2nd Round Game 2 - Chicago May 7 TBD

Discussion in '2007 Playoffs' started by max, May 6, 2007.

1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I am also glad they are keeping their mouths shut. It looks like Rip was correct when he said that he was getting T'd only when he planned on it.
  2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    There is nothing to review here. Just one word to describe what's happened so far including this game - DOMINATION!!!

:cheerleader:
  3. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hell yeah, that was a great game. Loved to watch it, that was simply good basketball.
    Billups was everywhere. He must have had the ball in his hands for about 80% of the Pistons ball posession overall. The Bulls tried to double him, tried to force TO's, but no chance. Hit key 3's and got his teammates involved.

Hamilton:
    As the broadcasters mentioned, he's become way better at shooting off the dribble and creating his own shot. Also some key 3's and his usual running that makes one thing he has the lung of a horse.

Prince:
    Loved to see him running the point or at least bringing the ball up. Makes the team far more versatile with alternatives to Lindsey and Flip. Good ballhandling, brought the ball up very solid. Besides JMax, he's the dunker on the team. His vertical leap is quite underrated but it's one of the main reasons why he's able to compete despite being that extremely skinny.

Sheed:
    Sheed is stretching the offense and the Bulls have no answer for it. Tonight, he took only good shots from the arc and worked the boards very well. If he wants to, he can be a very good rebounder as he showed yesterday. Did what he had to- remember when he entered the 4th quarter for the red- hot Webber. I thought the Pistons would slow down a little bit but Sheed made a nice two handed slam at his first posession. That set the tone to continue the way the Pistons played with Webber, simply with Sheed instead.

Webber:
    What can I say? Sure, he's lost his explosiveness. But as he showed, he's still a lowpost thread. He works his jumphook to perfection and makes his shots even if he gets fouled, simply because he knows how to work with his quite big frame. So where he lacks athleticism, he compensates with foodwork and strength.

Delfino:
    Played quite a bit, did nothing special but played his usually solid D and worked the boards. It was very important that he didn't commit any really bad mistakes and that he can be trusted in.

Hunter:
    Had a harder time against Hinrich than Billups, but managed to bring the ball up front which was the most important thing.

Dyess:
    He's a rebounding machine. Still, it's sad, but one has to admit that his offense is simply weak. He has that one fade away shot that isn't very reliable and that's it. There where some posessions at which the old Dyess would simply stuffed it home but at times, it's still obvious that this guy's afraid to get into the paint.

Maxiell:
    Yesterday, Maxiell was part of a 4-bigs- rotation and he played on one level with the others. One nice outlet pass, some nice shots from mid range and surprisingly good work on the boards. Love to see him battling Ben Wallace when he got that technical. He looks even stronger than some months ago. Not afraid to take the hard foul and altering many shots.

Overall:
    Good execution, the fouls are a problem. The Pistons are forgetting about Ben Wallace and offer too many open looks inside for the Bulls guards. Last night, the fouls problem for the bigs wasn't such a big matter because of the big lead, but if the lead's smaller, one has to wonder if DD and Nazr could provide what is needed.
    FUnny to see FLip working what everyone else worked against his team last year. Playing 4 on 5 and sometimes trust into Ben's offensive weakness. Remember his undefended airball right under the basket?

For the Bulls, Tyrus Thomas is a monster. That kid has a huge upside and he could be a key since PJ Brown and Ben Wallace are almost ineffective on the offensive end.
  4. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Wow is all I can say. I was beginning to doubt this team could turn that intensity back on again. We haven't seen it other than in flashes since about February of last year.

Ditto to everything said above and...

- Rip leads the team in rebounding. All right, he didn't have much competition with Sheed only playing half time, but still he stepped up and went after the ball. If the Pistons guards rebound the team is almost impossible to stop.

- Note to Tyrus Thomas - Buy a game face.

- Note to JMax - See if you can unload one of your old game faces to Thomas for some bucks. You gotta love grabbing Deng by the head and tossing him aside and not even looking back as he walked away.

- 10 and 7 for Sheed in eighteen. He's had weeks that averaged that playing 34. The man is ready to play. And getting some really goofy fouls called against him.

- Nice prep job by the coaching staff getting the team ready for the Bulls press. The Pistons turned the ball over a lot last night, but by and large not against the press. Chicago expended a load of energy and didn't have much to show for it. (They got some turnovers in the frontcourt because the Pistons took more time than usual getting the ball up and rushed some stuff, but that's a secondary benefit from the press. If you're not getting steals in the backcourt, you're just wearing your guys down.)

On to Chicago. I thought the Bulls might take a game there, but now...
  5. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

They probably will shoot better at home and continue to get some generous calls, but I don't see much chance of them stopping the bleeding on the glass. The Pistons' height advantage at every position, plus the intensity of their effort, isn't giving the Bulls anything on the boards.

Effort-wise, if the regular season showed anything, it's that the Pistons are a lot less likely to let down on the road then they are at home. That's not to say that they're going to play even better in Game 3 than they did in the first two games (hard to imagine), but it does mean that we should have plenty of confidence in their ability to keep up the intensity away from the Palace.
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think a key thing last night was the Pistons sticking to their guns and not countering pressure defense with pressure in return.

It was as though they were saying, "Pressure us all you want, we're not going to let it affect us".

