1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

2nd Round Game 5 - Chicago May 15th, 8:00 PM

Discussion in '2007 Playoffs' started by Dlev59, May 13, 2007.

1. linwood

linwood All-Star

Really man? You think this came down to the refs? What about all the bad shots the Pistons took? What about the terrible defensive rotations as the Pistons bad version of the zone chased the ball around the court? Bad calls or no, the Stones are a veteran team and should be able to play through that.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

You can't play through losing Billups as you make your move to grind it out, and then sub in Hunter for offense who then proceeds to get his 3rd foul in a total of 7 minutes.

D4E pointed out the FT discrepancy, and there was an advantage to the Pistons with fouls earned, but if you look at when the fouls were called, and on whom, we got absolutely slammed at one position out of 5.

Just so happens it is the most important position on our team.

Conspiracy or incompetence, there are no coincidences.

3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If this goes seven, the younger legs may win out and we know who has those. Whoever comes out smokin and gets a lead of more than 10 in the first half will win. The Pistons cannot afford to fall behind by double digits at anytime during game six.

The Pistons have fought the refs in all five games, but the last two have really been crucial with Billups forced to sit out major minutes when the game was on the line. Still the 60-70% shooting can't happen 3 games in a row. They would have shot 50% even if we had played some D.
    Hold them to 45% in the game six and under 90pts and we win!!

A shame that both the Wings and Tigers can get road wins tonight vs two real good teams and the Pistons couldn't get the job done at home. All 3 teams will be on the road Thursday..lets hope they go 3-0 with of course a Pistons close out victory!!

4. roscoe36

My Holy Flip avatar has been a jinx.

Time to change up.

5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Please note, the negative comments directed toward fans are directed at detnews.com, where I copied this from. I think the fans on this board did a pretty good job of writing up the game, pretty much getting what is going on.

Next one is in Chicago. Don't expect the Pistons to win that one, because Flip Saunders will not adjust. Maybe in game 7, he might do something to save the day. Lets hope, because the guys he is choosing to play are the wrong ones.

Interesting. I read two boards worth of comments just now. This one missed the game apparently. Nobody is mentioning on this board (detnews.com)how badly we did whenever Billups sat due to foul trouble. If we lose this series, Flip and Dumars need to simply resign. The only way Dumars stays is if the owner, Bill Davidson, admits he tied Dumars hands by being cheap, and opens up the purse strings for next year. Otherwise, Dumars, while having all these great plans for the future, has failed to prepare for right now, and again, should resign.

Ok, maybe all that sounds kind of harsh. Maybe we will manage to win the series yet. I will certainly be rooting like crazy the next game hoping for a Pistons victory. But with a fan base that accepts mediocraty, it really does not help much. The fans have basically let Dumars and Flip do what they will, cheering them on mightily, even though we have no bench. They cheered on the hype. Hey, we have no bench. Any fan who really cares should start hollering about it.

Sheed did hold up some on the 3's tonight. Good. But he did not get inside much either. Webber managed a couple of dunks, a couple of free throws, but in all, he hurt us bad. Not near enough points to make up for his lack of presence in the middle. Just can't get over to help out. And Dyess, not helpful at all in this series so far. He comes in and does what, puts up more outside shots, making it all worse. We need post players coming in, not jump shooters. And again, Dyess can't get over either. Worse still, Flip Saunders actually kept going to this combo, apparently unaware, even much of a season worth of proof, that the combo will not work on defense.

Prince did ok, but with too little help behind him, Deng was killing him. Worse, they bring in Delfino to back up Tay, out of position at small forward. This will not work. Delfino needs to play guard in this series, and of course will need help guarding his guy-but so what. Zones are designed for that. People can get help last I checked. I though it was comical of Flip Murray by the way to take out Flip Murray, and Delfino at the same time. He just does not understand that Flip Murray can't play basketball. Flip Murray fans, hey, I am sorry, but the guy just is lost on his defensive assignments, and does not know how to play with the team on offense. He did do a couple of things right, in many, many minutes of play. Getting inside and dishing a few times hardly makes up for all the times he did nothing with the ball. But again, the fans here apparently like to cheer, and ignore the many times down Flip Murray does nothing as a point. Cheer on if you wish, it won't help make him a point guard.

Hunter came on for a couple of minutes at the end of the first half and gave us some good D. But that is about the extent of what Hunter can give us these days. A couple of good minutes. Beyond that, he hurts us. Too slow. Too old. And did I mention, he is the NBA's all time worst shooter in the playoffs. And is apparently bent on cementing his record real good this season.

Tay, Billups, and Rip all did well enough on offense. On defense, hey, they were not that great-but a lot of that is who is playing behind you. Our best stretch of the game was early 2nd quarter, where we got back into the game. Who was playing the net? Sheed and JMAX. Two good defenders who make each other better. Dale Davis absolutely should be joining these two in the rotation to give us better defense. Dyess and Webber can sit out until next series. By the way. Amir Johnson also would work great in this series. Someone asked how long it would take to incorporate the new players. I say no time at all. Amir is quick, tall, and has very good basketball IQ. Good players I am not worried about. Its guys like Flip, who wil never learn the game, and Hunter, who is too old and slow to play the game anymore, that I am worried about. With those two the rotation, we will never be any good. Play Amir. Move Delfino to the backcourt. Or lose the series.

