1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

2013/2014 Pistons news and Happenings

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Jun 24, 2013.

1. max

max All-Star

Does it have to be 4 years? Maybe he can sign for 3 with an option to leave after the 2nd. His agent still wants a max deal apparently.

2. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

If those are the two options, you take the $40m every time. It's a big risk playing a year on the qualifying offer and hoping that the market is better next year.

I'd be happy if Detroit struck a 2 or 3 year deal with a player option. You know he will most likely turn it down, but it is much better than only signing him for one year

3. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I'm figuring somebody else will lowball him first.
    They know that JD isn't here to offer big bucks right away.

roscoe36 likes this.
  4. del

del Team Captain Forum Donor

His agent still can't think that anyone is going to offer him the max now. It's obvious people see what we do, that he is a good low post player and that is about it.

I mentioned in an earlier post somewhere else that he needs to develop a jump shot or he will never be on a team in a position to win a championship unless he comes off the bench. And he thinks he is a max player, so the only teams that will offer him that are teams not in the race. This is because he needs to be in exactly the right team make-up for him and without that jump shot, no one is going want him.

His one-on-one D isn't too bad, but he needs to be playing as C next to a PF that can block, in a better defensive system (at least than the sieves we put out). On offence he needs to just have the ball dumped down into him and in his hands for too long. Not the way the game is played much these days, but a useful scorer off the bench.

If he develops that jumper his passing comes into play on the elbow and he becomes a much more dangerous player. I just can't see him developing it.

max likes this.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He's a good rebounder and a way above average passer for a big. Like Smith, I think Monroe's value might have been hidden a bit last season.

6. max

max All-Star

Falk wants the extra money to pay for the new addition to his beach front cottage - you dont expect him to dig into savings for that do you? The Price for Monroe is a max contract!!!

del likes this.
  7. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Falk is losing face. Not a very good position to be in and for sure, the longer this goes on, the more pieces he has of Monroe to pick up.

Nemo and kpaav like this.
  8. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Moose should fire his agent.

Also, this is his first big contract. He's to smart to risk only signing the qualifying offer. It's a safe bet to say he'll be back next year. The question is, how happy will he be about it.

roscoe36 likes this.
  9. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

That Hibbert contract might be scaring people away from offering one-dimensional bigs the max contract.

del, The Panda and roscoe36 like this.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If moose deserves a max contract, then clearly the max contact level is set too low.

del and roscoe36 like this.
  11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

roscoe36 likes this.
  12. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I'm sure that Falk is looking at this long term; next year (by my count) there are about fifteen to eighteen teams that will have the cap space to max out players, and there aren't any Lebrons, Boshes, or melos coming onto the market. I doubt most execs expected the market to blow up this July like it did, and that hurt Monroe's contract possibilities. This shouldn't happen again next year, and the market would be much softer for guys like him as a result. Waiting to sign a long term deal undoubtedly has the biggest upside for Moose.

There are three major caveats to that, though.

The first risk is the possibility of injury. The thing with Monroe is that he's not exactly an explosive player so he doesn't put an unusual amount of strain on his body the way guys like Drummond or Smith do. This is a low-risk gamble.

The second risk is that he doesn't fit well into SVGs system and his numbers take a hit. Moose's value relies primarily on those numbers, since he's not an amazing defensive player and isn't particularly athletic. If those drop due to usage rate, either he loses out or starts to take a little more "initiative" offensively, leading to a subtle but team crushing revolt. I honestly don't know which I'd expect to see more.

The third danger, similar to the second in that it has to do with his role, would be if he was asked to come off the bench. I think this is the most likely possibility given that Moose is a one-way big man fighting for playing time against another player at his same natural position that the team is clearly building itself around. Would you be willing to come off the bench if it would in all probability cost you tens of millions of dollars? I wouldn't be happy about that, and I wouldn't expect Monroe's camp to be happy about that idea, either. I don't know if it's a team killer, but it's the biggest threat to next year's rebuilding process.

