2nd Round Game 1 - Chicago May 5 7pm

Discussion in '2007 Playoffs' started by max, May 4, 2007.

1. max

max All-Star

The Pistons D has matured to the point where they can take advantage of any mistakes and shread you for it. Miami did not do that, its not something the Bulls are used to.

Everything went right this game. This was the perfect start to the series.
  2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Billups came out blazing, and getting Ben Gordon in foul trouble, as the Pistons got a fairly easy victory tonight. Billups just totally outclasses the Chicago guards. Worse for Chicago, Duhon ain't giving them anything off the bench. Indeed, the Chicago bench did not even get a bucket in the first half of the game.

Deng was pretty much the only bright spot for Chicago, but Tay guarded him pretty effectively, plus was raining in shots all nite himself. Yeah, I think Tay won this little battle. Deng scored a lot more readily when Tay was sitting, but me, I was like, Tay is resting, Deng is scoring, and yet here we are still beating up on Chicago.

Dyess was the most significant sub for us, doing fine defensive work, getting lots of boards, and hitting several jumpers. He would have had a great game indeed if he had not missed several putback tries. Delfino contributed mostly on the boards, including a slam back off one offensive bound. He made two outside shots in garbage time to make an otherwise poor shooting nite look better.

JMAX got into the game, but you got to wonder if he would have if not for foul trouble. The press here did say to expect more of Maxiell. Maxiell got a slam from collecting an offensive board, dribbling from the right to in front of the basket for the dunk. He hit a jumper off a post up. He got a dunk on a nice bullet pass from Hunter. Another dunk late. His defensive rotations were impressive as always.

JMAX played about the last 5 minutes of the 2nd quater and most of the 4th quarter. We started out the 4th quarter with 3 unanswered triples. Sheed, Rip, and then Tay. Rip's was the most impressive, coming as the shotclock was expiring. Tay's was the most dramatic, as it spelt the end of Chicago's nite.

Davis got a couple of minutes in garbage time. Flip got some garbage time minutes too plus he played just a bit to end the first half. Hunter played the whole 4th plus about 6 mintues in the 2nd quarter. In total, I think Hunter must have been plus 24 in this game, or something like that. (At least at one point in the game when our lead got up to 28). Hunter did not really run the point well, but he did fine on defense, disrupting Chicago often.

It was noted that Flip Saunders deliberately played Hunter very little in the Orlando series (he only played 10 minutes) so that he would be fresh for this series. He looked pretty tired after those 6 mintues in the 2nd quarter, so lets hope him playing the whole 4th was not too much for him.

Well, Billups sure looks healthy now. What a contrast from that March 26th (I think) game where he started 2 for 14. That was an injured CB. Tonight, we saw the real Mr. Bigshot. CB came out firing over Gordon, who was guarding him initially. Duhon got his turn next to get repeatedly burnt by Chauncey. In the end, Hinrich got some scoring, but Duhon was near shutout while Gordon just made two shots for the night. Oh, and we held them to under 70. Got to love that.

Ben Wallace hit his first free throw, and even made two outside shots. One clanged around a few times before going in, and one was a fade-away over Webber. You know a team is in trouble if they are depending on Ben for offense.

The question of JMAX vs. Thomas. Thomas looked scared. JMAX looked fearless. And JMAX scored all the points and played the good D.

Sheed nailed a few triples, got inside a bit,but his defense was the biggest contribution from him tonight. He defended his own guy quite easily. (Like, hey what does Chicago have anyway-not much up front.) And Sheed was constantly found trapping someone on the baseline.

Rip did two things. Fine D, which is not too difficult for him against Chicago as he has speed to spare and quite a height advantage over the Chicago guards. And two, he scored as much as he felt like scoring. It was CB's nite to shine, but Rip still managed to put up good numbers.

Webber, well, so so. Got some bounds. A good pass or two. Chicago was not getting inside on us too much. Defensively, well, he is just gaurding Ben or PJ. Not much of a chore. The thing about Webber that is underated is that despite lack of foot speed, he does know where to be, and that is more than half the battle.

I still think Chicago will manage to rally and win one game in this series. But then again, if the Pistons sweep the series that will hardly surprise me. GO PISTONS!!!!!
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It's hard to find much to complain about from this game. I just checked again and Flip had 2 assists in 7 minutes. Everyone played a part and we rolled 11 men.

Minutes were down (rest), we made our FTs, we won the battle of the boards, Maxiell had a nice scoring game, Hunter had 6 assists off the bench, Sheed fought through bad shooting to have a decent line.

And we never got too goofy or bogged down.

