1. PF.com is also on Facebook. Follow/Like us Here.
    Dismiss Notice

2017 NBA Draft

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by junior, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Profitable is the word. Creating opportunities for small market teams succeed generates more revenue for the league as a whole. All of us here were talking about how this year's playoffs stink because there just isn't great competition. The whole playoff has mostly been a snoozer until the Finals. Imagine an entire year of that.

roscoe36 likes this.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It's called being a Pacers fan. LOL

3. Walter

Ouch!

roscoe36 likes this.
  4. junior

junior All-Star 5x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

NBA draft is about a month away and since the lottery just happened, we know where the Pistons will be drafting.

I thought it would be fun to explore the Pistons options:
    Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 1.12.41 PM.png

I am fairly confident six players will be off the board: Fultz, Ball, Jackson, Fox, Tatum, Isaac. If any one of these players drops to the Pistons, it is a no brainer to take him. So I won't debate these players.

I do, however, disagree with most of Keith Langlois' recent articles about who the Pistons will be drafting and what position they should be focusing on.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I feel there are two types of the players the Pistons should aggressively avoid: swingmen SF/PF who aren't great shooters and weak "stretch" PFs.

We already have three terrible shooting swingmen SF/PF in Morris, Harris, and Stanley. We don't need anymore. Let's rule out Justin Jackson and OG Anunoby.

We already have Leuer and Ellenson as weak "stretch" PFs. We don't need anymore. Let's rule out Lauri Markkanen and TJ Leaf.

I would be unreasonably upset if one of these kinds of players was taken without a trade in the works.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I argue there are three kinds of players the Pistons should be targetting: a PG for the future, a SG who can shoot, and a PF/C who can play D.

PGs for the future:
    Fultz, Ball, Fox, Smith, Ntilikina.

Fultz, Ball, and Fox will be gone. Smith or Ntilkina would both be great upgrades over Jackson. We need to get over ourselves if we think Reggie can help us beat the Cavs, so best-case scenario with Reggie is getting killed in the ECF by LeBron and company. I would be quite happy if we got either of these guys and I would do anything to rid ourselves of Jackson even if it means giving up Morris' contract and a future pick.

SGs who can shoot:
    Monk, Ferguson, Mitchell, Kennard, Diallo.

Monk is easily the best SG in the draft and it would take a miracle for him to fall to 12. If he did, it's an easy pick for the Pistons. I might argue that Monk and Bullock would be a better SG group than KCP and Stanley. If you do take Monk, you've got to move one or two of Stanley, Morris, and Harris. I'd push for moving Morris and letting Stanley play his natural position at SF. Pistons desperately need 3P shooting, no more of this mid-range BS.

I'd argue the Pistons brain-trust aren't willing to take a big enough risk on Hamidou Diallo the none-and-done SG from Kentucky. I think we should be happy with a Ferguson or Mitchell pick and I plan some follow-up posts debating these two players. Kennard would be a weak and disappointing lottery pick.

PF/Cs who can play D:
    Collins (Gonzaga), Allen, Collins (Wake Forest), Patton, Giles, Adebayo, Rabb.

The PF group is quite diverse and is a much more significant debate than other positions. I would argue that PF is our weakest position and a strong, defensive PF next to Drummond would be a nice change. In the last five years, we have tried PFs that either can't shoot, can't play defense, or both (Monroe/Jerebko/Tolliver/Leuer).

I think we should try to complement Dre's defensive strengths (defensive rebounding, steals) with a PF who is mobile and can protect the rim. Anyone of the guys mentioned above has that potential and can slide over to C if Dre is struggling.
    tl;dr:

The Pistons should not draft a bad shooting SF or a weak PF again (Stanley/Ellenson 2.0).

They should look for a PG of the future, SG who can shoot, or a PF/C who can play D.

Their draft board should look like:
    1-6 (Miracles) -- Fultz, Ball, Jackson, Fox, Tatum, Isaac
    7 (KCP insurance) -- Malik Monk
    8-9 (Reggie replacement) -- Dennis Smith, Frank Ntilikina

10-11 (Bye bye Bullock) -- Terrance Ferguson, Donovan Mitchell
    12+ (Help out Dre) -- lots of hybrid PF/Cs with defensive potential

I plan to follow up with highlights and comparisons of each of the players the Pistons have a chance with.

If anyone has any disagreements or other perspectives, I'd love to hear them!

5. tirtep

tirtep All-Star

+1.

