1. PF.com is also on Facebook. Follow/Like us Here.
    Dismiss Notice

MSU 2016 MSU Football- B1G Champions

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Darth Tater, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

This is going to be an interesting year. A rebuilding year? I don't like the schedule one bit despite getting OSU and Michigan at home. That week 2 Bye is an absolute joke and worse than no bye at all, IMO. The Spartans play some chumps who they should beat no matter how disorganized they are in week 1. Then they sit around for a week eating bon bons while getting ready for ND. N do. Not North Dakota. The REAL ND. When so you work the kinks out. When do you get to rest up those injuries late in the year? ( Not that it did any good against Nebraska). A terrific 2015 ended on a very sour note but no big deal (to me). Hopefully, MSU doesn't take a step backward but with no Cook, Conklin, etc. I'm anticipating some struggles. Who will be the QB? Still, sone good recruiting and remaining talent should help ease some of the growing pains.

roscoe36 likes this.
  2. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

roscoe36 likes this.
  3. Darth Tater

The polls are always fun but we know the early ones are worthless. I think to be fair the AP and coaches poll should start at ground zero for everyone.

I still believe this will be a tough season for S. Hopefully it is a fun one. That is really all that counts. Last year was the best ever for me.

4. detteam

detteam All-Star

Another Kitna plans to play football in the state of Michigan.

Waxahachie (Texas) senior quarterback Jordan Kitna, the son of former Detroit Lions quarterback Jon Kitna, tweeted around 10:30 a.m. today that he had committed to play football at Michigan State. A picture on Twitter showed him wearing a Spartans hat and a green Nike T-shirt with the words “Go Green Go White” in white.

Jordan Kitna (6 feet, 201 pounds) was listed as a two-star recruit by 247sports.com. He will walk on at MSU.
    Jon Kitna, Waxahachie’s head football coach, told the Free Press today that he didn’t have any familiarity with MSU coach Mark Dantonio or his staff from his playing days.

The interest in MSU began happening in November and December.

“We had seen some things on them, so similar to philosophy and culture we’re trying to create at the high school level,” Jon Kitna said in a phone interview. “Similar to what Jordan has grown up around.

“Just the character, the family feel, not putting so much importance on what the world says is important, and how they kind of recruit backward almost. They’re not going to get caught up in all the things of the world.”

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...2/03/kitna-msu-football-quarterback/79759598/

roscoe36 likes this.
  5. Nemo

Nemo Over 60 Club Forum Donor

6. Darth Tater

7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

How can anyone know how tough a schedule will be when the rosters aren't set yet?

round likes this.
  8. Darth Tater

You don't. Nobody stated it as fact.But you usually look at the names of teams and how they've done over the past few years you get a pretty darned good idea. If you took Notre Dame and BYU off the MSU schedule and replaced them with your Eastern Michigan's and your Youngstown's States what would YOU say? I remember a couple years ago I saw Alabama on the Michigan schedule and was like "are they nuts?" Although I respected their cajones.

Michigan's roster isn't set but they've already been predicted as a playoff team by some. I agree they have a pretty good shot. Their roster isn't set.

So it is a loaded question. Nobody except Wiggles can "KNOW" but they sure as fire can make a pretty good guess in most cases. I looked at the MSU schedule this year and thought the same and said so in this forum more than once. So?

roscoe36 likes this.
  9. detteam

detteam All-Star

Antonio Brown shattered the world record for one-handed catches in a minute. Captain Kirk delivered, again!

Nemo and roscoe36 like this.
  10. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion

That record looks really beatable.
    I'd use two QBs to get more balls thrown at me.

11. Darth Tater

I don't think YOU could beat him with three. :wedgie:

roscoe36 likes this.
  12. Darth Tater

They are making a big issue of Connor Cook not being a team captain. I bet if they knew it would be an issue they would have made him a captain even if he didn't deserve it. It is really going to hurt him it appears.There was probably a good reason they didn't but you cannot help but wonder what it was. You never heard anything bad about him. What a shame.

13. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I read it on the Ohio State board I think last fall (I avoid all threads Mich related to save my sanity, but its a good site to get big ten in general news) and sounds like he wasn't really liked by his own team mates, he has great talent but was quite the jerk, take the source into the thought process though....

If you are the QB you need to be the leader and folks will follow, look how fast Wilson was made caption at Wisconsin...... A summer on campus and training camp was all it took for the team to vote him to it...

roscoe36 likes this.
  14. Nemo

Connor Cook has the most talent of any QB ever to play at MSU.
    Having stated that...I also believe that his predecessor had more leadership skills.
    The Culture has changed at MSU...and that will now dictate the tone for the players there to follow.
    Connor Cook will be drafted high...just not in the 1st round anymore.
    The Alabama loss may have affected his stock as much as anything.

roscoe36 likes this.
  15. round

I wonder if beating Ohio State without him actually hurt his draft status too... Till then State was winning game after game on his arm and it looked like it was Cook winning every game, alot of those game were alot closer then they should have been. Then they won a game without him that most thought they could lose. Not fair to say, but it might have lowered his stock while raising the rest of the teams...

Nemo likes this.
  16. Nemo

Excellent points...but the OSU coach looked like coach Cooper that day.

roscoe36 likes this.
  17. Darth Tater

I dunno. Sounds like he is a pretty big jerk. Does that matter in the NFL? I thought you could beat your wife, rape a girlfriend, murder an associate, cheat on taxes, etc.. Almost anything but fight a dog as far as fans were concerned.

But the old saying says " you don't sh...err crap where you eat". So maybe if you're a quarterback and your teammates think you're a weenie it just won't work. Though it seemed to in college. Then again, ask Chip Kelly about the transition and how it works. I don't know. I'm not a football guru.

I agree that it has likely adversely affected his draft status. Will somebody therefore get a bargain? I have no clue how this works out. Brett Farvre ( not saying Cook has anywhere near his talent) was a di...Errr...exposed his di...errr wasn't a good person but maybe he was ok to his teammates.

I think all the criticism is warranted. I personally would give him a shot given the alternatives available if I were the Eagles who draft #13 and are desperate. They've made MUCH dumber choices in tge 3rd round. Ulif Cook sinks to late first or worse I say grab him. Unless you have serious concerns with his ability. Anybow, sometimes Karma comes back to bite you and it looks like his teammates passed him over. Which is kind of a feather in THEIR cap and the organization as a whole. Integrity!

We never heard much about Cook. I greatly appreciated him but never "liked" or "disliked" him.He was law abiding to our knowledge but his attitude may translate to a big loss of $$. Oh well. Serves him right if so. I'm not going to make excuses for him because he was the best QB in team history. It's too bD. Especially following in Cousins footsteps he probably looked even worse. He thought he would not fill his shoes on the field. Ironically, he or than filled his shoes in that regard. It was off the field that he could not fill his shoes. And we can only assume he was a pretty big jerk. If he has the NFL skills will it affect his performance if his teammates do not like if him he has the NFL skills will it affect his performance if his teammates do not like him? The NFL seems to believe that may be the case. Perhaps so.

roscoe36 likes this.
  18. round

I only watched one or two state games a year over the last x amount of years... but I still rate cousins higher because at the QB postiton its not all ability but the package of skill and leadership... I would probably take a flyer on Cook from the late 3rd round on though if I needed a QB.

19. Darth Tater

Me too. Cousins > Cook .

But I still think I would draft Cook. I cannot say for sure any of the guys this year have better skills. I place a lot of personal emphasis on character.I don't know how a couple of quarterbacks relate to their teammates in the NFL I know of at least two studs that I question their ethics. But their skills would be very tough to match. Again maybe I am talking apples and oranges when I say this. I will mention one where it won't upset anyone here. I woukdn't give you two cents for Ben Raplesberger as a person but I DO know how skilled he is. Maybe he's a great locker room guy/leader. But I don't see how anyone can respect him "irregardless". But I wish he were the Eagles QB based on what they have now (although the jury IS still out on Sam Bradford. It would be hypocritical of me to stick up for Connor cook because he is from Michigan State. I don't like when other people do it with their pro teams or colleges.

20. Nemo