2013/2014 NBA Trades, Signings, FA, and other Happenings

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Jun 20, 2013.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Despite the lets get rid Flip sentiment all through 2007 & 2008, we would have been closer to .500 in each of the last 5 seasons sticking with him than what we got with Tablecloth, Cluelessster or Frankfurter....despite the flawed rosters. Unfortunately .500 isn't good enough for any passionate fan whose team went to the EC 5 years in a row.

The big unknown that I am sure was beaten to death in the DetNews forum in 2004 and 2005 was could we have won that title with Carlisle?
    Nemo likes this.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I am not so sure about Flip Dre. We've had bad coaches and problems with talent. The teams the last few years haven't been in the top half of the league talent wise. A coach can only close so much of the gap.
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think they need to do the rebuild from top down. The players aren't signing themselves.

This organization is a mess.
    Slippy likes this.
  4. Ernie the Slow Adult

I'm not sure what's happend the last two days, but something has changed.

This feels like rock bottom.
    linwood likes this.
  5. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

In the long run, this is the right move. You can shuffle things around, but the lack of depth on so many levels within this organization is going to take time and money. At best a three year plan will have to suffice. And you will have to hit on all categories on trades and FA.

Is the trust level there from Gores to JD? It may be at the 50/50 level, but Gores knows a very big thing about the fox and hedgehog.

This latter point might be an interesting conversation for starting a new thread.

A big hint from my end would favor JD.
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

They've had a problem with structure and balance. How many games have they played since they traded Billups where they could realistically play their top 8 players? 10? 20?

2009-10 - AI, Rip and Stuckey coached by Curry
    2010-12 - Rip, Gordon, Stuckey coached by Kuester
    2012-13 - Monroe/Drummond, Calderon/Stuckey coached by a guy who went missing and no one noticed!
    This season - Why even bring it up x2?
  7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Joe should just sit in the stands playing cards on his Blackberry during the games from here on out.
  8. LA Dre

Joe is a lame duck. Anybody know where he lives? I suspect a for sale will pop up on his lawn in early April.

We should start scanning the stands the last month of the (Pistons) season to see if Gores is sitting there with his new GM,
  9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Calderon/Stuckey should read Calderon/Knight.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Joe's probably going to go to Cleveland and then sign LeBron and ensure another decade of employment.
    linwood likes this.
  11. LA Dre

You know you maybe right there. Dan Gilbert has always wanted to take things from Detroit. Took Fred McLeod, tried to take Larry Brown, and took Ben Wallace.......lame duck Joe is probably next
  12. linwood

linwood All-Star

I think Larry was out of here no matter what Joe did. That being said, I think it's time for a new GM. I love Dumars, and that 2004 team was one of the greatest sports stories of all time. But it's been a decade. Time to look to the future.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I meant Carlisle. Might not have nabbed the ship... but might have also knocked down several.
    linwood likes this.
  14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Carlisle was a Chuck Daly disciple. I always liked him. He was great in Detroit, Indiana, and now Dallas. Should have stayed here, but as I recall the story, Mr. D didn't like how he carried himself around the office or with the secretaries or something.
    linwood likes this.
  15. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Dumars did not have aces for trades, at best tens and soldiers - and everyone offered sixes and fives for these, I presume. No deal. And one more thing - Gores was behind of Jennings trade.
  16. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Yea, he lives in Bloomfield Hills..Northwest of the intersection of Lone Pine Road and Telegraph Road
    TaS likes this.
  17. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Problem with JD is I think he's been swatting away all the flies.
    Gores is just watching the Stream now.......nothing else to look at.

I projected a 10 year wait to get back to .500 after Flip was dismissed.
    I don't like the way things are looking now...
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The good news about no trade is that we have a ton of cap space for our new gm (phil jackson?) and there is still a chance that we can see josh smith come off the bench to see if our current team can work. I have hope that it can.
    linwood and Nemo like this.
  19. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

A new GM is needed because 10 years is already too long but Phil Jackson ? Are you serious ? Dude will never come unless we got a savior or two in place.
  20. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

You're right. If Joe stays for some reason, the Pistons are screwed, because he likes Monroe and will fill that space with Monroe's contract. With a different GM, however, because Monroe is an RFA, there's still the possibility of a sign-and-trade with some team near or above the cap that wants him more than the $12 million worth of players/picks they would have to send back in exchange. They could sign Monroe for $12 mil and ship him to the Knicks for Bargnani and a pick, San Antonio for Leonard and Splitter (my dream, beneficial for both teams, not going to happen), the Kings for a pair of their 6-million dollar men (Landry/Thompson/Williams/Terry) and a pick, to Chicago with Jerebko for Boozer, to the Clips for Reddick and Crawford, to the Nuggets for Gallinari, or to the Rockets for Asik or Lin. Whether Monroe would actually be interested in going to those teams or whether those teams would have any use for him is the big issue; he could just decide to out-and-out sign with a team like Washington and the Pistons would either have to match (not worth it, IMHO) or let him go for nothing, and it's not like the $5.5 million savings for not having him is going to be all that useful. The only chip the Pistons have left in that pot is the fact that they can just sign him and keep him and other teams couldn't do anything about it, but overall the leverage they have is somewhat limited.

The same options, pretty much, exist for sending out Smith, though it's clear that his market value is much lower. As far as him coming off the bench, that's not happening, and actually the team is better off (statistically, at least) pairing him with Drummond than it is pairing Monroe with Drummond; although any of the three two-man combinations in that group results in a ppp+ squad, the team averages about a +.06 ppp difference with Smith and either Drummond or Monroe, compared to a +.01 difference with Monroe and Drummond.

That's why everyone knows that the best option is to flip Monroe to a cap-treading, big-lite, SF-heavy team. Drummond and Smith - for different reasons - aren't going anywhere, so Monroe is the odd-man out.