1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

2014 Pistons Summer League

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

KCP has a second gear he can get to in transition.

roscoe36 likes this.
  2. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

That's high praise. We are slow to dish that out except to the very best.

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  3. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Detroit vs Houston observations:

- The Pontiff looked damn good. Active on defense and aggressive on offense. I hope that he's raised his game to a point where Ron Jeremy feels that he has to start him.

- Zeke feels that Tony Mitchell is a SF. He mentioned this about 6 times. He kept comparing him to T-Mac.

- Siva looked a little loose to me. He dribbled into traffic and lost it a few times. He also tends to leave his feet while making passes.

- That Johnson kid for the Rockets looked like a baller. Hopefully Dinwiddie is better. Being able to read wi help.

- Where was Jorts?

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think Jorts is too old for sl.

5. Ernie the Slow Adult

What happened to Jorts? It's like he lost a leg.

6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Rick Kamala: "KCP has been the best player here so far."

Good thing we didn't commit a lot of money to that position this offseason, LOL!

S.J. and kpaav like this.
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Now we have too many good players ...

coynejeremy, del, S.J. and 1 other person like this.
  8. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

I think its a good thing to finally have competition.

BillLaimbeer likes this.
  9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

KCP time>>> 30 pts, 12 boards, Siva 12 pts and 7 dimes

Pistons win 85-82

roscoe36 likes this.
  10. Ernie the Slow Adult

I like this Liggins kid. He looks like he can cover 2's and 3's.

Can he sit in the corner and hit some 3's?

kpaav likes this.
  11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Combined 2 game thoughts.

Siva. Went where he wanted. Johnson did give him some trouble in the Houston game, but note that big run to start the game was with Johnson trying to slow Siva unsuccessfully. Siva hit midrangers when left open, finished plenty at the basket in all.

Pope. He started out in the first game getting to the hoop and making free throws. Before he was done, he was knocking down 3's, making his hoops close in, still hitting his free throws, and making some midrangers off his own moves. Lots of steals and rebounds. Pretty obviously the player of the first two days of the league.

Mitchell. Our 2 best runs, a combined 40-8, or so, combining the shortly after the opening of the first game with the openening of the 3rd quarter in the 2nd game, was with Mitchell in. Along with all the starters, including Liggins, Cook, Siva, Pope, and Mitchell. He definitely plays bigger than any other players out there. We press for him to be part of the offense inside, but I do not know if he really needs to do any more than clean up work around the basket along with the occasional dunk. His defensive presence is good enough for him to be out there without asking much more of him. But he did show some skill around the basket for scoring, and some ability at the line.

Cook. Looked real good when he made a couple of threes to open the first game. After that, he went very, very cold. Finally, when we really needed it, he knocked down a three late in the 2nd game after missing a ton of shots. (Why? They finally quit guarding him close since he missed all those shots after hitting the first couple in game one. So, he has shown no actual ability to shoot when checked.) Chris Watford is competing for his spot. As is Ohlbrecht as far as being part of our bigs situation. Watford hit some shots, Ohlbrecht did not look that bad inside, but for the most part, when our starters were out, guys like Watford and Ohlbrecht showed little ability to hold the fort.

Justin Harper looked real good for a stretch in the 4th quarter of the 2nd game, smoothly hitting his outside shots, and getting inside for a score.

No comments on the other players who played, other than noting the Pistons lead the whole thing after two days, so you have to give the bench some credit.

No comment on Liggins really accept that again, he was out there when our defense looked good.

Dinwiddie is not playing, coming off an ACL injury, as I am sure most of you know.

max, The Panda and kpaav like this.
  12. BallDon'tLie

Memphis game observations:

- Pope went nuts once again. He kinda reminds me of Spellcheck a little bit. He's ultra active and has a nose for the ball. I'm liking this dude a lot! It's still early but he's already developed his game more in a year than Stuckey did in 7 seasons.

- Siva played better. He was more in control and made better decisions than he did against H-town. I like the fact that he's not allergic to rebounding like other Piston PGs.

- I'm bummed on Mitchell's play so far. He had a few bright spots but he seems a 1/2 second behind the play at all times. He hasn't scored high on the body language meter either.

- The rest of this roster is pretty bad. Without Pope, these guys would be getting KILLED.
    Brian Cook needs a hug. ...poor guy.

The Panda, LA Dre and roscoe36 like this.
  13. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Rusty Brian Cook was 1-9 from beyond the arc.....that won't work on this team unless especially if we still have Josh and Jennings chucking it up under 30% from downtown.

I too did not notice anything special from Mitchell....he will really need to impress the rest of the week to be retained especially if they are able to get an added veteran asset from somewhere else.

14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

It's just Summer League, but when you consider how poorly KCP played in Orl last year, this is refreshing!

15. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

KCP does anything he wants and usually with good results. Meeks and him will make a very formidable pair that will apply continuous pressure up and down throughout next season. Like I mentioned before, it nice to see this confidence level from Pope. This will come in handy when he switches positions from 2 to 1 and perhaps a three. SVG needs to start him out right and give him good playing time at multiple positions.

Siva can take pressure and it shows. No choking in the fourth quarter from this guy.

Harper (next to Pope) has the best stroke on this club.

Mitchell is not having an outstanding series. Going to be close for him this season.

16. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good comparison. Actually, right after KCP was drafted, Lee said "Well, we just drafted AA, again."

roscoe36 and The Panda like this.
  17. max

max All-Star

Looks like Pope and Siva may be the rookies we never had last year. I always liked Siva when he played and seemed like he just needed exra mins to show what he could do.

18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Siva needed extra GAME to show what he could do. The boy didn't have the goods last season and was a D-League player at best. That said, if he can get develop a consistent 3-ball he may be good enough to make a roster somewhere.

basketbills likes this.
  19. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Somewhere in a different country.

roscoe36 and coynejeremy like this.
  20. BallDon'tLie

Siva needs to become a deadly shooter if he's going to have a place in the NBA,
    He has everything else that the needs.

roscoe36 likes this.