2013/2014 Pistons news and Happenings

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Jun 24, 2013.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Our front line was -20, -22 and -26. Also, Pope Hope was -14.

Based on this one game, I would say our season is over.
  2. linwood

linwood All-Star

I tend to agree. I'm just not sure who should get the most blame for this failed season, the coach, the GM, or the backup guards.
  3. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

It's the coach. He didn't play Jorts enough.
    linwood likes this.
  4. roscoe36

You guys are obviously being silly. It's all Will Bynum's fault.
    Mossberg likes this.
  5. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

He did actually play horribly in this one. :whistling:

During the game I got an uncomfortable thought that Jennings is going to be our most important player this season. I know it's early but Siva and Bynum looked totally outmatched against first string opponents. And we can't expect Billups (or Stuckey) to carry this team from the point.

With no effective PG running the show our bigs were forced into taking way too many outside jumpers for lack of better options in a winding down shot clock. The Bulls D had much to do with that, but that's the level we need to get to.

I'm remaining positive though. :amen:
  6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I'll say it yet again. Its the Bynum effect. Bynum plays much, the team gets totally disorganized. I find it amazing that Siva could get things back together enough to get to even for himself.
  7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Our poor front line guys had Bynum as the starter. Of course they were minus. How can you overcome that?

By the way, to start the game, real early any way, Pope was minus 3 when running along side Bynum. But he was plus 2 running along side Siva over the next ten minutes. So, yes, we got behind Chicago in that first half. But, with Bynum out of the picture, and with Chicago playing its best players and doing its darndest - Pope was playing winning basketball.
  8. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

:boink:
  9. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

We lost because Stuckey wasn't available to play.......
  10. vincy4fish98

vincy4fish98 Bench Warmer

Guys, I know last night's outing was bad, but you know what? This team is not as bad as we may think they are or as good as we may have hoped. They may find their identity during the course of the season. I mean what do you expect, this is a new team with a new coach, and they are all learning each other's tendencies, while Chicago looked like they have been playing together forever, even with Rose being out for a year and a half. Let's give it some time and enjoy how our new pieces will develop.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Chicago was good without Rose. With him, we don't really have a chance yet.

With Bynum running the show, we obviously do best when he's a threat to get to the rim. That then opens up his kick outs and alley oops. But with Noah in there, WB wasn't much of a threat. Our secondary option seemed to be letting Monroe take the wide open J from the FT line extended. CHI was more than happy to keep letting him turn the ball over by throwing it against the rim.

If he starts hitting that shot more often, that should open some things up for us. Looks like he's capable... maybe as he gets into better shape over the next couple months.
  12. roscoe36

I caught some of the game, Rose looked amazing to be honest. And yes the front line was minus playing with Will, they were all even more minus than Will. That's probably his fault too though.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Drummond's FT technique looked much improved to me. His brain is still forming, so there is reason to believe that he can actually build fundamentals at this stage. He probably practiced all summer on these.

Smith didn't appear to be playing hard IMO. It's a preseason game, and Billups isn't even playing at all, so it's hard to blame him. But he is on a new team, so you'd think there would be some desire to establish himself.

Mitchell really seems raw to me. He looked like a guy that has never played with refs or designed plays before. Just sloppy fundamentals to an extreme degree. But his pogo sticking was amazing. There was one play in particular where he lept out of the crowd 3 straight times to touch the ball (to no avail). Quick second jump though, which is Rodman-like.
  14. Walter

This game was the "Welcome back to the game Derrick Rose" party. We just played the part of Washington Generals for it. The whole thing was about letting the Bulls crowd go crazy about seeing Rose back in action. I don't worry about the outcome.
  15. linwood

linwood All-Star

Drummond's free throws looked much improved. Hopefully, he can still improve and make more of those when it counts.

As far as Smith and Co, I'm not going to read too much into a preseason game either. I do think that with Bynum and Siva trying to run the show against Derick freaking Rose and the defensive powerhouse that is the Chicago Bulls. Those guys are on a different level than us right now, and I don't expect our backup-backup guards, some kids, and Josh Smith to be able to compete with that right now. In a few years, maybe. But not right now.

Mitchell looks pretty much like the scouting report. Freak athlete who has been able to dominate HS and small college programs based on his physical skills. Never really learned how to play basketball. Dude doesn't box out, set screens, play help defense, etc. Maybe he can learn to play basketball, but until he does, I think his ceiling is garbage man in garbage time.

It's difficult (and foolish) to make long term projections based on a handful of preseason games. That being said, it looks to me like the Pistons still need one more piece. Maybe Charlie and Rodney (Charney?) can be exchanged for an effective guard.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  16. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Last year, Dre was 37.1%.

Is 50% a reasonable improvement for this season?
  17. linwood

linwood All-Star

Yeah, I think so. I would be really excited to see 60%!
  18. roscoe36

If Dre could shoot 60% from the line, he would be a 20 PPG scorer.
    linwood likes this.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

50% is pretty much the threshold where hack-a-_____ doesn't make sense anymore since it results in an expected value of 1 point when they send him to the line... which is about what a team should expect to get by running their normal half court offense.

Since we would prefer to keep him on the court in crunch time, it would be really nice if he stabilized somewhere north of that number. At 37.1%, every coach in the league will target him.
  20. Walter

Next year brotha.

This year, I hereby project 48.4% FT shooting for Andre. He's going to average 9.8 pts 11.2 rebs, 2.1 blocks, 1.8 steals.
    linwood likes this.