2nd Round Game 2 - Chicago May 7 TBD

Discussion in '2007 Playoffs' started by max, May 6, 2007.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

That is slippy's job. I don't want to step on his toes.
  2. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Ok.

Slippy!!!!

X out that 6th win my friend!!!!!!!!!
  3. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

DOMINANCE!!!!!!!
  4. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Mad props to Slippy and anyone else involved in the idea and maintenance of the official playoff countdown (up)! :good:
  5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

More of the same, only we jumped out on them harder, going up 24 early in the 2nd quarter. After that, we pretty much coasted in. Lots of foul trouble kept disrupting our rotations, but it did not matter that much as Chicago just had way too little fire power against us. Chicago could run a good play here and there and get points while the Pistons simply overpowered Chicago on matchup after matchup.

Weird game in some ways. We outrebounded Chicago completely, with Chris Webber helping to set that tone with early offensive boards. We scored plenty of paint points. A lot of that was Webber too on his way to 22 points. The only thing Webber did not do well at was defense when he was called on to do a bit too much. Like when paired up with Dyess or simply out there as our only big at times.

Due to so much foul trouble on our front line we ended up playing Prince quite a bit at power forward in the 2nd half, but we could have used Dale Davis more.

Prince was the scoring hero for us along with Webber. All starters got double digit points again. Our bench did not score a point for much of the first half though. Still no point guard for our bench. Still correctable. We could still play Blalock, or use Delfino as the backup point, letting Amir play some small forward.

We gave up 30 points off turns. Thats bad, but most of that if not all was with us up at least 16 points when the turn was made. Just did not matter. Lots of margin for error in this one.

Jason Maxiell made one jumper from the post, and thats about it for his offense. He missed 2-2 at the line on one trip. He got in foul trouble, along with Webber, and Sheed fouling out. Maxiell's defense is pretty darn good though, and he got his share of bounds in this one.

Delfino played some good D, helped with the ball handling chores, especially when we went small at the end of the game. I think he just made one free throw. He did not shoot much. Murray did not play except for 2 garbage minutes at the end of the game. Hunter did nothing at all, but he did hit a three in garbage time. Dale Davis put in maybe 4 minutes? Not much to say about his stint.

CB got double digit assists and scored about 14. Eleven of those points came in the 2nd quarter, and much of that as we built up that 24 point lead. About midway thru the 2nd, we were on a pace to hit about 75 points for the half. We cooled off pretty much for the rest of the game, but the damage was done, and Chicago never got to better than within 13 the rest of the way.

Tay had the inside game going as well as the outside shot. Rip scored some, including a couple of long rangers. So easy to forget to guard Rip out there. So easy to forget that he led the league in 3 point shooting last year.(In percentage). I think that new ball hurt him to start this year. Good for us as it helps to lull teams to sleep as they just don't remember how good he is.

Chicago was at the line all nite. I don't think it was the officials, we were just fouling a lot, and not caring really as our front line is just too deep to care.

As the announcers pointed out, Chicago now has to win 4 of 5 to take this series. As they lose every matchup, and man did Tay ever whip the snot out of Deng tonite, this is virtually impossible. Flip Saunders is going to have to give quite a motivational speech for next game to keep the team interested-or not. Ben Wallace is still on the Chicago team-I don't think a word needs to be said.

Speaking of Ben, those were my best laughs of the nite watching Ben trying to be an offensive machine. Got to love that he is on another team and some other fans have to suffer that kind of thing. GO PISTONS!!!!!
  6. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Btw, Wings just closed out the Sharks.

DETROIT PRO SPORTS!!
  7. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

The best part of Rip's game tonight was backing down on the much shorter Bulls guards and scoring on turnaround jumpers in the lane. He was killing them with that.

Three-point shooting has been big as well. Pistons were off the charts tonight, 10-19. They're shooting 45% on 3s so far in the playoffs!
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Thanks Ozark!
  9. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

They really can't board with us. Ben is all alone against our entire front line. They have match-up problems all over the court. If they cover the match-up problems shooters are open.

They went to Sweetney because we are playing smart defense--getting out on the shooters and forcing them to drive. We leave Ben to pick up the driver. Skiles wanted to see if Sweetney could give them some offense. Not enough offense and his defense was poor.

They are capable of giving us a battle ( the score is somewhat deceptive) but hard to see the Bulls compete for the series.

We need to go into Sheed early next time. Dyss needs to adjust. They are rushing out on him to stop the open look. Hunter sure did not look too good out there. Delfino is too tentative on the shot again. Maxiel made some mistakes but they cannot handle him down low. Only Ben can and he is overmatched by what they are asking him to do. I would use eMurray some at the point.
  10. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Pistons bench was weak in this game, after a great Game 1. But as long as they don't get totally dominated in Chicago, I think the Pistons will be fine, given how badly the Bulls' starters are getting outplayed by ours.
  11. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

The camera shot of the Bulls on the bench in the final minutes, starting with Ben and ending with Skiles, told the whole story. Those are the kinds of faces you usually see on the losing team at the end of the series, not after just two games. These guys know it's over. This is a pretty hard fall for a young team that has just swept the defending world champs in the first round.

