2012 Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jun 28, 2012.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree with that. At #9, he HAD to take Drummond.
  2. pass99

pass99 Team Captain Forum Donor

I've been waiting for someone to point this out. You may have added insight in an indirect way: like solving a situation by standing the approach on it's head. JD has now locked down some stability (especially with Kravtsov) on the defensive end, but what about the offensive (number 28 in the league) goals. Our guards will be of no further help. There are numerous slugs who can shoot, but can't run the floor, which is how you climb down from the lofty #28. There is one option floating around which most Piston fans would hate, but this player would be a very good offensive fit.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We talking bout practice? He just got cut by a soccer team that he didn't even try out for.
  4. pass99

5. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

6. max

max All-Star

My point was after years of not getting much offense out of the C spot why do we suddenly demand it now? This is assuming of course that he plays C and Moose goes over to the 4.
  7. pass99

No, you have the wrong mixture. On a running team he goes 3-4.
  8. pass99

Nemo likes this.
  9. Nemo

Pass99............you state this like you had lunch with him........somehow, I believe you. :)
  10. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Thank god we're looking at Easy Beeze.
    The thought of going into the season with only 6 Small Forwards on the roster scares the (expletive) out of me!

Heck, that would actually give us no less than 10 guys who could potentially play some form of Small Forward.
    I should probably dust off lee's rotations thread for this but here's a possible "medium ball" lineup:

Tay: SFPG
    C-Magg: SFSG
    Beasley: SFSF
    Jerebko: SFPF
    Singler: SFC

Reserves:
    Stuckey:SFPG
    English: SFSG
    Middleton: SFSF
    Daye: SFPF
    Villanueva: SFC

The Pistons might win as many as 9 games next season with this group!
  11. Nemo

Since JD is building towards a roster of 25 players, 6 small forwards isn't unreasonable....... :)
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Now that JD has his hands untied, I'm guessing that he is getting ready to unload some of our SF's.

Here is our SF depth chart IMO:
    1) Prince (too good and too old for us at this phase).
    2) Jerebko (potentially a weak PF. he will probably play in every game where he is healthy as a starter or off the bench).
    3) Singler (almost a first round draft pick at #33. MVP of final four at Duke. Full year of development in the overseas. Could get minutes or could get buried.)
    4) Daye (almost a graduate of the push-up academy. Can hit scoreboard with medicine ball. Went from heir apparent to Prince to possible nobody in 1 season.)
    5) Middleton (typical 2nd round wildcard. Probably won't get a chance before the other guys in front of him).
    6) Villaneuva (although he's arguably a weak PF. Will probably never see real time at SF, but will be part of bench small ball at PF).

That is really a high percentage of the roster at one position. We can shed 2 of these guys easily.

Do you guys thing there is a plan here? What are your guesses?

I could imagine some trades for future draft picks and small expiring contracts/ role players at different positions.
  13. BallDon'tLie

It's had to say if Joe has a plan given his afinity for unballenced rosters and the fact that we haven't seen a "plan" in such a long time that I forgot what one looks like.

I'd like to note that you left out Maggette and Stuckey has seen time at SF in the past as well.
    IMO - Day is at the absolute bottom of the depth chart.
  14. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

You get Daye if you add upp the shooting of JMax, the D of Chaz, the build of Tay, the handle of V-Mack, the agility of Abdenour and the mental strenght of [???] (I couldn't come up with anyone as mentally weak as Daye even by googling, he makes Darko look like Balboa).

Get that dude out of here.
    The Panda likes this.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

In 2011, Daye shot the same percentage from 3-point land as Ben Gordon and attempted them with the same frequency. His WS/minute was the same as Ben Wallace's and was higher than Prince/ Hamilton/ Gordon and many others.

There was a reason that we were high on him going into the 2011/12 season. His shooting percentage ended up plummeting. His rebounded suffered a little. But his assist, steal, and block rate all increased. To me, this is just a shooting slump that probably had a cause. He did have a 28 point game against the Heat last year.

I'm aware that he might be on a path to a 2nd tier European club team, but am also hopeful that he will turn out to be a reliable deep threat with just enough of a handle and length to make a contribution.
  16. BallDon'tLie

Boobie Gibson ruined him.
  17. J-Train

J-Train Bench Warmer Forum Donor

It will be an interesting summer league for Daye. Two summers ago, he rode a nice summer performance into a solid regular season. We'll see if last year was just a prolonged shooting slump, exacerbated by the condensed schedule, or if he really just sucks.

He might be headed toward a solid Euro career.
  18. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Considering these facts, is it fair to assume that Arnie Kander deserves some blame for ruining Daye's shooting stroke?
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It could be a Tiger Woods type situation. He broke down this game in the short run only to come back stronger in the long run.
  20. BallDon'tLie

If anyone can ruin your Daye, it's Arnie Kander.