In my opinion, this is by far the best postseason post. Great job, junior!:)

Last edited: May 22, 2017 at 3:17 PM
  6. Walter

If the goal is to complement Dre's game, you need a shot blocker with 3 pt range. A Serge Ibaka type player.

roscoe36 and tirtep like this.
  7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Good luck holding Van Gundy to only 2 weak PF's. What if one of them can't practice for some reason?

The Panda and roscoe36 like this.
  8. junior

I change my mind, there is no way Monk drops. I think he could be in play at 3 with the 76ers.

Look how freakin' good this kid is:

9. junior

I took the liberty of accumulating every non-pay-wall 2017 mock draft I could find:
    Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 7.43.54 PM.png

The Panda, roscoe36 and basketbills like this.
  10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 5x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

11. BillLaimbeer

Looks like Isaac and Smith will also be gone before it gets to us at #12.

roscoe36 and junior like this.
  12. junior

How does he compare to this guy:

roscoe36 likes this.
  13. BillLaimbeer

I don't think Ferguson played much in Australia last year. That highlight video may have been all of his points!!

roscoe36 likes this.
  14. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Depends on who the Pistons get rid of: Pope, RJ or some wings.
    If Pope...then Ferguson who has a great outside touch. He is not a PG/SG, but a very interesting wing and will SVG get rid of our many wings?
    If RJ...then Donovan Mitchell (my favorite), who will work with Ish and Pope, et. al.
    Notice how I have slanted my bias: this being SVG's forever love of incremental dreaming that huge anomalies abound from our 2017 record and knowing we are better than a .500 ball club.
    SVG will keep RJ because his value is exceptionally low. Winter (2018) will tell all.
    Pope should be gone. If so, then SVG trades for a vet SG (I like Shaun Livingston) who gets out of Dante's Hell and into the Eastern Conference with a solid guarantee of starting for a playoff team.
    Where upon, D. Mitchell gets some playing time; because Mr. Dresden Porcelain (Gbinije) is about to loose his location contract ($650,000) and Hilliard justifies that he is worth an additional $224, 636.
    Therefore, all eyes will be on the summer league where PG's explode.
    If Mitchell is part of the equation, we shall see.
    Then, again...I have my own particular bias.

PS: I have no idea why Justin Jackson is climbing.

Last edited: May 23, 2017 at 12:56 AM
    junior, roscoe36 and basketbills like this.
  15. junior

Pretty sure Shaun Livingston is a PG and I think he likes where he's at now regarding playoff chances:
    Screen Shot 2017-05-23 at 7.04.28 PM.png
    I am not a big fan of him either. Inconsistent shooter. Weak defender. Best case scenario for his career is Tobias Harris...

...but he did improve a lot his Junior year:
    Screen Shot 2017-05-23 at 7.07.37 PM.png

and had a solid playoff run as the top scorer on the champion Tar Heels:
    Screen Shot 2017-05-23 at 7.07.18 PM.png

roscoe36 likes this.
  16. junior

You're right. These guys are awesome.

Smith reminds me a bit of John Wall:

Isaac reminds me a bit of Kevin Durant:

Although Smith has the quickness and vision of Wall and Isaac has the shooting touch and length of Durant, both don't project as great defenders.

roscoe36 likes this.
  17. junior

Zach Collins, freshman from runner-up Gonzaga, might be as close as it gets.

Here's the semi-final game where he got six blocks:

What do you think?

Last edited: May 23, 2017 at 7:55 PM
    roscoe36 likes this.
  18. BillLaimbeer

How is Collins different than Lure?

roscoe36 and junior like this.
  19. junior

Although physically they are very similar, Collins is better in three main ways:
    • Potential: Leuer averaged 2.9 ppg and 1.3 rpg at 19, while Collins at 19 averaged 10 ppg and 5.9 rpg. Leuer did not become an NBA prospect until he was 22 and at that point, his potential was limited and was drafted as a 2nd-round pick. We can only imagine with proper development how good Collins would be at 22.
    • Efficiency: Collins has a knack for taking only high efficiency shots and it's translated into 65.2% from the field and 47.6% from three. Although he didn't take many threes, he has great form on his shots and it translates to a solid FT%. Leuer averaged 48.2% from the field and 36.8% from three in his college career.
    • Defensive ability: Leuer has been shown to be an average to weak defender in the NBA and this could have been predicted by his mediocre defensive per 40 min college stats with 8.6 rebounds, 0.6 steals, and 1.1 blocks. Collins, on the other hand, has 13.6 rebounds, 1.1 steals, and 4.1 blocks per 40 min.
    Screen Shot 2017-05-23 at 8.18.16 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-23 at 8.18.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-23 at 8.18.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-23 at 8.18.44 PM.png

roscoe36 likes this.