1. PF.com is also on Facebook. Follow/Like us Here.
    Dismiss Notice

2016-1017 Piston Scoreboard

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Buckeyes#1, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 Team Captain Forum Donor

View: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tjqc9auPoKKaiwzjkO2mwlrcmotso6vg02RQ3mlwab4/edit#gid=0

Doing a little experiment here. If you are interested in competing with each other in this scoreboard where you predict the Piston game score, type in your name and prediction. We can try it for four games. If you like it, we can continue it if there are enough participants. And if we don't like it, no big deal. :)

You can type any score in right now to test it out. You have until tip off to change your predictions.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    roscoe36 likes this.
  2. Buckeyes#1

HOW DOES THE SCOREBOARD CALCULATE THE SCORES?

Each prediction is a point. Each final score is a second point. In Algebra 2, you learned the exact distance between two points can be calculated using the distance formula. Therefore the scoreboard is measuring the exact distance between your prediction and the final score. The person with the best prediction for each game will have the shortest distance to the actual final score. The scoreboard instantaneously calculates the distance for each of your predictions and also instantaneously adds all of your predictions together. Whoever has the shortest distance for each game is the winner of that game. And whoever has the shortest cumulative distance is the leader at that point in the contest.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  3. Buckeyes#1

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I can't edit the last game yet.

5. Buckeyes#1

You should be able to now. I copied my Big Ten Scoreboard to make this one and you can see by my Big Ten Scoreboard, they can only enter this weekends games (the first three). If this were the real season, I would change the Piston Scoreboard so you can enter as many games as you desire at one time. But I would have it so the scoreboard would only add the columns up to the current game so it would make our comparisons meaningful. Then right before the next game begins, I would add that game's distance. And since the season is quite long, no doubt each one of us may run into a few games where we can't get our scores in on time. I'd have the scoreboard drop, lets say, our three lowest predictions. That way if someone somehow misses up to three games, those three games will be the ones the scoreboard drops.

Once the game begins, I immediately lock up that games predictions so nobody could change their predictions for that game. Although honestly, I think I do that for my own piece of mind so I can say I can guarantee nobody has done that. But in several years of doing that, I've never had one cheater participate do something like that. Everyone has been easy to work with and has respected their peers by not cheating or changing their scores. And I could easily change the settings so nobody could change anyone else's predictions. I just never went to that level of security which would require people to give me an email. But that option is available if we wanted to go that far.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    roscoe36 likes this.
  6. Buckeyes#1

I just changed it so the scoreboard is NOT adding up games 2, 3, and 4. Then when game 2 is set to begin, I will tell the scoreboard to include game 2 predictions. I'll do the same for games 3 and 4 so somebody could enter all four games right now like you did, if they wanted to.

roscoe36 likes this.
  7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

so if team A beats team B by 4 points
    and player C predicts 101 to 95 and player D predicts 96 to 90 it is a tie
    however if team A wins 94 to 90 then player D wins as his score only 2pt from exact ?

roscoe36 likes this.
  8. Buckeyes#1

I put your scenario into the scoreboard for the second game using names Player C and Player D. PlayerD would be exactly two units off and Player C would be exactly 8.6 units off. And the computer is even more accurate than 8.6 because I told it to round for visual purposes only but in reality the computer is not rounding. The computer is measuring the exact distance each prediction is off. Not rounded distance.

The distance formula is so exact we can shoot a missile out of the sky with another missile. Pretty amazing.

9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

how do those other players have a distance of 133

10. Buckeyes#1

Teaching right now. I'll get back to you this afternoon.

11. Buckeyes#1

The reason why they had a distance of 130.1 is because you asked about a game with a final score of 94 to 90. So I entered that 94 to 90 as a final score so you could see it. The people that didn't give a prediction still had a prediction of 0 to 0. Therefore their prediction of (0,0) and the actual score (94,90) has a distance between them of 130.1. I've since erased that prediction of 94 to 90.

There's probably a good chance that we won't do it beyond the four games. I thought there would be more interest in it than there actually is. No biggie. I didn't put much work into it at all. I'd rather find out now that the interest is too low than to spend a lot of time building one for the season and then finding out. It's all good. Saves me a lot of time if there's not enough interest. lol

12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 5x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Euclid would be proud.

roscoe36 and Buckeyes#1 like this.
  13. Buckeyes#1

Thanks. I appreciate that.

My favorite one I came up with is using the distance formula to buy a used car. I start out asking the kids, what's the perfect price for a used car? One says about a $1,000. Eventually the light bulb goes off in someone's mind and they say 0! To which I say yes! I then ask what is the perfect mileage for a used car? Someone soon says 0 miles! To which I say yes!

I then tell them they more than likely are not going to get a new car for free but (0,0) represents that perfect car. I then label the x axis price and the y axis mileage. I start hitting the smart board with a bunch of dots (points), each dot representing a used car. I then ask them how can they tell which car is the best car based on those two criteria? Immediately someone will blurt out, the point closest to (0,0), the perfect car. I then say EXACTLY. So for each car I look at, I put a price in the price column and a mileage in the mileage column. I tell the computer to do the distance formula and wallah. The smallest distance to the perfect car is the best one (based on price and mileage only). Obviously there are others considerations but those two are the most important.

The thing that fascinates me about the Scoreboard is I can change the game score as the game goes along and the computer immediately calculates the exact distance each of our predictions are off. Pretty stinkin cool that distance formula.

BillLaimbeer likes this.
  14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

We need to get @junior@junior up in this nerdfest.

BillLaimbeer likes this.
  15. Buckeyes#1

C'mon Boys. Loosen up. Have some fun. Jump on board. You're not afraid of a Buckeye with four years of NBA knowledge rust showing you up are ya? It's just for fun. I've been doing this for several years with Big Ten guys. Those guys pay me $200,000 a year to participate. I'm offering it to you for free. But wait. There's more. If you will enter your predictions today for tonight's game only, you might win the grand prize. I wouldn't even offer this competition to you if it wasn't fun. It takes some work on my part. But I don't mind cause it's fun.

You don't need to enter the predictions of all four games. Just the next game. That's the only game that matters. That's the only game in town. Other than solitaire.

16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I'm in. Butt
    Move the spread sheet to it's own thread/page. [better http setup]. It jumps around here.
    Make the instructions work for a 3rd grader, you know for Tate.

17. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

so total points in the scenario was 134 or 133.9 even though both had 0.0 ?

18. Buckeyes#1

Awesome! Looking for just three more people! Eight is great!

Lee 356. Where are you? This competition has your name written all over it.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  19. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 5x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Thee put his entry above the contest (in row #1). You may need more protected cells....

coynejeremy likes this.
  20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I didn't understand the "working" notes and that upper slot let me write there.
    OK I put in some numbers
    Firefox was blocking outdated Adobe plugin