2nd Round Game 3 - At Chicago May 10 9PM

Discussion in '2007 Playoffs' started by max, May 6, 2007.

1. max

max All-Star

2nd Round Game 3 - At Chicago May 10 9PM

tv: ESPN

Series moves to Chicago.
  2. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Positives coming into this game ( for Detroit):

1) Rasheed should definitely be motivated to put a hurting on the Bulls after being limited to 18 minutes because of foul trouble in game 2.

2) I have a feeling Skiles and the Bulls tried to spring their biggest adjustments on the Pistons in game 2 in an effort to get the split in Detroit. Now the Pistons have 3 days to deal with what they saw and be better prepared for it.

3) The Bulls did some pretty good things in game 2 offensively and defensively, yet they still lost by 20 points. If you were to tell me that the Pistons turned the ball over 9 more times than Chicago, made 21 less free throws, and Rasheed would foul out in 18 minutes while Webber, Mcdyess and Maxiell would have 5 a piece in 26, 25, and 15 minutes of play....
    I'd ask you how much the Pistons lost by.

Yet they win by 20? That kind of dominance is only obtained when you are simply dealing with a far better team.

If the Pistons come out with the same intensity and focus for game 3 that they displayed in games 1 & 2, which I have no reason to believe they won't, the final pages of this game thread should be discussing a Piston team that has a 3-0 series lead.
  3. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Reading the Bulls blog comments it seems like the fans have already given up on the series.

(blogabull.com)

So this game 3 is like the often mentioned by Doug Collins game 3 against the Cavs last year. I would guess that a lot of us aren't completely comfortable with the Piston's dominance....Game 3 is the decisive game.
  4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Game 3 is the game where teams who are blown out in the first two come out to play for pride. It's their best shot at winning a game and at least making it appear they are back in the series. Expect the Bulls best effort in this one. IF we bring ours they don't stand a chance. Based on what I've seen so far, the Pistons get the benefit of the doubt that they will bring it.

Oh yeah, gotta give Flip Sr. his props. If they were playing like zombies most of us would call for his head, but he is pushing the right buttons and the guys are motivated so I think he deserves some credit here.
  5. basketbills

That's right Darth....all of us Flip doubters are going to have to jump to the other side of the fence.
  6. Taco John

Taco John First Round Draft Pick

The Bulls only hope is to take back the rebounding edge which the Pistons are dominating right now. If Rip is outrebounding Ben, no way the Bulls are winning a game. Skiles used just about every conventional tool in his arsenal, but he's the type of coach who will go off the wall, and not worry about hurting his starters' feelings. I wouldn't be surprised if Sefelosha and Thomas start or play big minutes in Game 3.

And I'll leave the Flip Doubter side of the fence when he wins this series, but I'm still sitting on it until we go to the finals.
  7. basketbills

For sure...it's tacos for everyone if Flip sweeps this series. But if they falter and stumble like they did against the Cav's and just barely win...it's still no tacos as far as I'm concerned.
  8. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I agree. I'm definitely still on the fence, but I was leaning toward the "fire him" side earlier this season. Now, I'm leaning back the way I was when we first got him. Call me fickle, I guess.

Show me!
  9. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

Dont feel bad Darth I had it in for Flip also, you aren't the only one wafflling a bit. I think we all are right now, lmao.
  10. max

max All-Star

We all want whats best for the team. Flip was not my ideal choice but he has been doing a great job all season and a superb job so far in the post-season.

This is the pivital game. Is it a series or not?

2004 2nd round NJ series. Pistons had just blown out NJ twice at home and were heading to NJ with all the talk of a sweep. Series over, Nets cannot compete, Nets cannot win 4 out of 5. Three games later saw the 04 Pistons fighting for survial in a must win game 6 in NJ to force a game 7.

Lets hope that part of history does not repeat itself. Thank god there is no Darvin Ham at least to blow a game in OT ( if it ever comes to that ).

Pistons can pull this one out. This years core is the best Pistons road team we have seen. As long as the zebras don't sattle Sheed or Billups or anyone with early foul trouble then this should be more of the same with the Pistons getting the win.
  11. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

This game goes to OT, and the Pistons pull it out.......and go up

3-0..........
  12. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Score of the game.........93-84 Pistons.............

Foul totals: Pistons 26 - Bulls 16.......

Chauncey leads Pistons with 21 points.................

Go Pistons !!!!!!!!
  13. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You're right. As much as I hate to admit it, Flip deserves some of the credit for the way the team has come out guns-a-blazing in the playoffs.

I agree 100%. This will be the biggest test and the most important game of the playoffs to date for the Pistons. You've got to think that Chicago will come out attacking like a cornered animal. They know that they can't come back from a 3-0 hole. It's do or die time for them and they'll feed off the energy of the crowd. It'll be crucial for the Pistons to weather the initial storm and take the crowd completely out of it (and ideally, start to turn on the Bulls).

Not so fast my good man. My butt isn't going anywhere just yet. At this point, this team could get this far without any coach. Two games into the 2nd round isn't a big enough sample for me to make a decision. I'm not saying the Pistons have to win it all for me to say Flip did his job, but there's still a lot of playoffs left.

I agree with everything here. I look for Skiles to play a lot more zone D to allow Big Ben to guard the basket rather than our perimeter shooting big men.

Alright, I'll admit it. Flip has been doing a good job ok. What more do you people want from me! :MusicBigGrin:

And you're absolutely right, this is a pivotal game.
  14. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

I've got a new theme for this series...............................

"Beating the Bulls, So Easy A Caveman can do it"

:stooges: :laugh:
  15. Play On Players

Play On Players First Round Draft Pick

Does that mean the Heat are further down the evolutionary chart than cavemen? I've always thought Shaq looked like a gorilla... And D-Wade? He looks more like a fish than anything.

As I posted over at Need4Sheed, I read an article about how the Bulls looked at film from Game 2 and saw some positives because they felt they were getting open shots. I'm not the most observant person when I watch a Pistons game 'cause I'm usually bouncing off the walls (especially the last 2 games 'cause I had about 50 Laffy Taffys before tipoff) and going crazy and stuff and not paying too much attention to what the other team is doing so I can't really remember if the Bulls were getting a whole bunch of open looks. Were they?
  16. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I do think they missed some good looks, mostly in the second half, as I recall. But I don't think they got behind by 16 after the first quarter because they missed open shots. Even if they knock more of them down in Chicago (which is a pretty good bet), they're still going to need to get some stops, which they haven't shown much sign of being able to do.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

By the way, I looked up the song that is on the Geico caveman commercial...

Röyksopp- Remind Me

Off the "Melody A.M." album.

Good song.
  18. Terry T

Terry T First Round Draft Pick

If the Pistons can weather the initial storm and get to within six at halftime, the series is over.
  19. basketbills

I agree with that. We know how this team can come out sluggish and let games get away from them...

hold on...My mother’s calling, I’ll put her on speaker....
  20. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I thought the Bulls zone was fairly effective in the late 3rd and 4th quarters in Game 2. In the 3rd we were lucky enough to hit a number of 3's, but if that shot isn't going down it could be trouble as there were points where we just passed it around the perimeter until the shot clock wound down to zero.

thats why if the Bulls do use their zone more it will be vital for Webber and Sheed to get down low and help neutralise it. Webber was huge in the 4th quarter when the Bulls got the lead down to 13. He hit 2 jump hooks in a row and got an 'and 1'.

Sheed missed out due to foul trouble but he is going to need to establish himself down there in Game 3.