virtually set and the rotation almost as certain, the biggest intrigue left for the final five preseason games will be how seriously Jason Maxiell challenges for playing time. Through three games, he leads the team in scoring (14.3) and blocked shots. Two other things that bear watching in the preseason home opener: How Flip Murray runs the point and if Carlos Delfino can continue filling up the stat sheet in his first bona fide opportunity to be a rotation fixture

Probable starters
  11. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

The radio broadcast is online, via NBA.com, for anyone who wants to listen in.
  12. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Tayshaun still didn't have a good shooting game. Delfino's jumper is still very off. Chauncey had 5 assists in the first quarter which is good. The Pistons did bad on the boards, but hopefully that's because Nazr didn't do well because of Ramadhan. Sheed stayed in the paint on both sides of the court. J Max was a big force again as well. Pistons won 90 to 85. Will Blalock did a good job keeping the Pistons on top. He subbed in the 4th quarter when the Pistons were only up by 2, but he stuck with his man and scored some points too.
  13. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Game Summary:

Brahma Stampeed.
  14. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

wasn't this game on TV? no one saw it? well i was at the game so i'll give a report. first of all the game lasted way too long and i was dozing off...WAY too many stoppages of play and fouls called. i don't remember seeing too much zone, and there was plenty of sloppy play to go with good play. the pistons definitely gave a conscious effort of playing inside the 3-point line, and only had 6 3-point attempts not counting delfino's 5. i guess i'll just give a rundown of everyone:

Tayshaun Prince - completely took the night off heh. lazy effort,

Rasheed Wallace, Richard Hamilton, Chauncey Billups, Antonio McDyess, Lindsey Hunter - worked on getting everyone else involved. chauncey worked on getting to the line

Nazr Mohammed - took advantages of opportunities and played very well offensively, but had trouble pulling down some boards and had 2-3 early turnovers before settling down.

Ronald Murray - didn't take as many random shots as we saw in the 1st preseason game. has a nice crossover move and worked on getting quality shots off and driving the lane. nice to see a player with this ability and using it. as long as he concentrates on this, he'll be more helpful than hurtful. ran the mid-court trap well with lindsey and maxiell. started off the game very well with a driving layup and a steal that he returned for another.

Rick Rickert - you said you weren't looking at euro leagues and such, but might wanna start...
    Will Blalock - ran the offense pretty well to close out the game and get the win. made a couple nice shots that were unexpected (a runner and mid-range jumper). can definitely see lindsey hunter in him defensively - quick feet, quick hands, stays on his man, and is rather pesky. with experience he'll improve.

Carlos Delfino - not his best night. perhaps it was hard to look for his defense when everyone cringed every time he jacked up a shot. i think he figured that if he kept shooting, the ball would have to go in sometime. he played GREAT in transition and that's where he got his 3 baskets - he shines when he's driving and making moves. not like his other 8 shots, which were spot-up jumpers, and it is VERY obvious that this is not his game. if he can't fix it within the next couple of games he should think about not doing that at all.

Jason Maxiell - i'm not going to give him extra praise because he's a favorite of mine or because i have an agenda...i'm going to give him extra praise because he's earning it. the team had a LOT of trouble grabbing and holding onto rebounds (or just getting them in general), but maxiell really stepped up and grabbed a few away from utah's taller players and just sucked them in. there were times that he couldn't keep his hands on it, or was out of position, but the whole team was having this problem as well.

he was like a wrecking ball tonight - either you fouled him or he scored on you. the part you like the most, is that he goes for those monster jams, and goes all out EVERY time. he just plays hard non-stop. he had 2 put backs in the span of a minute or so, and the second one was simply phenomenal - he rose up, grabbed the ball above the rim, and then jammed it so fast in the net that it looked like fast forward.

he also had 3 nice blocks, including a ben wallace-type late in the 4th quarter. he leaped way into the air and swatted the ball back to midcourt. plus he did a great job of fronting his man in the post on defense and getting in position.

free throws were hit or miss...6 for 12. he's either on...or off. he's basically forcing flip to give him minutes because his presence can't be denied. he was the first big off the bench instead of dyess tonight, and he played extended minutes (the most of any player besides flip).
  15. final.wrath

how was his FT shooting?
  16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Gotta chance to see a good portion of the game tonight. A few points
    1) Don't miss Ben (yet). We were not going to win another ring with Ben, I'm not saying that losing Ben will help, but that team was no longer good enough to win a ring, and honestly don't know if this one is, alot of that rides on Tayshaun taking the next step.

2) Nice to Sheed in the dang paint.

3) J-Max, man I'm pulling for this guy. He can easily give us what Corliss used to give us, that we really missed when he left. Say what you will, but we'renot/are not a very physical team; Ben and Rasheed weren't/aren't soft but they aren't bangers either. J-Max seeks out contact and tries to buly people, ya' gotta' love that.

4) I really like Will Blaylock, I believe he's a perfect fit for what we need. I don't think that he needs to go to the NBDL right away, I think he can be one of the best backup pg's in the league (after barbosa and devin harris) sooner than we think. As a former PG, I'm telling you he really knows this position, PG's are born not made and he was born to run the Point, I really like the kid.

5) Would have liked to see more from Delfino, not a good game, but not a poor game. Wouldn't be surprised to see him traded, not saying he's going anywhere, just that if he did......it wouldn't be a surprise. I can't put my finger on it but he just seems to be distant and disconnected from the rest of the team, but it could very well be my imagination.
  17. final.wrath

um. the pistons could easily be in the running for a ship with the team we have now.
  18. himat

himat Bench Warmer

He said win a ring. This team will contend, but if they want to win it all every Pistons needs to play there best in the playoffs not before it.
  19. crastinator

crastinator First Round Draft Pick

Great report Warthog.

I can't get enough of the Brahma. I'll be very disappointed if this doesn't translate into at least a few regular season minutes. He is so much fun to watch.
  20. roscoe36

Nice recap Warthog.

You are back on my xmas card list. ;) :D