5 Things you liked in Preseason opener

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by himat, Oct 12, 2005.

1. himat

himat Bench Warmer

• Rasheed Wallace: 15 points, 8 boards, and 3 assists in only 24 min.
    • Darko's clutch 16 footer when the Bulls started to comeback with about 2.5 minutes to, and cut a 12 point lead to a 6 point lead
    • 27 assists, 25 assists is very good for a team in the NBA, but we did it with a new offense and in our first game.
    • Ben Wallace still used on offense, This is what I worried about (Flip might not use Ben and it would be 4 on 5 again) i'm glad I was wrong Ben poured down 10 on 5-10 shooting in only 19 min.
    • Darko, Delfino, and Arroyo played their game. They didn't do really great, but they played pretty good, and we didn't have many problems defensively. I expect them to start clicking later It's only the first game. McDyess didn't play that well, but we all know he's going to give us much better performances soon. Our bench looks really deep already, and we didn't even use maxiell, Acker, Amir, or Lindsay.

2. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Ahhhhhhh Finally

Things to be encouraged by :nod:

-A fully functional UKW now able to make a concrete/measureable contribution.
    -A faster more mobile Carlos Delfino.
    -A Coach who is respectful enough to first present only his guys having NBA experience.
    -A conscience thrust to push the ball up court.
    -Mo Evans looking like a combination of Darvin Ham and Jon Barry.

Things to be concerned about

-WTF happened to the mask ????? Risky, Risky, Risky. RIIIIIIPPPPPP
    - Too many possessions hinging on what Arroyo does with the ball after holding it too long.
    -All of that movement, and the ball still finds Ben in the post, going 1on1.
    -Mo Evans eagerness to become offensive centerpiece ahead of McDyess.
  3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Dyess

I thought McDyess looked okay last night. Not all his shots were falling, but he loooked to be in good shape and he seemed to be having fun running with the young guys.
  4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

What I liked

(1) DMC looking ready to contribute.

(2) Mo Evans being big enough to play the 3.

(3)Chauncey still being the Conductor of the band and not the soloist.

(4) Sheed really is in shape and very active.

(5) Delfino playing like he's got something to prove.

What I didn't like
    (1) Not enough pts in the paint in the half court.
    (2)Arroyo over dribbling
    (3)All of Chicago's offensive rebounds
    -Chandler always gives us fits on the boards, but LB stressed to Rip and Chauncey that they had to help the front court rebound, and Tay was invisible.
    (4) Tayshaun, Tayshuan......get aggresive
    -Say what you will about LB he knew you had to really ride Tayshaun to get SOMETHING out of him, he just doesn't seem to do it naturally, he's going to need a push to keep from going back into that shell.
    (5) No rooks, dammit.
  5. crastinator

crastinator First Round Draft Pick

• Sheed's Cha Cha Slide during a time out :laugh:
    • team's chemistry - - more than expected for preseason
    • Mo Evans' hustling, showing some Pistons DNA
    • Delfino's passing
    • Darko's effort and conditioning
    didn't like: as lemonpen mentioned no mask on Rip; put the friggin mask back on, Rip!
  6. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

1. darko's game
    showing why he's called the serbian swat machine. he hit an outside shot. he even played in the post after giving the go ahead to play more of a outside game. he threw some great passes too.

2. delfino's game.
    delfino solidified his position on the roster. this guy can flat out play and he's only going to get better. once he gets his outside shot going there will be no stopping his drives. he's a great passer too.

3. mo evans.
    looked great. real athletic and might be a free agent steal.

4. bench unit
    maintained the lead and even extended it. then held off a run in the 4th. starters will be well rested this year in the playoffs.

5. we won.
    nothing like getting a w under your belt to start the season off.
  7. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

1. DMC, been saying for two years he'll be a dominant shot blocker

2. Delfino playing hard

3. Ben looking like the old Ben, 11 points, 7 boards, and 3 steals in 19 minutes

4. Sheed looking like the old Sheed, 15 points, eight boards in 24 minutes

5. Coach giving everyone a chance, and the best players will play. It looks like the players will have to earn their PT, no one's being given minutes because they're a coaches player or not being given minutes because the coach doesnt like em.
  8. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

5 things I liked

I really was pleased with a lot of things but the top five are:

+ This is the first time I have seen Delfino for more than a couple of minutes and I think he is going to be much more than adequate. He will fill the bill.

+ Although Arroyo dribbled in too deep a couple of times, I think that when he had the ball deep in the possession, he hit a good shot. He handles the ball well and I think he will be good soon.

+ WallaceX2 seemed to be in really good condition and attitude. They just seemed to pick up where the left off, only moreso.

+ Evans seems to fit right into the Piston mold. He and Delfino will be very capable of filling in for the 2 and 3 spots.

+ I really liked the second unit type rotation. It is good that Darko came in with the starters and had a block and a board in less than a minute. Then the second unit more than held their own. Finally, the second unit withstood the late charge with Darko dropping a clincher to stop that run.

It probably surprises quite a few who know my posts that I did not designate Darko's performance in my five things I liked. The reason I did not that I totally expect him to do better than that and was expecting at least what he did last evening. The four blocks were good but the under 50% shooting both from the line and the field were below what I expected.

The second unit WILL provide rest and recuperation for the starters this year and we WILL bring in a super season. We are at the point where if someone is having a bad night, either from injury or just an off night, we will have someone to put in and expect them to do well. That is a very big ++++.:laugh:
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Desert Island game

Didn't see the game, but based on reports...

1) Darko will actually be useful
    2) The rookies are a unit and there is no misconception on where they stand in the pecking order
    3) The starters are so well established that everyone else knows that they need to develop a role.
    4) The assist distribution was great
    5) The players are having fun, which will inspire them to win more regular season games against the mediocre/ bad teams.
  10. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

%5 Things I liked

Awesome athleticism of Mo Evans (if he had connected on that missed dunk, wow.

Mo Evans possibly being the consistent perimeter shot maker that we were missing last year.

Darko's progress and looking more comfortable as well as his ability to alter and block shots.

Delfino's no look pass to Rasheed on a fast break.

The second unit getting out and not relinquishing the lead while the starters were resting.

Rasheed's focus, excitement and conditioning,

Ben Wallace draining outside jumpers
  11. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Well Armygirl went over 5 and used up 2 extra so I'll just post three to even things out.

1) Hooper getting knocked over by Ben in the introductions.

2) Darko's comfort level.

3) Delfino looking solid....(nice knowing you SuperDup).
  12. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Yeah you're right. According to the boxscore he had the most assists. He played well defensively too.
  13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I totally forgot about Chauncey. I was very happy that he wasn't a ballhog. also one of the things you didn't like (No rookies playing) could actually be twisted into a good thing maybe. Our bench looked very good, and deep even without 3 of our rookies playing...:thumb:
  14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Himat,
    Naw we don't need the rooks, i just wanted a little look-see. I was begging to see Sweetney vs J-Max, I mean begging. I also wanted to see Darko vs Tyson in the 2nd half as just a gauging tool.
  15. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Hey maybe we can see some Bogut vs Maxiell tomorrow. I actually heard that Maxiell gave the guy problems in college.
  16. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

boxscore

can someone hook me up with the boxscore from yesterdays game please? its not on nba.com or epsn
  17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Check the game thread in the Events forum. Second post.
  18. himat

himat Bench Warmer

It actually is on nba.com, go to the pistons website, and on the left side it will show recap and boxscore

PS: you'll like the number of assists.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Could it be that his gigantic new contract has not been finalized? Maybe Tay doesn't want to mix it up until he's locked in. Good move.