But Falk, Monroe, and SVG are all smart guys. I'm sure they all know this and know that each other knows this, so at this point it's a waiting game for Falk and Monroe to see if another team comes along and changes who actually has the leverage in these negotiations (the Pistons have nearly all of it right now). I don't think Monroe takes the qualifying offer, and I don't think the Pistons max him, either. I think you'll see Moose sign a three- or four-year $11-$12M/year contract with an opt-out clause (probably after year 2 to get in on that sweet new TV money). I think that works the best for all sides.

Walter, brofmfa and The Panda like this.
  13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

But will that be good for the Pistons?

14. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yes.

brofmfa and roscoe36 like this.
  15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I was wondering that, too. If Drummond plays well, it will help elevate him to All-Star status, perhaps give him some confidence, and possibly create more buzz for the Pistons as we now have an actual franchise-caliber player to build around.

brofmfa, kpaav, junior and 1 other person like this.
  16. The Panda

This is just classic risk v reward.

Monroe's market (just like Bledsoe) took a hit when the Piston's jawboned that they would match any offer. Remember than in RFA if you make an offer to a player, you then take on that contract in cap hold. The other team then has 3 days to match plus they can as for another 2 days to perform a medical. That's 5 days of free agency where you have $Xm tied up which you cannot assign to other players. The reason that these guys didn't get offers early on is simply because there were good UFAs on the market which were going to go first and no one wanted to waste 3-5 days on Bledsoe/Monroe getting re-signed while these other guys went to other teams.

roscoe36, Laimbrane and BillLaimbeer like this.
  17. The Panda

As an addendum

Firstly, sorry for the stupid spelling/grammar mistakes. I get so angry at myself when I look back at posts and see that I have completely derped a sentence.

Secondly, I think that the whole Monroe/Bledsoe are going to get suckered into low price contracts is a mostly manufactured storyline, more so for Moose. I believe there is enough information out there to support the notion that Moose wants to move on - which is fair enough, I'd get sick of being on a losing team too. Bledsoe has directed a few jabs at Phoenix too (Twitter / judefox10: Eric Bledsoe made first public ...) indicating that he may wish to move on to greener pastures. But the market is cooling now, particularly with regard to the available talent pool. Greg Monroe and Bledsoe are probably the two top 'Free Agents' remaining, and I don't think it is really that close. Talent always attracts bidders.

There are exceptions of course. The most relevant of these is probably Millsap. On paper, him and Monroe are fairly comparable. Their play style is different, but overall, the level of talent they bring to a team is fairly similar. Millsap got left out in the cold by the Jazz and ended up signing for 2/18. Looking at that contract now, it is probably the best value contract of last year without exception.

I guess my point to this rant is twofold;
    A) I think people have already contacted the Pistons about S&T opportunities
    B) I think that there are offers floating around pending the outcome of those discussions.

At this point, the odds on Monroe actually playing under the 1 year qualifying offer are extremely low. I still think PF.com is on point and that he will end up around the 4/50 mark. I definitely do not think he will sign a 2 year deal - then he will be competing with epic free agents (Lebron/Love/Durant etc) in 2016. That's silly.

Walter and roscoe36 like this.
  18. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I think that's the reason he signs with an opt out clause. If everyone is anticipating that FA class and as a result teams have more cap space than can hold those guys... Well let's just say that Dumars wasn't the only gm that couldn't control himself with money to spend.

roscoe36 likes this.
  19. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Good points. For sure, Monroe wants big money (biggest, if possible), a long contract and out of Detroit. He does not fit into SVG's style of play. Feed back from SVG is leaking out and Josh should be gearing up for a great season. Looks like a S/T has been completed, with a number of possibilities, providing Falk really starts representing his client (FAME only has six representative players).

roscoe36 likes this.
  20. max

max All-Star

I think the opt out clause is more of a bluff by SVG. I cant see forcing a guy to stay here for a year knowing he is looking for a way out ASAP. Not good for team chemistry. No one wants that. Almost be better to just cut him.