1. Summer League Starts SATURDAY July 1 More info HERE.

Dismiss Notice
  2. PF.com is also on Facebook. Follow/Like us Here.
    Dismiss Notice

Important 2017/2018 NBA Trades, Signings, FA, and other Happenings

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jun 22, 2017.

1. kpaav

kpaav All-Star Forum Donor

That Luer signing makes less n less sense everyday

roscoe36 and Mogilny like this.
  2. CloudWalker

CloudWalker All-Star

I am uncertain if struggling to shoot better than 40% overall from the field classifies as "on fire" regardless of the 3ptfg% associated with it.
    Michael Jordan used to poke fun at the notion of a "shooting guard" that couldn't make 50% of their shots.
    What would he have to say about Pope? My guess is that if he were attempting to be diplomatic he would gloss over it by complementing KCP's defensive ability.

3. raxrets

raxrets All-Star

roscoe36 likes this.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Right, but Stef's situation and Pope's are dramatically different. The cap conditions were very different too.

I remember Jordan used to try to bullycide Richard Hamilton in Washington. LOL

Houston has always been serious about winning titles. Their ownership is committed to doing what it takes.

pass99 likes this.
  5. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

No, that is where Leuer and Ellenson come in. Leuer better on defense, Ellenson better on offense.
    Still, fairly solid.
    Dre, while he is still here, plays solely (as his comfort area) strictly in the 4 foot circle area.
    Moreland plays with a higher and more consistent motor and easily can help out with his rim protection aspects in covering for other players. Much like BenW did.
    If he can get consistent minutes, he will surprise people as being another BenW... Part II. That's my nickname for him: Part II.
    Great signing.

tirtep, BillLaimbeer and roscoe36 like this.
  6. pass99

Well, Ernie I think that his positional status is inconsistent and let us be clear on another thing...SVG gave him total control over his position as a two guard.
    He had no pressure to perform outside of himself, since SJ will never be a two guard and everyone knew this coming in when they drafted him. Stuck behind Morris and Harris meant a world of frustration for him.
    Pope had total control in maximizing his potential. It did not happen. With his elevated acceptance that he was a max-type player, we just had to move on.
    With two bold stokes, SVG and Brower help stabilize our problem area of 1-2 positions.
    Things can turn very quickly on such moves, and you always have DOD plans from the past and into the future.
    It really is scenario building and moving quickly at the right time can be a huge asset. You never look back and moan.

tirtep, coynejeremy, roscoe36 and 2 others like this.
  7. pass99

Absolutely and it gives us some time to find a cohesive unit come playoff time. We are moving forward.
    We are not done for he summer yet.

detteam, tirtep and roscoe36 like this.
  8. pass99

Our biggest contracts are under-performing for their respective value: Dre, RJ and Leuer. The latter was the only person who self-admitted to others and himself that he did not perform to his and others expectations.
    At least for Leuer, that's a beginning, and you can get an indication of this by his acquiescence toward Morris, that he would come off the bench. SVG picked the right person, but he lost the team regardless.
    The other two had no personal accountability and it ended with sending RJ home because he is a psychological basket-case.
    Dre continues his elevation to maturity, by not having a clue and continuing to mope.
    This makes someone like Cousins, look like another team oriented Joel Anthony.
    We are not done yet, time to move on.

roscoe36 likes this.
  9. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Sorry guys, unfortunately I was asleep when all this happened so I missed the boat! I won't go back and quote everyone but Ill sum up my thoughts.

On KCP: Despite what we all thought of him (promising 2 way wing) giving him max money is stupid. I imagine outside of Brooklyn, he is going to be pretty unhappy with his situation. No good teams can sign him and there are only a few teams with the space to offer him money even in the vicinity of what he wants. I'm sad about this but this is just how the cookie crumbles.

