2nd Round Boston vs Cleveland

Discussion in '2008 Playoffs' started by max, May 4, 2008.

1. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Amusing round-up of recent thread titles from a big Boston sports forum:

Always fun to look in on other teams' forums when they're struggling. :laugh:
  2. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

• Rondo has to settle down the club and run some plays and take charge.
    • Pierce is killing this ball club. He should sweat hard to earn his points instead of reading past newspaper clips.
    • Start PJ to free up KG and use isolation. If not, PJ will hit 12 ft jumpers all night.
    • I would try to find some time for Tony Allen.
    • Alternate Allen and Cassell.
    I doubt that Boston will lose another game (or shouldn't). For punishment, we will all have to be tied to the galley and made to watch that pathetic paddy-cake interview with Bill Russell and KG...over and over again.
  3. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

That's because they have more pubs in Boston and not enough pseudo-excitement over D-League players.
  4. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I feel the exact opposite.

With every game that goes by that Lebron doesn't shoot well I have to think the odds increase that he is about to break loose and lite the arena up with something spectacular.

It may not be game 5, but by game 6 it has to be a good bet that LeBron is going to have one of "those games" where Boston gets taken apart and all they can do is shrug their shoulders and get ready for the next one.
  5. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

As great as Lebron is, maybe the opposite will end up being true about this series: not that he's struggling and due for a breakout game, but that the Celtics are actually shutting down his scoring and he can't find a way around that. Four consecutive games of bad shooting is more than just a blip on the radar screen.

Of course, the fact that the series is still tied 2-2 in spite of that, and could easily be 3-1 Cleveland if Lebron had merely shot poorly instead of horriffically in Game 1, isn't of much comfort to Boston.
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Unfortunately, you can substitute Pistons for Celtics and make the same observations.

I must say though watching the C's struggle makes me feel better about DET's play against them the last few years.

I have been rooting for Cleveland. Why do I get the feeling that will come back to haunt me sometime soon?
  7. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I'm just rooting for whoever looks worse at the moment. :bounce::juggle::bounce:
  8. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Yea it was pretty unnerving, although our often is not that bad. Yes, we take stupid shots, but none of the Celts looked like they even wanted to shoot. Although the end of the Magic game was pretty funny. I was all excited like look ball movement, and you knew it was because w/o Chauncey no one knew what the hell to do. It's ironic that that's the one time we get a good possession at the end of a game.

I think it's really uncanny how CLE aquires totally different players and is still on point defensively even with guys like Wally. I give alot of credit to MB. I don't know if he just makes them practice defense to death or his schemes are genius.

I've been rooting for CLE too just for Chauncey's hamstring, and i feel the same way. I might make the permanent switch to BOS.

LOL Balldon'tlie
  9. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Obviously we had to root for Cleveland these last two games in order to stretch the series out to at least 6 games. If the Pistons finish off Orlando tonight, then another consideration becomes how much time off might be too much. If Boston-Cleveland goes 6, then I think the ECF would start on Sunday (again, assuming Detroit wins tonight), giving the Pistons a full 4 days off. A 7-game series between Boston and Cleveland would result in at least 6 days off for the Pistons, maybe 7, which might be a bit much.

Perhaps the worst case would be Boston winning in 6, and then starting the ECF at home with the newfound confidence of having finally won on the road--and in a close-out game, no less. Although that certainly seems unlikely at this point; either Cleveland in 6 or Boston in 7 seem like the most probable scenarios.
  10. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm rooting for a 10 OT Game 7. :MusicBigGrin:
  11. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

No team has ever won the NBA title with 5 road losses combined, in the first two rounds. That makes Boston toast. So let's play Cleveland and toast them...:gun1:
  12. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    That reminds me of the last years' conference finals with Pistons passing the ball around as if it was hot potato. And I have to admit, it does worry me to a certain degree.
  13. max

max All-Star

Then again Clev did not look all that hot against Washington so maybe its just the Celtics, it did take them 7 games against Atlanta.
  14. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

A few observations watching CLE . . .

If we don't use Amir's length, rebounding, and hustle in that series to match up with CLE 4 bigs rotation, we are screwed (on the boards and otherwise)

AA has to guard Gibson, and LBJ at times.

Chauncey has to be 100% healthy.

Max has to start.

Theo has to play but ONLY when Z is in.

Coaching will be crucial. MB's defensive schemes are very good.

And lastly Sheed needs to step up against Ben.

(This is all assuming they win which looks likely at the moment)
  15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good analysis. Too bad the Pistons won't even be playing the Cavaliers. Perhaps you should breakdown the Celtics...
  16. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I concur..in the end it will be just as everyone predicted [STRIKE]David Cook and David Archeleta[/STRIKE], er I mean Pistons and Celtics :MusicBigGrin:
  17. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I did say assuming LOL.

Ok, A few observations watching the Celtics . . . :)

The first still stands. Amir has to play for the same reason. Keep him in the game with Sheed, and keep him off KG.

If Max has trouble with Big Baby, we should prob just throw Amir at him. Mismatch on Mismatch. See what happens. Amir can shoot over the top, and his length will give him an advantage. He doesn't have to use strength to fight him; just athleticism.

Sheed needs to step up against KG, defensively and offensively.

Use AA to guard Pierce, Rondo, Allen, etc.

Chauncey has to be 100% healthy. Hopefully when Rondo breaks his ankles, he doesn't break the hamstring as well. Chauncey's gotta use his size in the post.

Max needs to start.

Theo will be useful, but only against Perkins.

Tay needs to continue his strong play.

Rip needs to play under control, and stay connected to Allen. Allen is their weakest link defensively.

No Arvis. LH only when absolutely needed.

Pray that Doc doesn't get the idea to put Posey on Billups or Prince for any sort of extended time. :sssh:

Move the ball, don't settle for jumpshots, and keep their composure when the star calls for KG start. BOS is allowed to handcheck at home as well. If we can too, i don't mind.

Oh and i forgot to add, run every chance you get.
  18. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

This is turning out to be a pretty annoying series, although we've already benefited from it going at least 6 games and giving the Pistons at least 4 full days off before the ECF. I think we have to root for Cleveland to take it to 7 games now, because if Boston somehow wins Game 6, it'll be nothing but "they've broken the road jinx," "they've shown how much heart they really have," "they're on their way to the title," etc. etc., as opposed to now where everyone is doubting their ability to ever win on the road. And if Cleveland wins Game 6, that doubt won't go away no matter what happens in Game 7.
  19. max

max All-Star

Thing is if Amir did not play in the 2nd round the I highly doubt he is going to play much from here on out. I just don't see it happening.

I would not necessarily assume the Celts are going to win this thing. If Clev wins game 6 then the Celts have to lose at home sometime.
  20. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I'm expecting us to drop game 1 due to rust. so its better to lose as a visitor at Boston, steal game 2 and close out at the palace cuz the C can't git er done on the road.