This was a strange game in many ways. The number of Pistons fouls and turnovers was unreal. Most of their fouls looked basically intentional, like they didn't care who they sent to the line or who fouled out. Not a lot of free chili in this one.

Ben led the Bulls with 7 rebounds. Here are the Pistons who matched or exceeded that number:

9 Rip
    8 JMax
    7 Tay
    7 Sheed
    7 Webber
    7 Dyess
  12. Play On Players

Play On Players First Round Draft Pick

I feel really bad for thinking that the Pistons weren't going to come out with the kind of energy they did in Game 1. I knew they weren't going to think it would be easy, as several of them stated that they didn't anticipate blowing Chicago out any other game this series, but I thought maybe their focus would be slightly blurred by the Game 1 rout. I'm so glad I was wrong. Other than the 21 TOs and excessive fouling, there wasn't a whole lot I didn't like about this game. I hope in Game 3 they feed the 'Sheed a little more and make him be agressive on the offensive end. His defense was great again, even though he played limited minutes. To which I might add: Thank God for our frontcourt depth! I loved Maxiell's little shove that got him the T. Was that his first T of the year? Of his career? Hmm... Anyway, here's to more of what we saw in the first 2 games and to Dee-Troit dominace in Game 3! CHEERS! :cheers:

P.S. Flurray played?
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Here is how I see this game.

If you ignore free throws, and only look at actual baskets made, we beat them 92 to 50!!! If we would have got the calls and they wouldn't have (switch the FTs around), then we would have won 129 to 66.

That is absolutely ridiculous that they even had a chance mid way through the 4th quarter. Nice reffing.

You got Sheed and Tay getting chopped as they're dunking and nothing.

All in all, I'm glad that Sheed and co. have something to be pissed off at.
  14. 4cwebb

4cwebb First Round Draft Pick

No worries...I didn't realize the link was in the Quick Links menu (although that makes logical sense).
  15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Pistons won games 1 and 2 convincingly but we shouldn't get to happy until we win one on their court. I only say that because the Rockets won games 1 & 2 and they are watching the playoffs from Tear mac's garage.

Three things we need to be concerned about, will the Bulls shoot better at home, will the Pistons continue to outrebound the Bulls and will the refs continue to provide the Bulls with bonus points.

We can only hope that the Pistons come out with the same intensity and play agressive enough to get a few calls themselves and put these guys on the ropes and take game three. No prisoners, no let ups. They can rest in July. The best scenario is the next time the Pistons play in the palace it is game 1 of the ECF one day next week.
  16. max

max All-Star

Yes that was a very strange game. Result is all the counts though. Pistons are up 2-0 and I don't think the Bulls ever got to within 13 once the Pistons pulled away.

Good old playoff basketball. If it looks different from game #1 and very different from the Orlando series thats because it is. Flip has been making some great game to game adjustments. No free Chili tonight as the Bulls used to embarass us with that during the reg season. Some of the defensive breakdowns could have been because Sheed was not in there and some of it was the guards losing focus on defense and allowing some penetration. Flip may have to adjust that zone because the only concerning thing was that for about 5-7 mins of the 4th the Bulls started looking like they may have found something that worked.

There were also some bad calls. I thought those 2 Sheed got on Nocioni were garbage. Especially that one when Nocioni was all over him and Sheed gets the offensive call for trying to clear some space. When Sheed is on the floor it seems to make everything go so much easier for the Pistons on both ends.

Gordan has been in consistant foul trouble for both games. If both Sheed and Gordan sat out I would that that in the Pistons favor. Although Gordan deserves his fouls wheras some of Sheed were junk. Sometimes the Bulls defense appears to consist of fouling on every play to see if they can get away with it.

Thats why you develope the bench. Can't go into the post-season with only 3 or 4 playable bigs. There will be some games like this when you need the extra staff to secure that home court series leading 2-0 win.

Jmax - way to send a statement on Deng. During the season Deng thought he could fly in for uncontested dunks whenever he wanted - no more. On the other side I thought Ben Wallace's no-fly zone accepted plenty of traffic there last night. The man is still deadly but he can't seem to jump like he used to. Not a good thing for a 6.6" center. Hopefully Cwebb can continue to take advantage of that.
  17. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Sorry for the delay on the 6th X.

Let's just take 2 on their court and get ready for the ECF.
  18. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

What Max said!

LAst year with the type of plays we had, if you weren't one of the annointed 5, you were a liability. This year Rip is getting into the lane, Webber is rocking the high post. Sheed is going inside and out instead of just out. They have to adjust to the attack and that leaves Davis, Maxiell, and even Delfino with better scoring opportunities. They may not have put up great numbers but MAxiell was in there on the glass and Dyess was doing his thing spelling Sheed for extended minutes.

I'll give FLip Sr. credit for having this team focused with consistent effort, consistent execution and good depth.
  19. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    The bench didn't hurt us, which in itself is a good thing. Now, no starter played too much especially with 2 days off in between the games.
  20. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Unfortunately Pistons give us reasons to doubt their effort. They've been known to coast, even in the playoffs. Who's to say they are not going to think that this series is over at this point. I sure hope they keep that door shut. So far this year they haven't given us that reason, but somewhere deep in the back of my mind...