Some of CBill's best games come with mid-teen scoring and near double digit assists. He doesn't have to be the mad bomber. He can be a capable floor leader.
  7. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Only bad stats from tonight's game = 21 Turnovers. Is that the team high this season? Definitely a playoff high.
  8. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Did someone say "mad bomber"???

[​IMG]
  9. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Made me think of Leslie Rockymore...:hoops:
  10. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

There is no way this Bulls team is gonna run away and hide, in my mind. Skiles won't let it happen. That team has SOME pride. I expect a tight contest in Game 3.

The Pistons, at times, really played out of control on both offense and defense. Many turnovers and many fouls. It just goes to show how bad the Bulls shot and rebounded. Frankly, I thought the second half of the game was tough to watch.

I don't like how Delfino settles for that outside shot either. He never has enough time to get set and ends up launching something that seems to always go high off the back rim. He should ball fake and take it to damn hole. He is gonna be quicker than a lot of guys guarding him. Also, he never gets the call on charges. He might as well start trying to strip the ball.

Doug Collins said something about Lindsay Hunter being able to knock down open shots. Uh, no. Sometimes Lindsay gets into an unbelievable groove, but he is clearly a streaky shooter. His shots are usually bad ones.

McDyess looked lost on offense to me, but I know his grandmother (who raised him) is ill so I guess I'm not surprised.

I loved how CWebb played last night on the offensive end. Tay, too. Our 1, 2 and 3 are killing their 1, 2 and 3.

This whole thing about Sheed playing better when he's pissed: That is short-lived. Bad Sheed sometimes overcomes Good Sheed.

If Flip wants to do some good coaching, he should show the team lowlights of last year's Cleveland series, when they dropped three in a row after being up 2-0. That'll keep 'em motivated.
  11. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

If you reach back to the previous Cleveland series for a meltdown, you gotta go further to the Milwaukee series where in that one game, we got totally embarassed. We had overmatched milwaukee but somehow we managed to stamp ignominity on our playoff run in that one game. GEtting beat is one thing. Getting blown out another. But this was beyond that. And the attitude after? Sickening.

We've seen 6 straight games of focused pistons basketball. The team hasn't been 100% awesome for every quarter but every game: determined to win.
  12. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

JMax has his game face on all of the time. He was born with a game face. He has his game face on when he's at the store buying a gallon of milk, and no one ever cuts in front of him in line.
  13. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Quote from C. Rosen article on Foxsports:

"For the Bulls to steal a game, they'll need more frequent and more extended lapses by the Pistons. But anything short of collective amnesia will only provide brief respites for the hard-pressed Bulls." :pound:
  14. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I hope the Pistons aren't reading their press clippings. Need to stay focused. I think San Antone will be waiting for them if they get all the way through.
  15. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

The refs could affect the outcome in a closer contest on the Bulls home court..................:stirthepot:
  16. crastinator

crastinator First Round Draft Pick

Wow what a clobberingX2!

I enjoyed it just as much the second go round.

All this talk about switches and gears and new levels for the "real season".... these two games made me a believer that this team can indeed turn it on and off.

And get a load of that Brahma Bull. I wish his role on the team translated somehow into my real life. I'd like the Pistons to loan me their JMax to take care of a few issues at my workplace.:)
  17. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

1st quarter was a thing of beauty. The refs were pretty much letting everything go in that 1st quarter. Rip was hacked a couple of times going to the basket but still managed to score.

Then the refs decided they would completely reverse the way they were calling it and call everything! Probably in a bid to help the Bulls back into the game. The first 6 minutes of the 2nd quarter was pure agony to watch.

I thought CWebb was brilliant in this game. He was the one making the baskets to stifle any thought of a Chicago run. Those elbow jumpers were sweet. I thought I saw him telling the guys in the first half 'just give me the ball'. Yeah he picked up some touchy fouls, but he doesn't get any respect on the defensive end anymore. Same with Dice. Sheed was just unlucky. He is gonna be mad pissed for Game 3. Looking forward to that!

Max had a fairly rubbish first half, but his second half was a lot better. He kept alive rebounds, got deflections, tap-outs, he was doing a great job without having to score. Dyess' jumper is off again. Delfino was ordinary, Lindsey didn't make any mistakes, thats about all you can ask. Not having a backup point hasn't mattered so far, but its the games where we are down or level when CB sits that I'm worried about. CB is going to play a lot of minutes this playoffs, I just hope he doesn't run out of gas.

Rip was sensational again, he just has a knack of hitting those tough little jumpers in traffic and the 'turn n guns'. He also hit a couple of 3's. Good to see.

Tay was solid again. He is our glue guy.

As long as we can continue to keep Chicago's guards down we should win 1 if not both games in their house. I just don't want to see Gordon get untracked. Keep that foot on the throat.

Go Pistons!
  18. max

max All-Star

19. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

This article said Skiles is going to put a hobbled Nocioni on Sheed and Deng on Prince..............:pound:

Is that supposed to help the Bulls???
  20. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Skiles seems to be doing what he can. I think he's being pretty clever. He's already dropped the hammer after the first game and he can't do that again, especially with a young team. He's got to go to the carrot - hey look, you're almost getting it done.

Don't know if it will work, but I think he's saying the right things. Hopefully the Pistons are looking at film of all the traveling calls and missed shots and thinking that the Bulls might not do that again either.