U of M 2012-2013 Michigan Football

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Nemo, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Michigan has recovered from the Rich Rod mistake.
    Continued drafting success should place Michigan in regular BCS contests.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I guess the bowl game is the venue to prove it.

Here is a BR article that details the QB situation coming up.
    Michigan Football: Granting QB Devin Gardner a Fifth Year Is a Game-Changer | Bleacher Report

If you don't feel like reading it, here is the summary:

- Gardner was injured 4 games into his freshmen season. This means that he'll almost certainly be granted a medical exception redshirt status and will have an extra year of availability. So, he can be the QB in 2013 and 2014.

- Shane Morris will almost certainly redshirt then and will be the backup in 2014, then the starter in '15, '16, and '17.

I've seen some footage of Morris' HS games and he definitely looks like he is accurate, has a strong arm, and is fairly comfortable running and pump faking. It's probably smart to redshirt him, let the new strong recruiting class get established, and then try to take it to the next level.
  3. Nemo

The Bowl game is close at hand. We're playing the South Carolina Gamecocks.
    I'm not sure what a gamecock is...don't even know if it's animal, vegetable, or potato.
    Anyways.......they've won 15 straight games outside their conference.
    The Gamecocks are a 5.5 point favorite. Their record was 10-2, and they're ranked 10th.
    Jadeveon Clowney is a formidable DE, but will line up against our all-american.
    I think we can beat these guys with Gardiner starting and tippy-toes in the backfield.

Michigan 33 - South Carolina 21

BTW.....congrats to MSU for winning the 8 piece McNuggets bowl.
    TheeTFD and roscoe36 like this.
  4. Nemo

Sure was an exciting game. Loved the coaching job on offense. Gardiner had a tough day hitting his targets when it counted.
    He played a gutsy game though. Told the wife after the ref went blind and called a 1st down that the gods would correct the mistake.
    Sure enough.......nobody blocks clowney and he murders the RB. The starting CB....our best defensive back...who was suspended for this game...sure was missed. Seems like Michigan always gives a good honest effort. Proud to be a fan of theirs.
  5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good game indeed....but the Gamecocks got the big explosive plays, while M with a couple of few tricks, played Bo style move it down the field ball.

The Wolverines held those guys to 8 yards rushing in the first half and were still down 21-10. Although Gardiner had been decent the last few games, the coaches still did not use him out there right with Denard, although it was better than the game plan against OSU. Just wondering if they should have opened the game with Shoelaces at QB to just to see if he had his old mojo....but alas...this game was lost on M's failure to stop the punt return TD and the missed tackles of the Carolina QB on their last TD driving series. So no free coconut shrimp at Outback tomorrow for the Michigan faithful....

Remember when the grand-daddy of them all the Rose Bowl would be on ABC...or even NBC?? Now we are getting it on ESPN and Dr. Oz is being shown on our local ABC affiliate.

Big 10 got roughed up today in the bowl games with Purdue, nebraska and Michigan all losing. Thank goodness Northwestern saving face today with a win Mississippi and the Spartans taking out TCU over the weekend. Minnesota loss to Texas Tech last week and now Wisconsin is already trailing Stanford by two TD's early in the Rose Bowl..........and the undefeated Buckeyes sit at home and watch....
  6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Michigan's record outside of their cozy home is horrendous. But Brady is a good coach and sooner or later they will figure it out.

They were in a nice bowl but I'm surprised they lost to a South Carolina team that I think is even more overrated than Michigan itself year after year after year. They were certainly in position to win but unfortunately for their fans they took the gas pipe big time.

But they DID finish with one more win than a lousy Sparty team. Michigan had a nice season overall and I think they will improve once they quit depending on Denard. That kind of stuff just should not happen. If we could have combined Michigan's offense with the Spartan defense this year we would have had a darned good team. But alas...
  7. Nemo

I think coach wanted to throw it deep (15 yards or more) more often, but Grainger just wasn't on the mark.
    We actually threw more passes than they did.....but SC had much more success passing.
    I didn't want to see Robinson at QB simply because he slipped an fell 5 times. That's a killer in the pocket.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I tried to DVR this thing and it somehow didn't record. Oh well. Can't really say that I see the point in Bowl games when there is nothing riding on them.
  9. Nemo

1. bowl games are for alums to attend and compare the size of their peni bank accounts.
    2. they're a reward for playing above .500 football.
    3. they give fans bragging rights. (My team went to the outback bowl, yours went to the chicken mcnuggetts bowl)
    4. they give the programs exposure...many teams do not get enough of this otherwise.
  10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Ok the Wolverine Denard Era is over and it is time to move on and start cheering for the undefeated second ranked Wolverine Mens basketball team.

