2013-2014 Michigan Mens Basketball

Discussion in 'Other Hoops Talk' started by LA Dre, Nov 17, 2013.

1. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Nothing sweeter than beating Crean and Indiana. Great season for the Wolverines.
  2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Michigan has no zone busters and relied too much on the three when they didn't need to in crunch time. They finally got in for the Morgan bucket and dodged a bullet in the end for the win.

They almost blew a 13 point lead when the Illini went to the 2-3 zone. Other teams will try to exploit the zone in the tourney so they got to keep both Morgan and Horford out of foul trouble and stop relying on the three ball.
  3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You mean they didn't have zone busters today? Between Stauskus, Irvin, and LeVert, you've got 3 guys that shoot over 40% from 3-point land. The team leads the Big Ten in 3-point percentage at 39.7%.
    Nemo likes this.
  4. LA Dre

Yes sort of....but what I meant to say is that they couldn't penetrate in those last 12 minutes of the game or get into the lane for the easy two like the Illini were doing. If the threes aren't falling and the defense knows what your game plan is, the opposition can exploit it and it appears that the Illini had the momentum to win that game if not for the missed shot in the end.

You got to find someone to try to penetrate as Tirico and Dan were saying...Stauskus was lazily camped out on the perimeter tossing up jumpers and we know he has the ability to go inside.
  5. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

If Michigan wins this tourney...they could get the #1 seed.
  6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I see. Usually, long-range shooting is referred to as zone-busting.
  7. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

The seedings are pretty much set: NUMBER ONES : 1. FLORIDA 2. WICHITA ST 3. ARIZONA 4. KANSAS (if they make Big 12 Finals-it was the best conference )
    TWO SEEDS: TWO SEEDS ARE SET BY RANKINGS OF 5TH BEST TO 8TH BEST...so if you go by conference/tourney champs, it should be BIG 10, ACC, BIG EAST and Best of remaining conferences-that makes it(BASED on my predictions) : 5. MICHIGAN/WISC 6. DUKE/VIRGINIA 7. VILLANOVA 8. LOUISVILLE
    THIRD SEEDS are the best of the conference tourney champs 9-12 or finalists: 9. MICH/WISC 10. DUKE/VIRGINIA 11. CREIGHTON 12. IOWA ST
    FOURTH SEEDS are the best of the rest so look at 13. SAN DIEGO ST 14. MICHIGAN ST 15. SYRACUSE 16. OHIO STATE/CINCINNATI
  8. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

SO THE BRACKETS WOULD BE:
    FLORIDA LOUISVILLE WISCONSIN CINCINATI
    WSU VILLANOVA DUKE SYRACUSE
    ARIZONA VIRGINIA CREIGHTON MICHIGAN ST
    KANSAS MICHIGAN IOWA ST SAN DIEGO ST
  9. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

BUT they would move Syarcuse and Cincinati from teams they have already played (Duke and Louisville)
  10. LA Dre

I am just disappointed that Nebraska blew their lead vs the Buckeyes this afternoon. The Buckeyes always find a way to get in the semis or finals in the B10 tourney and any OSU- M matchup scares me. Plus, with the Huskers being on the bubble, the loss may have hurt their chances to get in the big dance.
  11. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

It should scare M fans. OSU has nothing to lose. They should be pretty loose. 'Course, M really doesn't have much to lose either.
  12. LA Dre

Once again the Wolverines survive a comeback after leading by 16 in the first half and 12 in second and beat the Buckeyes...72-69.

Toldya I was scared of them.:nailbiting:

After falling behind by three, Michigan closes out the game on a 7-1 run with help of the Buckeyes Aaron Craft.

Craft sat down with his 4th foul with about 11 minutes left in the game. He came back in with 2:55 left in the game with OSU up one, 68-67. GRIII hit two FT to put M up 1.

Craft was fouled and missed 2 FT that would have put the Buckeyes back up by one.

After Stauskus made a reverse under the hoop highlight shot to put the Wolverines up by three, , Craft misses a 3 pt shot with 90 seconds left that would have tied the game. The teams traded one FT a piece and with six seconds left, Craft gets the rebound goes down the court to try to tie the game and loses the ball trying to shoot a three for the tying hoop.

Bottom line....should have left him on the bench:biggrin:

This would have been heartfelt loss for the Wolverines if they suffered the loss, after opening the game on a 15-2 run......and then after allowing the Buckeyes to close the gap to 4 at the half, jumping off to a 54-42 lead to open the second half.

For consistency purposes Michigan shot 53.2% from the floor, 52.2% from the 3 point line and 52.6% from the FT line and that poor shooting could have cost the game in the end. (Morgan 2-7)
  13. Nemo

#1 seed...I can almost taste it.
  14. LA Dre

Not sure now.....A big win over Wisconsin tomorrow may have put them there, but if MSU holds on to beat the Badgers today, not sure if a third win over Sparty would do it...
  15. Nemo

I'm guessing a BIG 10 tourney win...and it's theirs. :) :dancingparty:
  16. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

enjoying my day In Carolina watching both games at CBSSports.com on my back porch (sunny and 65 degrees) becuz the freekin ACC tournament is on ESPN AND the LOCAL CBS network (a grandfathered deal with the old Raycom network)...Thank God for the internet!!!!!!
    Michigan locked up a 2 today and will get a ONE SEED with a win On sunday.
    Sparty looks like i said they would slamming Wisconsin at the half....They are the 4 seed NO ONE wants to play!!!
    Nemo likes this.
  17. Nemo

Glad to see you saw the light.......
  18. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

what LIGHT??? Draws are dtermined MORE by what the losers DO than what the WINNERS DO!
  19. Nemo

About 8-10 posts ago, you had your seedings listed.
    You stated in CAPS that Michigan wouldn't be a #1 seed.
    Now you have changed your mind...in other words...you've seen the light.
    I think Michigan WINNING the Big 10 has a lot to do with a #1 seed.
    Now...they better win...or else Billlaimbeer will show up.
  20. LA Dre

OK I have studied the teams and you are correct. The Villanova loss to Seton Hall yesterday puts M in the #1 seed if they win tomorrow. But it needs to be a convincing win. A win over the higher RPI rated Badgers would have guaranteed the # 1 seed... They cannot comeback to win or barely hold on to win over Sparty ...

Other wise Duke could take a # 1 seed if their win over # 6 Virginia is more convincing than Michigans win over #22 MSU.

A loss by Michigan of course drops them to 2. Wisconsin probably drops to a 3 seed now, unless the committee rewards them for their almost failed comeback and their high #9 RPI rating.