This is a BIG wakeup for the Baby Bens. They were probably still feeling pretty good about beating the Heat. I expect a much better effort from them in Game 2.
  4. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Reckoned that I've missed this "D" for two seasons, would like to borrow what Big Ben told JMax after the game, "Good job". Keep coming, Deeeeeeeeeetroit.
  5. linwood

linwood All-Star

Great game by the Pistons! I was very, very impressed with the bench this game. Couple of bench highlights:

Delfino grabs the rebound, and then hits the reverse jam. Awesome!

Maxiell with the dunks AND the midrange jumpers! Amazing!

Dice with the rebounding, and the beautiful outside shooting. I'm out of superlatives!

I expect the Bulls to adjust and put up a fight in game two. Pistons shot the lights out, and the Bulls (thanks to the Pistons D) were ice cold. :cold:
  6. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I'm waiting for the nba broadband highlights
  7. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

I guess this game answers the question of which team would be most affected by the long layoff. The young team apparently could not regenerate the smooth flow of a week ago. I imagine they will be a lot better organized and in better ryhthm for game 2.

FlipS & Company did a wonderful job in having the Bull scouted and the Stones prepared.
  8. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Great game. I missed the first half, but was very impressed with the first half box score.

I disagree with most on a better performance by the Bulls in game 2. I believe it will be another beat down. However, they will come out firing in Chicago and win game three for their only victory of the series.
  9. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

VCR? Tape it? :pound:
  10. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Ahhh, the difference? there is No Shaq or NO Wade waiting 4 us!!!:)
  11. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That was my point. A nice easy win.

I have no doubt that the series will get much tougher, but this was a great way to start out!
  12. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree HQ. Last year, I think the team looked past the Cavs a bit. I think they felt that they could mail the series in and were more concentrated on Miami in the next round.

This year, with the way things have turned out, the 2nd round will more than likely be tougher than the 3rd - regardless of which team wins. The team should be 100% focused on this round.

I think it's good that Chicago beat us 3 of 4 during the regular season and swept Miami. It forces the team to take them seriously.
  13. Play On Players

Play On Players First Round Draft Pick

You know, whether you're at the Palace or kickin' it at home, screaming profanities and chanting DEEE-TROOOIIIT! BAAA-SKET-BAAALL! along with the Mason-led crowd, there is nothing quite like watching the Pistons do what they do. This game was 10 kinds of pretty! I enjoyed everything about this game, from the Skiles tech to the 3 consecutive 3's to the Nocioni airballs to 'Dyess' missed putbacks (too much power, 'Dyess!). Here's to matching the energy and intensity and fire that they played with tonight and grabbing Game 2! CHEERS! :cheers:
  14. Play On Players

Play On Players First Round Draft Pick

P.S. "why is hamilton still in?
    hope that punk turns an ankle"

Let me at 'em...
  15. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Good job at not looking the Bulls over. We will see if the coaches and the players make sure that they don't get lackadaisical in Game 2.
  16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Post game audio for your listening enjoyment!

Rip Hamilton sideline with David Aldridge

Rip Hamilton Press Conference

Kirk Hinrich Press Conference

Flip Saunders Press Conference

Scott Skiles Press Conference

nJoy!

Attached Files:

17. 4cwebb

4cwebb First Round Draft Pick

Agreed. The relatively easy nature of the second half of this game could lead to a let down, and as someone else has mentioned, the Bulls will certainly come out swinging in Game 2.

Great Game 1 by the Pistons, but they were supposed to win this game to hold homecourt advantage. The job is halfway complete for the first two games.
  18. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

The thing that stood out for me was how incredibly disjointed the Baby Bulls looked on offense the entire game. They looked like a bunch of guys who had never played with each other before. I kept waiting for them to get into some type of rhythm, but it never happened.

I was watching with my 12-year-old daughter, and found myself saying over and over, "look, he has no decent shot to take" and "he has nobody good to pass to." If the Pistons can stay locked in like this, we could be in for a really long run.
  19. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

:pound: :pound:
  20. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Some addtional ramdom thoughts
    I am extremely happy for the win (tigers and wings win too) so my day was made (but feel sorry for T-mac)

I am seeing a Piston win on Monday too, but not going to really get happy until the Pistons win one in Chicago next week and they are up 3-0 or 3-1.

I know Chicago will adjust but as we said all along, if their jumpers ain't fallin then they ain't winnin:brick: They shot 33% and were just horrid in the second half scoring only 28 points. Even worse was their bench shooting 3-30. Were these guys nervous or what?

The bulls couldn't make up the difference in paint either scoring only 18 points (to the Pistons 22).

Enough of the Bulls woes, the Pistons looked good all the way around with the bench providing a spark in the second qtr and Hunter providing + points instead of negative flow. He didn't score but he did grab 3 steals and 5 assists. Max did his thing to show that we got more than just Dice back ther to back up Webber and Sheed.