Lions 2012 Detroit Lions !

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by TheeTFD, Jan 29, 2012.

1. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

B.Brooks thinks the Lions might go Dline with the first pick.
    ------
    1. 23
    2. [​IMG]
    3. Whitney Mercilus
    4. DE
    5. Illinois
    6. The declining play of Kyle Vanden Bosch and free agent status of Cliff Avril could lead the Lions to make a play for the most productive sack artist in college football last season. Although some have labeled Mercilus as a one-year wonder, his production and athleticism are tough to ignore.
    7. Pick No.
      [​IMG]
      MARK BARRON
      SS
      Alabama
      The Steelers have a strong reputation for grooming young players for pivotal roles. Barron would give the team an instinctive defender to groom behind Troy Polamalu and Ryan Clark.
  2. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Look for the Lions to take Boom Herron out of OSU with the first pick.
    They will never get caught short handed in the backfield again..........
    Taking Jahvid Best was a risk as other teams passed him up due to concussion issues.
  3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I guess when Best first cracked his noggin it never healed right.
  4. Nemo

Got an idea of a free agent to look at this off-season.

Apparently Wes Welker is available.......and NE is very cheap.

Also, fans over there are comparing him to Bill Buckner.

Imagine having Wes as our 2nd option at WR........

He made 2.1 million last season. His salary cap # is only 4.1 million.

We've got 10 guys who make more than that.

I'd trade them Suh....even up in a sign and trade deal.

NE won't give him what he's worth......

If he feels unwanted........Detroiters would love this guy.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Suh what?
  6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I'd try and get more than that for Suh. WRs don't usually transfer well.
  7. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I'd rather waive Megatron and Stafford than trade Suh.
  8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Suh is a cornerstone. He ain't going nowhere.

With Leshoure, Best, and Smith, they have some pretty darn good running backs if they could keep them healthy. I can't see the Lions drafting another running back in the first 4 rounds.
  9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I started this post in the Eagles Thread today (so please read that one first for a background), but I want to hear from Lions fans.

The Lions need a Cornerback. Bad.

A month ago this was printed:

http://www.freep.com/article/201201...t-Lions-almost-traded-Eagles-CB-Asante-Samuel

So the Lions made a big play for the Eagle's Samuel, apparently. The Eagles have one too many great corner backs.

The Eagles need a "Future Franchise" quarterback. After the top two go in the draft, there are several guys bunched together after that. Kirk Cousins perhaps shot to the top of the list after his Senior Bowl performances.

The Eagles hold the 1st round pick of #15, but they won't reach that high for him.

They have the 14th and 19th pick of the 2nd round. it is thought that they will need to use one of those to draft a "Franchise Quarterback of the Future".But I think Seattle (who has spoken with Cousins), the Chiefs, and even hated Dallas are looking for quarterbacks and draft ahead of the Eagles in the 2nd round.

The Lions hold #28 in the 1st round.

So...if you were the Lions General manager (and personal good friends with Piston's General Manager 356), would you do the following twist on the deal if it were offered (and I have no idea of course if the Eagles would do it).

Trade your 1st round #28

to the Eagles for Asante Samuel AND a 2nd round draft pick. (or maybe a 3rd rounder if that was all you could get)??

Samuel still has a few good years left in him and if the Lions think they can win the Super Bowl in the next couple of years...
  10. Nemo

I don't feel the Eagles view Cousins as a future franchise QB........

New England probably does........

You're really thinking out of the box on that one Darth.....

Deal sounds fine with me though....
  11. Woody

Woody All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

First, the Lions pick is #23, not #28.

Second, they're not going to the Super Bowl next year. (OL and CBs are weak - still)

Renting a CB for a few years is not my idea of taking the BPA.

You've been watching the Spartans too long!!
  12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Moog you need to snap out of it !
    Tate that's not how the Lions are building now. It's up front now then peripherals.
    A.S. would be an upgrade but you're solid at QB with Vick and [not Young] the young guy.
    You didn't get nothing for that guy that went to Az [compensatory]?
  13. Darth Tater

#1. "Tate that's not how the Lions are building now. It's up front now then peripherals".