In other words, Flip has to adjust. Will he is the question.

I watched some of the Wings game tonight. I got to say, that was one exciting game to watch. Wish I had time to watch more. But no, I will stick to basketball. GO PISTONS!!!!! WIN!!!!!

6. detteam

detteam All-Star

That was a GREAT avatar. I will miss it. :pound:

7. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Can someone please tell the team that you don't get to go to the next round unless you win 4 games before the other team? :rolleyes:

8. roscoe36

Post game press interviews (MP3 audio) can be found here.

9. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    These last two games were really upsetting. The first loss was written off as "Chicago gotta have a win in a series" and "Detroit will take care of business at home". I don't think we can write this loss at all. Are the Pistons not putting in the effort or Chicago is not as bad as we all thought and the tide has turned? With this Pistons team we'll never know. Who's to say that it wasn't all they could give? Maybe not. I don't want to talk gloom and doom, but there has to be doubt. This is not the first time that this is happening to this team. I love them and a 100% behind the team hoping for a win in every game. But this is just not looking good.

10. Play On Players

Play On Players First Round Draft Pick

This game was just absolutely crazy. I don't think there is a better word in the English dictionary to describe it. I now know how the Chicago fans felt during and after Games 1 and 2. Not a good feeling...But I suppose we should take the "No use crying over spilled milk" motto and suck it up, huh? Game 6, which seemed so improbable to everyone a week ago is now huge. The only comfort I can take going into Thursday is that the Pistons seem to play well when their backs are against the wall. Here's to once again playing with passion, focus, fire, and intensity! CHEERS!:cheers:

P.S. I don't know if you all have heard this song yet, but if you haven't (or even if you have and would like to hear it again) here's the link:

http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/23302/1h/cchannel.download.akamai.com/23302/nwblonde.wmv

Let's keep the DEEE-TROOOIIIT! BAAA-SKET-BAAALL! spirit alive people!

11. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    They play well with their backs against the wall when there's gas left in tank. Is there any left? I sure hope they have enough to turn the tide. Otherwise this is going to be the most disappointing year I can remember.

12. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i do think the refs made it harder to win this game, but their calls (esp. the ones against chauncey in the third) didn't make it impossible.

our players were still making decisions, on every play both offensively and defensively, and many of them were bad decisions.

the bulls heating up (as compared to the first two games and the second half of the third) should make the games close, but it shouldn't lead to a chicago blow-out.

what drove me crazy last night, more than anything, was our utter paralysis on offense: nobody was moving, play after play: rip one on one while the other four guys stand still ont he other side of the floor, sheed one on one on the block while the other four guys stand still on the other side of the floor, tay one on one on the lbock while the other four guys stand still on the other side of the floor, chauncey one on one from the toop of the key while the two guys stand still on either side of him. NO MOVEMENT WITHOUT THE BALL AND NO MOVEMENT OF THE BALL. chicago's a good defensive team, but we made it easy too easy for them.

this was key, for example, when we had the score at 68-62 with the ball: rip took a bad shot (i don't remember where the other four guys were, but probably they were standing still on the other side of hte floor), chi rebounded and scored, then, yes, cb got his fourth foul and it was the beginning of the end. but even then, down 8 or 10, without cb, they still could have played like the veteran team they are and remembered to run an offense.

and this adjustment -- to actually put some effort in on offense -- is on theh players on the floor. they'll do it on thursday and we'll win, or they won't and we'll lose (a close one if chicago shoots normally, a blow out if they shoot like they did on tuesday).

13. roscoe36

Warthog, if you read this, I'm wondering if those were Booos I heard at the end of the game.

How was the Palace atmosphere in the 4th Q?

14. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

don't want to say nothing but oh no. are we in trouble ?

15. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i'd say both are true. after all, chicago just missed being the two seed in the east as a result of their play over 82 games. that's not a fluke. and miami may be weak, but they still swept themm with ease. they are young and quick, have some good shooters, and play pretty well within their limitations for the most part.

at the same time, the pistons clearly have not put in the effort (at least, in my view, not the mental effort) in the past two games except for brief periods and have not played to their strengths.

the heartbreaking thing for me is that their 7-0 run to start the playoffs made me kind of forget how the typical pistons playoff run goes. i don't remmeber my prediction now in theh playoff bracket, but i'd probably have said, before the playoffs, that we'd be 3-2 against chicago at this point and i'd have been fine with it. but i'm not fine with it now and it's cause those jerks got my hopes up that they were gonna make the playoffs easy on me this year. so much for that.

16. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

well, yesterday just plain sucked. i got a flat tire and had to switch cars. on the way to the palace, on i-75 it was such a downpour of hail and rain drops the size of spit, that i couldn't see 5 feet in front of me driving...FROM RAIN. then when i got home our cable was out so i couldn't watch tv or go on the internet. the weather was bad enough during stretches that even with an 8 PM start people were still late getting there.

from the beginning the atmosphere was not as electric as games 1 and 2. everyone figured close-out game, we got this. the bulls making their first basket was bad. yeah there were some BS calls in the 3rd, and if chauncey stayed in the game i believe we would've pulled it out, but really we lost the game in the 1st quarter. we let the bulls shoot whatever they wanted, drive the lane with no help, didn't give hard fouls, didn't even contest shots. as soon as the bulls get confident, you have a problem, and well, we gave ourselves a big problem.

the fans and pistons got ultra-frustrated in the 3rd, because the pistons kept driving to the lane with 0 calls, while the pistons got called for ticky-tack crap on the other end. i still can't believe they called chauncey for the offensive foul, as hinrich clearly flopped (and did a couple other times during the game), but chauncey also tries too hard to draw those fouls sometimes. now that's 2 straight games that our comeback was stopped by a billups charge.

there were a few times that the crowd was trying to get into the game, but then the bulls would hit another shot and we'd all say 'STOP MAKING THEM!!' and get quiet again. but honestly, pistons fans are smart, and we get quiet when we get p1ssed off. when do we get upset? when the pistons don't play defense and give up easy baskets. other arenas might get quiet for other reasons, but the pistons crowd stops caring when it's clear the pistons aren't putting the required effort out there.

the pistons figured, hey it's game 5, the bulls can't handle the pressure, they'll buckle early and we'll take the game running away. even after the game 4 loss, and being down by 19 in the 3rd, they STILL took this game for granted, and admitted to not making any adjustements! if you look at the 20 quarters of basketball played, yeah we're up 3-2 in the series but it's basically been 10 to 10, which is what scares me more than anything, especially since they have the momentum.

webber actually wasn't terrible, but he's being underutilized. like tayshaun. tay was 4/4 in the 3rd quarter, and then chauncey got out and tay never got the ball again. annoying.

at this point i'd seriously start maxiell over webber, have dale davis be the first sub (and early) so he can regulate, and then play amir johnson over dice the rest of the way. dale should be playing in this series, and doing what he did to orlando - REGULATING. maxiell is outplaying the bulls' big men, and dice/webber are so mentally screwed that we might as well put amir johnson in there, who you know is going to fight for rebounds and play hard. heck you could even put him in at the 3. either way, flip murray and lindsey hunter should not see another MINUTE the rest of the series. let AJ backup tay, and delfino backup rip/chauncey. and the point about not having a deep bench being our problem? that's horse poop. if our STARTERS were doing their job this wouldn't be a problem!!!!

at 6 minutes left in the 4th, just about everyone left. there were a scattering of boos at that point, and a lot more at the end of the game, although the arena was so quiet at that point, it could've been one fan doing it and you would have heard them. so roscoe, to answer your question, the atmosphere was of anger in the 3rd, and of apathy in the 4th. i sat back and relaxed and played my Nintendo DS for the final 6 minutes (and of course my friends' DS battery died so we couldn't multiplayer), and even that was frustrating as i kept falling into this stupid lava and missing easy platform jumps.

we even got to witness a near fight 5 feet away from us. these two obnoxious kids were standing up and cheering during the 3rd quarter, trying to encourage everyone else to do the same, but 1 - palace fans don't stand up unless it's the last minute of a game, and 2 - we were down 22 points and no one's gonna stand up for that. so people in back were yelling 'DOWN IN FRONT!', but they kept standing (and one i don't think understood english anyway). so ushers and security got involved, and this kid is yelling at one of the security guys saying he's not doing anything wrong by standing. then this old guy who thought he was cool decided to get involved, even though he was one section over and 2 rows in front of this kid and completely unaffected by the whole situation. he got in the kid's face and was yelling at him, telling him he shouldn't be blocking people's view, etc., and they nearly came to blows. this went on for about 10 minutes and was about the most entertaining part of the whole day.

ugh. i'm taping thursday's game and not even watching if they lose.

oh and one other thing - pistons assistant coach kevin wilson came on the radio after the game and basically placed a bunch of blame on the palace crowd for being too quiet, and that it was 'quieter than orlando and chicago by far', and he doesn't understand it. well guess what - GIVE US SOMETHING TO CHEER ABOUT!! like i said earlier, if we're not playing defense the fans know it and they stop cheering. we're not the ones on the court sucking.

17. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

How fragile are the Pistons after this beat down? Game 6 will show whether they have the heart of a champion. The turn off/turn on mentality of this team is unfrigginbelievable. Does a coach have to tell savvy vets how to defend and stay in front of their man? They should be ashamed allowing 70% from the floor.

Not bailing on them, just frustrated with the unacceptable play.

18. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

This pistons team is capable of some historic %%%% ups. I mean for all the experience, talent, athleticism, we seem to pull out some incredible lameness.

19. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Warthog...great stuff. Always enjoy your Palace recaps. What you said about Maxiell playing makes a lot of sense. I hope Flip can see he needs to adjust to this situation...I just jumped over to his side of the fence and I'm ready to climb back to the other side.

20. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

LMAO! me too!!!:pound: