1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

2013/2014 Pistons news and Happenings

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Jun 24, 2013.

1. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

3. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

He's going to turn Jennings into a good PG just like Mo Cheeks and Scott Skiles did.

linwood, roscoe36 and Walter like this.
  4. max

max All-Star

What else do they have to report on? Besides whats really going on with Monroe - oh wait that would take some actual investigative work.

Walter likes this.
  5. BillLaimbeer

I don't mind the topic. It's actually a good one. But interview someone. Get at least one freakin' quote from Jennings, Hardaway, Hooper, Bowser, etc.

roscoe36 likes this.
  6. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

Moreover. The word on the street was that Jennings and Cheeks were very close, and that Jennings was one of the few players upset that he was canned. In fact, If I recall, Jennings publicly stated his love and appreciation of Cheeks. Thus, to say otherwise is very striking and should be accompanied with some quotes and or other information. Or, more likely, the premise was conjecture and a poorly thought out idea. Man, I wish Zach Lowe was the Pistons beat writer. In fact, what a great idea for grantland. Put Lowe as a beat writer and that can be a long term story - the death of the local newspaper and what used to be when local reporters dug deap and had access / created relationships with players / teams.

brofmfa, linwood, The Panda and 2 others like this.
  7. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

This makes our bench top 20.

Pwn Toney and roscoe36 like this.
  9. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

In the East

del and roscoe36 like this.
  10. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I disagree.
    I don't think these two signing have any impact at all.

I think that if you looked back throughout the history of professional sports, you'd be hard pressed to find two roster transactions that were less significant than these.
    In fact, these two move are so unbelievably boring that while I'm typing this, I'm finding it challenging to just stay awa... :sleep:zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

raxrets, brofmfa and Nemo like this.
  11. max

max All-Star

Alright, top 22 then.

coynejeremy and roscoe36 like this.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Just did a quick youtube search and he has a lot of highlights.

roscoe36 and BallDon'tLie like this.
  13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Summer obviously lasts way too long. Arguing whether our bench is top 20 vs top 22 has to be a new low around here. (By the way, the correct answer is top 18, at least I see some got close.)

Since there seems nothing better to do, I am going to start examining last season, with particular emphasis on how bad our big 3 were when playing together. Please note, if these three are together, hey, there are still 2 other guys on the floor who have something to do about how good the Pistons do. So here we go.

Nov 1, 2013. We lose to Memphis. Drummond, Smith, and Monroe start up front. The other two starters? Bynum and Billups. Bynum can not defend, ever. Billups was way too slow to guard anyone in this game. Billups could not shoot the ball. We just lost by 3, despite these and other major handicaps Dumars foisted on us. In addition to having an injured Billups around, and a guy like Bynum who has no business playing NBA ball, this game also saw Singler playing small forward, not being able to guard the position, and JJ playing 7 minutes at power forward, going minus 7 in those 7 minutes. JJ has no business at all playing power forward in this league. Between minus 3 for Singler, minus 11 for Bynum, minus 7 for JJ, a minus for Billups too, all players played where they did not belong, its amazing we stayed in the game. So how did we?

Our big 3 put up major numbers in scoring and rebounding. In addition, the guy so many love to hate around here, Stuckey, scored 19 and was plus 14 in the game. Yes, our management is so proud of letting Stuckey go, the guy who so often in the early season last year made us compete in the games.

Oh, Pope had a very solid game in short minutes going plus 8.

In all, we had 5 guys out there, who belonged out there, giving us a chance to win the game. Monroe, Drummond, Stuckey, Pope, and Smith belonged in the game. But to counter that, we have four guys with no business in the game, Bynum, Billups, Singler, and JJ. (Now JJ could have been useful playing some small forward in this game, something that happened way too little last season. Which is pretty crazy, as you would think a team losing all season would at least try something different. Oh, tanking.)

So we begin the theme. Probably in this one, the big front line did not do much dominating, but hey, look who they had out on the floor with them. And our bench, where the 3 bigs were not playing together, did not do too bad since Stuckey and Pope had decent games. Lets see what happened the next game.

Well, our next loss was to Indiana. I will just look over the losses, since we are trying to find problems. On Nov 3, we lost to Indiana 99-91, putting us at 2-2 for the season. In this one, as always, our bigs started together. Smith was minus 28, as George was Indiana's nearly sole scoring threat for this game. Perhaps George is a bad matchup for Smith. Anyway, in the opposite direction, we see a crazy stat, where Singler and Datome go a combined 4-14 on shooting and yet go plus 44 in a combined 39 minutes. Our starters basically got slaughtered in both the 1st and 3rd quarters while our bench kept getting us back in the game.

Of note, Pope only played 4 minutes in this game. Billups started with Jennings. Jennings coming off injury, and Billups being Billups, still injured at this point of the season but playing anyway. Yes, our 3 bigs did poorly, but look at who started in the backcourt. Stuckey was well minus in this one, and yet our bench did well. I will continue this some other day. Lots of summer to go yet. Darn.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    max likes this.
  14. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Yes.

junior likes this.
  15. BillLaimbeer

I think that gives us one too many players under contract now:

1. Jennings
    2. Meeks
    3. Singler
    4. Smith
    5. Drummond
    -----------------
    6. Augustin
    7. KCP
    8. Butler
    9. Jerebko
    10. Monroe
    ----------------
    11. Dinwiddie
    12. Datome
    13. Martin
    14. Mitchell
    15. Gray
    ------------------
    16. Bynum

16. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't know if I can emotionally handle Lee rehashing last season.

Walter, kpaav, BallDon'tLie and 2 others like this.
  17. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Everybody in the bottom five will need to prove that they belong ...the odd man out will have to be released no matter how much his contract is worth unless we can trade for a future pick or trade 2 to get one back that is better.....

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm guessing that the nba won't care that we have an extra player. It will probably go unnoticed.

Nemo, BallDon'tLie, raxrets and 2 others like this.
  19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

While there is a cap hold for Monroe, we do not have him under contract.

20. BillLaimbeer

Good point, although it looks like he will be signing the qualifying offer to play one more season in Detroit.

roscoe36 likes this.