On the trade: Lets not lose sight of what we actually gave up. KCP was never part of this trade! The Galloway trade guaranteed that we couldn't offer him max money. We gave up Morris, a decent combo forward on a great deal for Avery Bradley, an actual elite defensive wing (probably one of the best in the league, 2 time All Defensive team), who is a fantastic secondary ball handler and offensive threat. He has shot above 35% from three consistently, can create off the dribble and is a willing passer. Oh, did I mention that he is also awesome at cutting off the ball? He is a massive upgrade over Morris and they even threw in a pick. Without KCP we will easily be able to offer him fantastic money (not max) next year. He is 27 so not heaps of upside, but I'll take what he offers any day of the week.

Goodbye Morris: Honestly, not that big of a loss. We only value him highly because he was cheap for the amount of production. Expect to see his minutes allocated to some of the younger guys.

Celtics fans are devastated about this trade. I'm eagerly awaiting Bill Simmons' series of angry tweets. This is a huge talent upgrade. This feels like the Celtics were locked in a corner because they knew they couldn't offer AB the money he is due next year.

Just watch him lock down Kyrie Irving, arguably the best creator off the dribble in the league

View: https://streamable.com/nda13

detteam, junior, tirtep and 3 others like this.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Again, why would we max kcp?

kpaav and roscoe36 like this.
  11. pass99

A nice summing up and you may do so anytime you want. That clip on Irving is priceless. That is Piston basketball.
    Just one small comment: he is a two guard not a wing (but, I don't mind him switching-off whatever position he wants to take-on).
    In the end, all flexibility is the freedom to mix-and-match, plus the consonant of learning in the process.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2017
    The Panda and roscoe36 like this.
  12. roscoe36

A better question might be, "Why keep KCP?"

kpaav and tirtep like this.
  13. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't see the point of the question.

If the rumors are true, the front office decided KCP wasn't worth the max.

They signed Galloway knowing what they would be able to offer KCP afterwards.

They offered him what they were willing to pay or what they could pay (arguably they made him a reasonable offer). He rejected it. They decided to move on from KCP, which left a hole at starting 2-guard.

They executed the trade for Bradley, filling their need. Bradley is indisputably a superior talent to KCP and on a cheaper contract. They have his Bird rights and he reportedly wants to play for a team willing to commit, so it may be mutually beneficial.

Trading Morris frees up a logjam at small forward. Allows SJ to prove himself once and for all and play at his natural position instead of being shoehorned into backup SG minutes (doesn't it seem like his recent decline coincided with the switch to SG minutes?).

Whatever investment we've made in KCP in money or time is a sunk cost. Leuer's contract is a sunk cost. Our needs at the power forward position are no more important than our need was at the SG position. I think the moves the front office has made are totally rational.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    The Panda and roscoe36 like this.
  14. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Wasn't it Harris he went to the bench for?

roscoe36 likes this.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You guys are acting like he wasn't our best player.

roscoe36 likes this.
  16. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

What could the front office have done differently this offseason to make you happy?

What can I do differently to make you happy?

17. roscoe36

Perhaps you have heard of Aron Baynes?

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

They could have got a PF instead of a 3rd string PG. They could have cleared the riff raff (Leuer) to resign our best player at way less than the max. Could have drafted a position of need.

Let's be honest... kennard is going to be carrying bags and getting the donuts.

Could have traded dre for jordan... a huge defensive upgrade and more efficient player.

roscoe36 likes this.
  19. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Generally people will refer to the SG and SF as 'wings'.

He may end up upset at his agent and in the same situation as Dion Waiters 2 years ago.

Was he our best player? I don't think so. He certainly wasn't the most 'impactful' player - that crown goes to Dre and Reggie. He was also incredibly inconsistent.

As much as I loved watching KCP put his all out on the defensive end, Avery is a serious upgrade on both sides of the court.

We just gave up the centre equivalent of Boban to get back a Deandre Jordan. I see nothing not to like.

tirtep and roscoe36 like this.
  20. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

The Wiz will match Brooklyns max offer for Porter so KCP is probably next on their list. They did just trade for Carrolls salary and a pick so not sure how much they can bid now. The only competitors to Nets for KCP are probably Lakers who wants him on a 1 year deal and ATL. Will this end up like it did for George Hill who misread the market and declined 80M/4y from Jazz and ended up with less as a FA?

The cap going down from the estimated 109M to 99M is making this offseason interesting.

roscoe36 likes this.