You know the Lions a lot better than I do, but this article I posted a few posts above indicates they want Samuel pretty bad. At least they did a year ago, but I don't think they've filled that need yet so I'm not sure what has changed since then? IMO the Lions are one of the best teams in the NFC. I think Asante would be a great fit. You guys would love him. He plays off the ball and gets burned occasionally, but he picks off a ton of passes and talks so much trash even to his own team mates. He is one of the best backs out there. But a team only needs two and the Eagles have three (Cromartie and Asomougha). Personally, I'd rather see Cromartie go but it's a money thing, I think.

http://www.freep.com/article/201201...t-Lions-almost-traded-Eagles-CB-Asante-Samuel

............................................................................................................................................................................................................................

# 2. A.S. would be an upgrade but you're solid at QB with Vick and [not Young] the young guy.

The young guy is Kafka. He clearly isn't their man. I talked about it in the Eagles thread but nobody on their staff is pretending he is their man. He was the #3 behind Young. They like the kid but nothing special. I think they are going to use a 2nd rounder on a quarterback and only if they don't move up (package their number one (15th), and Samuel, and the 2nd rounder (19th) they got from Arizona for kolb (see below), maybe?
    As I said in the other threat. Trent Edwards will replace Young but he is a temp. They will draft a guy and say goodbye to kafka.

............................................................................................................................................................................................................................

#3. "You didn't get nothing for that guy that went to Az [compensatory]"

Most people would strongly disagree with you. "That guy" the Eagles traded to Arizona was quarterback Kevin Kolb. Kolb isn't doing anything for Arizona. The Eagles received Dominique Rodgers Cromartie AND the 19th pick in the 2nd round in 2012. They can get a really good player with that pick or use it to trade up. I would say the Eagles did really well on that deal.

The Eagles are one of the best at wheeling and dealing out there.

The Eagles are great at stockpiling picks year after year. (About 13 last year and 10 this year). Unfortunately they don't use those picks very wisely as they are average drafters. The word is that they try to shock people to show how smart they are rather than draft the logical guy. Pretty dumb if that is true.

IMO, The Lions cold use a veteran corner back right now more than a rookie who will take a couple years to come along. i think they can make a play for the NFC right now with a couple of pieces. Big pieces, however.

But now I don't think the Eagles will do it. I'm thinking they can get what they want with a 2nd rounder.
  14. Nemo

Last year.........AS was a consideration....a strong one.....as part of a plan to acquire free agents to help bolster the team. Things look differently this season. The Lions did well last year and so their financial obligations have drastically increased due to anticipated worth of the current roster. That means we have to go cheap this off season so we can sign the likes of megatron and Avril to huge contracts. We still need AS as much as last season.......and his signing would really help at this important juncture in Lions history. However, we're still paying several people (Raiola and left tackle) hefty contracts and cannot afford such luxuries until the salaries are smoothed out and cap room is made.
  15. Darth Tater

That is true. There is a hard cap of 120 million. The Lions at 113 are up there.
  16. Nemo

Look at what New England's numbers look like. Look at individual salaries.
    Kinda makes you sick to think their payroll vs ours.
  17. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I hope this blinds you.
    #3 has a ? after it. So I don't know what you're whining about. Eagles are stocked. They just need consistancy at QB and Dline.
  18. Darth Tater

For some reason it is difficult to type. I can barely see for some reason. :)

True. I missed the question mark.
    But whining? I thought I politely responded to, what I believed, at the time, was your opinion.
  19. Woody

Woody All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I can't read anything.

The only thing worse than Tater's yellow type, is TFD's light blue type.

At my age, blindness is approaching.

You guys are not helping me a bit. :bigeyes::bigeyes:
  20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

sorry, Wood you can hold down click and pass over it like you're going to copy and that inverts it.