Yeah shoelaces will be in the stands at Crisler Arena cheering with the other students but the the team has looked good in it's non-conference schedule and they will now try to prove that the ranking is not a fluke when they play their first conference game on the road at Northwestern on Thursday night.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

3-4 years from a Championship I hope for Hoke.
  12. Nemo

The Denard era will be viewed as an individual era and not a team era.
    Hoke will continue his dogged pursuit of quality players and we'll be back to consistent BCS football soon.
    I'm hoping that nobody declares for the draft and all seniors are back for next season.
  13. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

The lack of real skill on the defense showed, GM has been getting the defense to look great with smoke and mirrors for 2 years now, Floyd being suspended hurt even more. With talent on its way on the defensive side of the ball..... I hope to see the defense remind us of the 97 def.

the record looks bad.... but break it down and you realize how good they are IMO, better then last year for sure.

besides a lose to Neb every lose was to a top 10 team. 3 loses between 4 teams.... expect to see a big step up next year though.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Look at the combined losses that the teams that beat us had. I'm definitely not disappointed by the results. Clearly we weren't good enough and we put in good effort. It's all about fully rebuilding the defense in time for the Shane Morris era. Looks like he'll be redshirted and will have an extra year to get ready for the big leagues.
  15. Nemo

There's a wide gap between UM and MSU again.

I'm figuring 10-2 for Michigan and 6-6 for state next season............
  16. Darth Tater

You're taking your ugly bowl game defeat much too hard.
  17. Nemo

I was very pleased with the way the team played. Gardiner had a bad day.
  18. Darth Tater

Yeah. The offense was lost without their one man show. Gardiner didn't stand a chance.

That leaves the defense. The one that gave up a mere 33 points. Not to mention a 33 yard bomb for A touchdown with 11 seconds remaining in the game.

But hey, one mans "pleasing" concerning his teams bowl performance can be another mans "pathetic". They are close. Both words start with a "p". LMAO.
  19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Gamecock: waterfowl bird, hunted for food
    Hey sometimes you're the dragon sometimes you're the gamecock.
    How much money did UoM bring in ?
    Rose Bowl not on major network-must be worth more now, $15M ? !
    A gamecock or game fowl is a type of rooster with physical and behavioral traits suitable for cockfighting. The first use of the word gamecock, denoting use of the cock as to a “game”, a sport, pastime or entertainment, being in 1646.[1] after the term “cock of the game” used by George Wilson, in the earliest known book on the sport of cockfighting in The Commendation of Cocks and Cock Fighting in 1607. Game fowl are more closely related to their wild cousins "jungle fowl"; a shy wild chicken from forests in South Central and Southeastern Asia. Game fowl are physically more similar to jungle fowl than domestic chickens and are bred to retain these physical attributes as well as the jungle fowl's natural territorial instinct. This instinct among sexually mature males is the driving force behind their desire to dominate (and eliminate) other males that would compete for breeding rights in their territory. Hens also will often have an above average need for territorial dominance. In some bloodlines the hens must be kept separate, just as with the cocks. Domesticated chickens – in contrast – have been bred over many generations to cohabitate on farms or other smaller pieces of land. Because of this change in environment, the aggressive attributes found in wild chickens (and modern game fowl) are not desirable for farm life. The "gameness" or fighting spirit has been bred out of domestic chickens. Domestic chickens are primarily bred for egg and meat production.
    Wikipedia
  20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Gamecock undeated at home. Beat Georgia Bulldog. Losses to LSU and Forida Gator on road. Spurrier coached teams can make the big play.
    SEC West schedule.